8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 20 Pictures (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineSea 20 Pictures
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2019 12:37 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
Here we go...first batch from Number 20. Bear with me if there are slight gaps in my postings, but they'll all get there.
You do the usual: after I have posted, someone put a quick note as response so all the posts can stay in one thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------

-

You know the old saying about how "When one door closes, another opens"? Well, that's what happened to CineSea this time.

-

I can't have been the only one who had a 'sinking feeling' when I read Doug's initial e-mail about how our old faithful Ocean Holiday hotel had been sold to be renovated, and that the hunt was on for new accomodations. Thanks to Doug and to Lou for his legwork, we wound up almost right across the street at the Shalimar:

-

-

A lovely hotel with great staff, the same room rates, pool and a heated enclosed meeting room :-) Now all we had to do was get to work and fit ourselves in to the new environment:

-

Windows had to be blacked out:

-

-

...and our screen frame, coming with us from the Ocean Holiday, had to be assembled:

-

----------------------------------------------------------

That's the start. More to come.
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 20, 2019 12:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see more Claus [Smile] Looks like a great venue. What did you use to blackout the windows?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 20, 2019 02:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Window Blackout! [Big Grin]
(Sorry Janice, I could not resist [Smile] )

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 20, 2019 04:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Claus! What a great start.

The Franchetti's get all the credit for finding the Shalimar. When Lou called to tell me, I was ecstatic since I really thought CineSea was done for, at least this year. I drove out that weekend to check it out and thought it was perfect.

Janice, I'm not sure exactly what material Joe Greisbach kindly brought with him on Thursday. What worked well was that it wasn't 100% opaque so that we had a decent general ambient light level while still able to project in the room during the day. Huge thanks to Joe and to everyone who came in a day early to help with the setup.

Our previous space had a 10' tall ceiling....exactly the height of our screen's frame. The new room has a height of 9'. The 1" conduit pipe had to be cut down and a cross bar added to keep the screen fabric taut. This worked out well.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2019 08:04 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary Crawford and I had arrived on Thursday, and more people had made the same decision, to extend the week-end and make the most of the event. Of course, when Gary and Shorty Caruso get together, you have to keep an eye on them. Small wonder Mr. Boland looks worried...

-

As Doug mentioned, the screen was just a little taller than the room:

-

...however, with some trimming of the pipes...

-

...the screen fit as if it had been made for the space. The hotel was very accomodating in removing some ceiling lamps to allow for as clean a throw as possible:

-

Come Friday morning, a tradition: the early birds went for breakfast in Cape May at Uncle Bill's

-

-

-

After this, it was back to the hotel for the real setup to start.

------------------------------------------------------------

More next time.
C.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 20, 2019 09:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have this craving for pancakes......

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get everyone and everything in place:

-

With the new space, we still had two absolutes: the big screen and the throw distance, and the "island" where the Super-8/16mm/35mm machines would sit for the main screenings. Little by little it came together:

-

Shorty Caruso got going on his 8mm film history table:

-

We figured out a good efficient layout for all the tables so everyone could be comfortable and able to move around. Gary Sloan started setting up:

-

Meanwhile, people were arriving. Jason, our long-distance traveller from Japan, joined us again:

-

...and it was time to catch up on contact info and life in general:

-

Gary got a comfy corner for his Pageant and his Super-8:

-

...and Geoffrey started prepping the 35mm:

-

--------------------------------------------------------

More to come.
C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 23, 2019 11:18 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is always so much to bring in and set up. If only CineSea could be longer. More on that thought later....

Doug

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 23, 2019 01:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geoffrey's 35mm projector looks amazing!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 23, 2019 02:18 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, at the 9.5 convention in Harpenden (UK) last Sunday, the Windows were blackouted with black cloths held with shower rods (like this : https://www.manomano.fr/p/tringle-pour-rideau-de-douche-reglable-aluminium-couleur-blanc-reference-05778-7286914?product_id=7558620)

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 23, 2019 02:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the USA Joanne's Fabrics sells window blackout by the yard. It works great, NO light gets through it.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 23, 2019 03:18 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique and Paul. Good to know [Smile]

I'm starting to recognize faces each time I see the Cinesea photos. What a great group of attendees!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 24, 2019 09:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're an interesting bunch! -Many very different people. It's hard to generalize other than to say we all love film!

What's nice about is after twenty of these we've formed kind of a community, and every time has the feeling of a reunion.

I loved the Ocean Holiday: it was far from the perfect venue, but after a while it became kind of like an old pair of shoes: either it adapted to you or you adapted to it and it was comfortable.

-Yet, it is nice not wearing a jacket to Saturday Night Show!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2019 05:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Cool]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2019 10:40 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting things set up also meant putting up our logo and some beautiful foam-core-mounted posters:

-

...and then it was time to start digging in bins, talking and screening:

-

One of the more amazing offerings this time was a big collection of Standard-8 silent classics, everything from Stroheim to Fairbanks. If they had been in Super-8 or (heaven forbid) 16mm, I might just have gone a bit crazy, since that's one of my areas in film:

-

Gotta check the prints. Why not with a cellphone:

-

The hallmark of a showman: whether it's on a tabletop or in an auditorium, a good presentation is a good presentation...

-

...the right angle of screen and projector, a sound processor and a mixer to maximize the limited frequency range of 16mm, a pair of small but suitable speakers and a decent print. Voila, miniature cinema. I can vouch for the little Da-Lite screen, having had one for decades; they are incredibly convenient and compact:

-

Somehow, there are always some films you've just got to take home:

-

These images on display are a good reminder that "we are not alone" at CineSea. Along with our friends in Britain and elsewhere, every show helps keep the flame alive. We can argue over many things, but not over the basic idea that we are (here it comes again...) custodians of both home-release films and, increasingly, also of cinema films:

-

-----------------------------------------------------------

More to come. A bit slow in processing and posting this time due to work, but we'll get there.

C.

--------------------

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2019 11:02 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You so much for taking the time to post these photos.

A) I am so envious I couldn't fly there to enjoy it
B) I am so envious of you guys all hugging and getting together to enjoy cine
C) I want pancakes

A venue that takes out ceiling lights for the projector throw?
bonus, hang on to that venue!

What a great experience for you....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2019 11:03 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The selection was nice this time:

-I not only bought my first 16mm CineSea print, but found it about four friends for the ride home.

What's also nice is we've gotten to know each other and our likes, so at least two people came up to me: "Steve! There's a railroad film on Lou's table!"

-and yes, there was: nice one too!

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2019 11:05 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, start saving for the next one. We'd love to have you, and then you could have pancakes [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 29, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just when I got over that pancake craving....

Doug

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 30, 2019 08:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to all responsible for what was clearly a very enjoyable event. The initiative and skill shown in reducing the height of the screen was impressive! A floor to ceiling picture would worry me a little, though, unless it's possible to avoid sitting behind anyone else.

I wondered who made the Blackpool 2018 display, as that's a superb piece of work? If two film collecting events were ever 'twinned', CineSea and Blackpool would appear to be the obvious ones, although I'm guessing that CineSea visitors experience warmer coastal temperatures!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 31, 2019 08:45 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, that collage was courtesy of David Lucidi, a top technician in the field and a truly caring individual. I had given him the materials and he created the fine tribute - More photos when I come there again and, I earnestly wish some of you chaps would come over here and we would have a bilateral event of it. We'd all have a fine time of it - Next one is April, the weather is fairly mild and a splendid time would be had by all - Cheers, Shorty

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 10:20 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you may recall from the forum, the vote was put up for the Friday Night Feature at CineSea well before the event. This time around,"The Blob" was chosen, to be screened in 16mm. More on that in a bit:

-

As always, looking at gear was fun. When you want to go "wide", the Rectimascope lens (owned by Gary Crawford and others) is a fine choice. The mount fits the hole on the Elmo St-1200...

-

...and the lens, although stout, sits nicely on the machine:

-

...and there you go, Super-8 scope ready for action:

-

Steve Klare and Jack Cleveland, Jack proclaiming his love for all things Lucy and Desi (Jack told me of the wonderful museum in Lucille Ball's home town, Jamestown, NY, where they honor her career.)

-

Come Friday night, we had a pre-show. A episode of the "Monkees" TV show reminded us that not all comedy dates equally well :-) Still, with Lon Chaney, Jr. guest starring, as always, it's fun to see things you don't watch every day:

-

Time for "The Blob". This was a new experience, at least for your Trusty Reporter (!), as the film was a "Marco Print". In other words, it was printed to 16mm from a digital source.

-

The quality was very good. It leads to some interesting philosophizing about film prints, doesn't it? Some might say it's heresy to go this route, while others might simply want a good print, given the state of so many color prints these days. It's truly something new in the hobby:

-

A great night was had by all, and we looked forward to Saturday.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There will be more...

C.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2019 10:40 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Claus !

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 04, 2019 11:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Marco Print", you say?

I'm shocked! My only reaction at the time was "What a nice print!".

It's not even as if it skated by on a small screen: this is a seriously large screen, especially by the standards of what any of us could ever do at home!

I enjoyed The Blob. I hadn't seen it in so long I forgot it's color. It's really good to go back and give the classics like this a good look on a big screen and appreciate them for what they are.

--------------------

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 12:20 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing to think that I have been at Cinesea. Well, a photographic likeness of me on the Blackpool 2018 board, but nevertheless, I was there!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC