8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Mandatory Price Listing in "Films For Sale" Sections (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mandatory Price Listing in "Films For Sale" Sections
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second OBO with a stated price...although I'm not much for "B.O." in general... [Wink]

I also think people who really aren't interested in buying should stay off these threads.

We shouldn't worry a tremendous amount about regulating these sales. We've had more than a decade here and not a lot of complaints. I find wherever you go in this little universe of ours, be it live in person, on paper or on the 'net you keep running into the same couple of dozen people. When somebody shafts somebody else, word gets around pretty fast.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure what there is to understand, if it is for sale there must be a price,
If you are selling to "offers" then ebay is your place. Simple.
You dont go to Tesco and not know the price you are paying, would you pick up a trolley full of stuff that said open to offers? then go to the till and be asked what do you want to pay, and then the person get asked behind you whats your offer on this, it wouldn't happen. Its either for sale or its for auction.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't retail. There are no accountants upstairs to get upset.

No matter what the official price policy is everything is negotiable anyway. I can ask a hundred, and you can offer me 75 or a trade or a hearty handshake.

If that's the best offer I get, whether I said "OBO" or not, It's up to me whether I stick to my price or not.

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for requiring prices on films and equipment offered for sale on the forum [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, i do agree with with there 100%, but if a price is asked and an offer is made thats different, what some people are clearly doing is getting other forum members to put in in there bids which to me is ebay without fees. This is not an auction website. [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2016 02:09 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Just because members are 'put off' buying from sellers who don't list prices doesn't mean they are not interested in buying. Just that they don't want to get involved in underhand selling scams.
If they were not interested in buying at all then they would not get involved in this thread!
If the rule is to list prices then uphold the rule. Otherwise throw it out. But it is obvious that the majority are in favour of the rule.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 02:31 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't throw-in about this earlier, as all the thoughts have been typed-in - I must agree with prices, first of all - Like Gary mentioned, otherwise it then becomes a seller's private auction (so to speak) - On the retail end of it, there is no "market" or "book" on films - Most every collector item; Stamps, Comics, Coins, Toys, Figurines, Recordings and the such, all have an accompanying book to help (sometimes hinder)the prospective buyer - When posting a film or films to sell, a price or prices must be linked to it - It would be ludicrous for me to list "Chaplin RBC GOLD RUSH For Sale; PM-me for Price" - Taint fair nor polite not to include the public - I also strongly agree that photos must be included with any film offered, boxed or not - Particular emphasis should be on the soundtrack, titles, countdown-leader, etc - My vote is, make it a standard rule, use price and not think twice - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm getting at is people who aren't really aren't interested in buying the thing at all, even in cases where the price is listed and even reasonable.

There have been cases a couple of times a year where somebody has put up a sales ad and someone else has come on and criticized the item for sale, the price requested and sometimes even the film gauge involved. You can tell from what they are saying they aren't at all interested: just kibitzing.

We are all entitled to our opinion, but whether it's intentional or not this comes across as trying to torpedo the sale. It's easy to take that kind of thing personally.

I can see somebody thinking the price is too high when they seriously want the thing: contact the seller, make a best offer. If you make your case maybe you'll get what you want for what you are willing to pay.

If they ask for the moon and get it too, more power to them!

I agree rules are needed, but let's keep them commonsense, few as possible and lets' also try to police our own selves.

-Doug is a busy guy: let's not turn HIS hobby into a full time, unpaid job!

I'm bending on a price always being stated here, but any commonsense way of exchange should be fine: $100 or best offer, 67 GBP or trade for...", looking to trade for..., 63 Euro negotiable..., $50,000 FIRM. (Dream ON!)

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Appreciate your clarification. Now I understand your comment.
My mistake - your fault [Wink] [Razz]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,

Let's heave the spanner into the machinery properly!

If you place an ad looking for films or equipment...

-do you have to say what you are willing to pay?

(heh, heh, heh, hehhhhh!)

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2016 04:18 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
To say that you are going off at a tangent would be a mathematical understatement. What you are describing is not an invitation to get involved in a seller scam. It is just a declaration of hopeful expectation.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 05:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah!

-but we've left the business department and we are now in the realm of philosophy!

1) Is not a buyer unwilling to state what they are willing to pay wasting the time of prospective sellers? (Do I have to search through my stuff only to find out they are willing to pay me with postage stamps and twine?)

2) Is every seller wanting to make as much as possible trying to engage is some kind of scam or maybe sometimes engaging in their own hopeful expectations? (Are sellers scammers, but buyers never?)

3) There is such a thing as a reverse auction where several sellers compete for the sale by bidding down what they are willing to charge. Could a buyer unwilling to state a purchase price be encouraging this kind of competition?

4) Isn't "Want Elmo 1200 Foot reels, state your price" equal and opposite of "Have Elmo 1200 foot reels, make me an offer."?

(An old boss of mine called this game "S//thouse Lawyer", although I admit I enjoy it a lot more than he did! -especially after HE got fired!)

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 11:17 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This what I don't want to see:

quote:

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent. PM me for the price.

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....) Whaaaat $35 I better buy the sound version

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....) Digest is good...but I prefer to wait for a F/L....it is worth for every penny.

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....) I have the same exact title, it is available for sale too.

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....). Forget about silent version, the sound is is much better.

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....). $35 is too much for this...I am not buying if it even $10.

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....) Hey look the same title is also offered here for better price www.princeofdragonfor$2.com

- I am selling a Disney "Princess of the Dragon" 200', Col, Silent, $35. (And somebody replies....) Where can I buy belt for Elmo ST1200 (!!!...sometime it happens like this :-) )

- etc, etc

you may add up for more cases.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2016 07:28 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
I wouldn't class your scenarios as the realm of philosophy. More like the realm of fantasy.
I think we are drifting from the answer to the question that Doug initially put up for debate - ie. That if sales lists are not accompanied by prices then should the post be deleted?
As the original ruling of the moderators is that prices should accompany a sales list and that this rule is being deliberately flouted, I am of the opinion that they should be deleted to bring these members into line. They will have the option of re-posting according to the rules of the Forum.
I am of the opinion that this should be the way to go. You I think have a different opinion.
Fini

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 13, 2016 08:22 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No point me commenting on mandatory prices as it's very clear what everyone feels about this, but I will say that I fully agree that posts should not be subject to price-related comments from members not interested in buying, such as "No sane person would pay that, but good luck!" This has previously caused quite a bit of annoyance and friction that we would all be better off without.

[ August 13, 2016, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2016 08:33 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all,

listen - just to throw my twopence into the arena - every collector knows to a certain degree what a print is worth - especially if its a rare print - so do us all a favour - if you're selling a print - put a price with it - then only those individuals with the necessary spondolicks will get in touch - and Doug - i am definitely with you - no price - delete the post - lets keep this forum fair and just.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 13, 2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your comments!

Just to be clear, there is no current rule regarding prices.

I believe that will change on Monday.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 13, 2016 02:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully Doug [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 13, 2016 10:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, pls in the new rules also stated that any comments other than sale related are not allowed.

When I say "any"..meaning any...that include encouragement, credit, appraisal, comments on the story...etc.

I found that even good comments can drag into negative when somebody is replying.

Allowed comments only for (e.g): film conditioon, length, number of reels, OB, and sort of.

My 2 cents though,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 13, 2016 11:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded!

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2016 04:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thirded!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 14, 2016 09:08 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fourthed. [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I claim the fifth [Smile] [Wink]

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2016 06:21 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's obvious that if you want to sell anything then you need to give an indication as to how much you want for it. Otherwise, people would be asking that very question and taking up your time. Requests for clarification on what the item is are fine as is haggling over the price. Other comments should not be made.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 15, 2016 10:18 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would prefer to see prices listed. I really can see no reason at all not to do so.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC