8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Opening & Cleaning Elmo lenses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opening & Cleaning Elmo lenses
Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moderator Note:

A duplicate of Jason's sale thread (minus the sales replies) has been placed here because of the great information about opening and cleaning lenses. If you are interested in purchasing any of Jason's remaining lenses, please go the original topic which can be found here.
_________

I have the following lenses for sale, trade for film, or OBO.
The prices do not include shipping. Shipping would be from Japan. Payment by Paypal(friend/family preferred or buyer pays fees).
I still have the following lenses remaining.

Elmo 25-50 1.2 $̶1̶5̶0̶ $100
(The inside of the front element of lens and inner lens element is hazy. It looks like it's fungus.

Elmo 25-50 1.4 $̶1̶0̶0̶ $̶9̶0̶ $75
(Original storage case, lens in very good condition)

Elmo 25-50 1.4 $̶1̶0̶0̶ $̶9̶0̶ $75
(Lens in very good condition)

I can ship these lenses from within the USA if they are bought within the next week.

[ December 21, 2017, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jason,

Have you any documentation concerning "possible" Servicing for ELMO lenses ?

I need to remove front part from a 1.0 lens. It seems Front barel is a 2 parts assembly, however impossible to untighten front ring with fingers only.
I would like to take special cares to do it.
Do you think it is possible rings are assembled with something like soft "Loctite"?
Do I need , as prerequisite, to manage 2 special "soft" gripping tools to allow disassembly of front barrel ?

Thanks in advance

[ November 15, 2017, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 12:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Phil

To open up the Elmo F1.0 lens first you need to remove the rubber from around the lens barrel - simply lift one edge of it with a toothpick or similar then work it around until fully removed.

Then apply isopropyl alcohol to the edge of the lens ring inside and out - make sure it literally drips into the ring so it softens the fixing glue applied by Elmo during manufacture.

Leave for a few hours - then apply masking tape around the barrel to give you more grip - hold tight and twist and it will loosen - no clamps or vices needed.

Hope this helps - I will try and upload some photos soon as I have an F1.0 to strip down here when I get the time.

Kevin.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 10:24 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin for that advice. I attempted in the past once to take apart one of my lenses but gave up.

My Kowa 8Z and Elmoscope II are still available but with stipulations. I only want to sell these lenses to someone who is going to use these for Super 8 or 16mm projection. I also do not want to sell these to someone who is immediately going to resell them.

I'm willing to trade these for Super 8mm,16mm,and 35mm film.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 11:35 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin for these informations.

Do you confirm Alcool Isoprpilic has no effect on lenses and coatings ?

So , I understand it is necessary to immerse lens assembly in vertical position, front lens downward, correct ?

Is it necessary to immerse lens in liquid up to 2 cm level around ?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2017 04:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Phil

I will add photos when I get home late tonight - about 10pm UK time.

The Elmo F1.0 uses all glass optical elements so IPA is fine to loosen the barrel seal - however do not use IPA on plastic element lenses as it may distort and damage them.

I have dismantled and cleaned about 20 Elmo F1.0 lenses this way with no problems at all - I would not have recommended this method otherwise.

You don't need to submerge the lens just use a cotton swab to soak the barrel edges with IPA and it will enter the seal via capillary action - please wait until my 'photos are added tonight.

Kevin.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2017 06:17 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for these additionnal insformations that I take in account as a lens is a very sensible item.

I am away a few days. When I am back I see your pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2017 02:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK - here are the Elmo 'strip down' pictures with basic instructions:

1. Lift rubber outer ring and remove using wooden cocktail stick or similar to prevent scratching the barrel paint:

-

2. Lens with rubber outer ring removed:

-

3. Soak a cotton bud (NOT the lens itself) in IPA alcohol and run this around the full circumference of the lens barrel seal area as shown - really soak this as it will then enter the seal via capillary action:

-

4. Wait a few hours for the original seal to soften - dry off and tape up using Frog tape or similar easy to remove masking tape - this will give you better grip when unscrewing the lens cowling:

-

5: Once unscrewed the front element can easily be removed giving access to clean it and the first of the inner 'zoom' elements:

-

6: If the inner zoom elements are also foggy then apply IPA again in the area shown, wait another few hours for this inner seal to soften, then use an adjustable lens wrench to unscrew the inner ring - this is a more advanced area and I would not recommend anyone dismantling this section without great care as it is easy to remove the elements and damage them if replaced in the wrong order:

-

Hopefully at least removing and cleaning the front element will help - I use Calocoat lens cleaner for coated lenses - others will recommend distilled water (ie: for irons or car batteries) or even tap water with a few drops of washing up liquid to soften it slightly.

If there is evidence of fungus I use Ponds cold cream left on the lens overnight to soften and sometimes (not always) remove fungus ingress.

Happy lens cleaning!

Kevin.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 16, 2017 11:00 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wooden cocktail stick" -you don't call them "toothpicks"? Just curious!

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Alan

Either will do ( I think they are in fact the same thing) - sharp enough to lift the edge of the rubber, soft enough (ie: wooden) to prevent scratching the barrel paint.

As seen here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COCKTAIL-STICKS-TOOTHPICKS-BAMBOO-CARDED/dp/B000G04M8K

Take your pick!

Kevin

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 01:58 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kevin, thanks for the detailed pictures.

As soon as I get IPA I make a test.

How many times does it need to soften glue on the split line, inside threading area (few hours as 6 hours for exemple)?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Phil

I just use the soaked cotton bud a few times around to make sure the edge of the lens as shown is wet, then wait about 4 hours - it should soften then unscrew with minimal difficulty but you can of course apply more IPA then if needed. Let us know how you get on please.

Kevin

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2017 08:06 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kevin,

I have just applied your method, that works great !!

However , I soak front ring assembly with IPA using a silicon cup (may be 1 or 2cc IPA used) .

I managed a 34mm hole to insure proper sealing.

I filled the cup with IPA above split line for few hours and ring was removed very easily .

SILICON CUP showing a managed 34mm bore using a die tool :

-

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 05:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Phil

Good to hear you got into the lens and I'm sure you will find cleaning it internally will make all the difference.

That is a very clever way of using a silicon cup cake case to create an IPA reservoir around the lens!

Kevin

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 06:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Highly recommend that Kevin's invaluable procedure for cleaning the Elmo 1.0 lens be put into the technical section index.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 02:52 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kevin,

In case I have to go further inside lens, means to remove first lens from the secondary lens barrel assembly (ZOOM Section ?), what do you recommend :

- The outside sleeve is free and the "narrow" nut (ring approx 3mm thickness) can be untightened easily. So that, once the tiny outer radial guiding pin is removed, this sleeve seems to come apart easily.
But what happened after that (I am afraid to discover shim-washers falling down) ???

Is there somewhere an exploded view for the lens assembly ?

Or may be have you more pictures which could help ?

Thanks in advance

Phil

[ December 05, 2017, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 08:58 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One for the Tech Index for sure!
Nice documentation here Kevin! Thanx very much.
I have one lens that I believe could use a cleaning(probably more will) and will refer to this when ready.
Cheers!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great info Winbert I didn't need anything to soften I just grabbed it tight and twisted it turns out my inner lens is dirty so now I gotta order the wrench when that comes off is it just like the outer lens cover?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2018 03:23 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My disassembled Elmo f1.0 and f1.1 photos. Top photo is the f1.0. The f1.1 has many more elements...
 -
 -

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 18, 2018 03:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
superb and invaluable information from both Kevin and Joe, thanks for putting these up. Its mad how many elements make up the 1:1 [Eek!]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC