8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » The Big Auction Leftovers (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Big Auction Leftovers
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Winbert

Am I to understand that you are selling The Ten Commandments 1x1200' for 25.00? If so, I will but it.

Thanks

PatD

|  IP: Logged

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 04:08 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for doing the math, Winbert.

Yes, everyone got a lot of money. Well, the buyers got film. In some cases, very expensive film. Like you said, 14 of the 285 films on auction sold for over $100 apiece.

Does this mean you are angry that the seller made so much? That eBay and Paypal made a lot, too? That people overpaid for certain titles? All of the above?

Are you never going to sell on eBay again?

We all know that eBay is a racket. Unfortunately, it is THE auction site. It may be the only place to buy and sell that has such worldwide exposure. Yes, I know how much they take from every sale. It sucks. But, it is what it is.

I am caregiver for my invalid mother. I also take care of the house. I do the cleaning , laundry, cooking and shopping. I do not get paid for any of that. eBay, when I can get to it it, is my only income. If I knew I could do better at another site, I would go there. I have tried Amazon Marketplace. I sold more on eBay.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat Sorry I meant "I have bought it". I edited already.

Chris what I meant was that I hardly think to re-sell my films. Everything stays in my collection unless they are multiple or traded with other titles I want more.

I am selling LPs on Ebay for living too [Wink]

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 04:30 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Winbert,

I did not mean to go off on or offended you. I apologize. It has been a really rough week.

What kind of LP's do you sell? Forgive me but I don't remember your eBay name. Do you have a store? I ask because my stock of LP's at Soundtracks and More is dwindling. Do you have soundtracks?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 04:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

No worries.

Although I am more a Hip Hop/Dance music lover but when selling LPs, I only do for progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, PFM and sort of) and 1970s Hard Rock (Led Zepellin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Beatles).

If you have kind of those music let me know.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald - No, I did not get THE EXORCIST (3x400)...(sigh) For that price it should have been the complete feature !!!

Does anyone want to trade their copy to me for one of my features ?

DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP (Jerry Lewis 5x400)
POT O' GOLD (Jimmy Stewart, Paulette Goddard 5x400)
PRISON TRAIN (Fred Keating, Linda Winters 4x400)

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 08:58 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked that the three reel Exorcist went for almost $400! That's incredible... gives me more incentive to finally dub my three reel German print into English.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 02:15 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, best of luck on that re-record. I am in the process of fixing the sound on a 1x400' of "The Exorcist". I tried to use the sound from another print of the same S8 film but trying to get a good sync has been difficult. Also, the sound from the other print is pretty quiet in some places. So, I am reconstructing the digest on video by editing footage together from the DVD. I will then extract the sound and try to sync it up on film scene by scene. Not an easy thing to do. Especially when scenes in the digest are not in the same order as the actual film. Does your German 3x400 also have scenes out of order?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if the person hiking up all of these prices (on digests) might be a "newbie" to super 8, who has no idea as to how much these digests usually go for ...

" You mean I could have paid only what? Son of a B****!"

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, your theory will not work when we see the Exorcist's history of bidding, as follows:

• Member Id: o***u (82 Feedback) US $384.51
  • Member Id: 8***g (916 Feedback) US $379.51
  • Member Id: u***u (57 Feedback) US $351.11
  • Member Id: v***d (127 Feedback) US $300.00
  • Member Id: o***o (410 Feedback) US $135.00
  • Member Id: n***r (1346 Feedback) US $121.00
  • Member Id: 1***b (25 Feedback) US $115.00
There are 7 ebayers who already put their bids above the normal price of this three parter (usually goes between $40-$90). So perhaps there is another factor that we still need to learn about this new phenomenon.

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 03:56 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After it sells it we get reposessed! Is that spelled right? [Confused]

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 10:12 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GUYS! i just have to RAVE about one of the films i won from the seller!

I was lucky enough to get Dumbo [Smile]

I wanted the cinderella ones but i now see who i was bidding against! haha EHM Chris Fries ;P maybe you should sell me your other copies of cinderella that you have [Wink]

But anyways i got dumbo today and OMG THE COLORS!!! The reel is gorgeous! Every color is there no fading AT ALL! No lines or anything its a perfect BRAND NEW feeling reel [Big Grin]

It is so good.. i will be digitalizing this one and will share it with you guys when i have it done [Smile]

I have a quick question, would it be a good idea to run this film with a light coating of vitafilm?? Ive been running coats on all my films but this one is so perfect, i dont want to mess it up.. what do you think? The film says: kodak P safety, what does that mean? im still learning the types of film stock currently. . .

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 12:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony, good to know. I bought 5 reels from this seller and wish they are as good as yours.

As a new collector perhaps you don't know Barry (he is member of ths forum) yet.

He has a website for selling films and if you are looking for Cinderella.... he has plenty of them!

Beleive me, there was a time when Barry gave those kind of Disney films for FREE, due to the number he had.

Now... he has 50% off for his items and Cinderella is among them. He sells the two extracts for GBP 8.5 after discount in one big reel (means GBP 4.25 each).

Ask him to send via Royal maill Small Packet International which will cost you around GBP 3 to USA.

Here is his link:

http://www.bfcc.biz/independent8mm.html

Good luck

--------------------
Winbert

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 12:41 AM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU WINBERT!

Here is a photo from the film!

-

See! great colors! [Big Grin] a little blurry but in person its really sharp actually [Smile]
Video soon

[ February 03, 2012, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Anthony Buhay ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 04:59 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony,

Your copy of "Dumbo" looks great. I look forward to seeing the video.

I was watching the auction even though I have one myself. Here is a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvGqgpDSZxY&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, it has an emulsion problem. There is a discussion about it on another thread.

I decided not to bid on "Dumbo The Flying Elephant". There were too many other films I was trying to get.

I do hope to find a better copy someday. Perhaps I will try Barry. I might get a sound version of "Dumbo Makes The Big Top" as well. I will have to see how well my auctions do tomorrow.

As for Cinderella, here is a preview of the 400' reel I will be selling soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJubylCdRyY&feature=youtu.be

There are a few lines, some fade and one or two splices but over all an OK copy.

The same cannot be said of this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ3X7Spz1bM&feature=youtu.be

This is a 400' of "Lady and the Tramp". It has many problems. In fact, I am not sure I will sell this or not. It's pretty beat up.

Anyway, I hope all films purchased from the lady in Michigan look as wonderful as Anthony's "Dumbo". I will post mine on Youtube as soon I get them but only if my projector is willing to run properly, that is.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 11:31 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony, one aspect of this hobby is indeed "how to get a better print". We can start with a faded print but hunting for non-fade one is another challenge. But this makes our hobby to become more colorful [Wink]

The other aspect is how to create longer digest using several sources (different company or different country of release of the same title).

Later, how to find a rare digests/features that are hardly to come by.

Another aspect that I can think of is how to create customized box.

Last ...being completish... Disney completish, Tom & Jerry completish (it is me..,!), MGM completish (remember Mike Pekham), Universal 8 horror completish etc, etc.

However, last but not least is how to sale our multiple prints as the result of the first one.... [Wink] and if we can recover our cost ...or even make money that is another magical aspect [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 11:57 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Very well said but you left out another possible aspect of S8 film collecting. The fine art of re-recording. I am trying to learn that one now.

As for "getting a better print", I understand that. I really hope the "Lady and the Tramp" reels I just got are, compared to what I have now, better. You see, I am trying to get every 200' Disney animated film digest ever made so I can complete the collection. [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you are right Chris. To grow up the list, I think everyone can contribute to say what make this super 8mm collecting more colorful.

.... oyeah for me another aspect is...how to find a good deal! [Big Grin]

quote:
You see, I am trying to get every 200' Disney animated film digest ever made so I can complete the collection.
So you are taking the last aspect.... being completish. Gian is your partner then. He has all 200' WDHM.... on low fade. Is that correct Gian? [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 04:15 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] i love collecting!

well here is the video, Chris, i think your recording method is best, the color is about the exact same as your print, too bad about the emulsion problem though on yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kq-tJlgTM

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 05:37 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony,

Thank you for the video. It's great to see how it is supposed to look. Are you planning to put up more films on Youtube? I was wondering if you would consider posting them on the thread called "Super 8 Digests on Youtube".

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006532

I never intended to be the only one sharing videos of film there.

Also, you have a very nice Chinon 6100. I have one just like it. It has served me well for nearly 30 years. My current projector is also a Chinon. The SS-1200. Except for my current belt issue, it is also a great machine.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 08:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony, as you mention on the youtube that it is on Kodak SP, your eyes will be blown up when you see the same title on Kodak LPP [Big Grin]

Just stay tune on Ebay, there is a time for that [Razz]

I have some of them and it was not Derann but for WDHM released at the end of super 8mm era (around 1980s).

If you want to get AGFA (which is comparable to LPP) keep your eyes open for cartoons released by Walton Films. Or the easiest one, just contact Barry to find Tom & Jerry on AGFA.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 12:52 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys I got Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger in that auction. I bid at the last second about $50 and won it for $29 it is a fantastic print and has a long leader. good contrast and no fading. There is a shot of Jane Seemore naked in this digest .Wow! I will try to get some shoots for you guys.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 03:28 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like all the film that did not sell is now up for sale.

http://stores.ebay.com/CLC-Garage-Sale-of-Michigan/Mov ies-/_i.html?_fsub=1806668015&_sid=797317995&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

[ February 16, 2012, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2012 11:32 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like everything old is new again. The new auctions are about half over. They just sold the 2x400 "JAWS" for $100. Again. I think. "JAWS" was part of their original auctions. I can't confirm this (I've tried) but I think the original buyer returned it and it got re-listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280823820804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Maybe they had another copy. Maybe not. Check out the newest comments on my video of this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj4EIbiRWUM

I think he was unhappy he paid $100 for a 30 min. version of "Jaws". Then again, I think the original description is misleading. "Super 8mm Universal 8 Films Movie "Jaws" Full Length Part 1 & 2 Roy Scheider".

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally received my film purchase from this lot.

From 5 reels I won (Gigi, Easter Parade, The Champ, Northwest Passage and Small One), as I predicted only Northwest Passage is on low fade.

So here is the screen shots:

-

-

Not bad for 30 years old films, isn't it?

I will also upload the same screen shot on my own thread regarding old films with good color.

BTW, now we can see who are buying those film at crazy prices and none of them are newbies, in fact the buyer of Alien has once bought the very same reel at much cheaper. So he knew the scene.

I don't understand what made him buying for $200+ for the same film....!

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC