8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » cinemascope lens for sale (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cinemascope lens for sale
Joseph Morrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Joseph Morrison   Email Joseph Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I have a lens hanging around that I have never used...its labeled "Benoist-Berthiot S.T.O.P. 8098 Cinemascope. Seems to be in nice shape, no scratches....no idea what projector it fits. Can email photos to anybody interested.....$60 shipped in the US.

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

Please hold it for me...send me a picture please...

[Smile]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Joseph Morrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Joseph Morrison   Email Joseph Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All, until Gerald confirms, consider this still for sale if anybody is interested....

And having just heard from Gerald, I can indeed say that it is still available.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 09:44 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the thread diameter where it would attach to a prime lens?

Joseph Morrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2012 10:39 PM      Profile for Joseph Morrison   Email Joseph Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, well, I don't know. The rear element is about 3/16 shy of an inch in diameter, but there is about 3/8 of an inch of bare sleeve around that rear element before you get some outer threads to do anything with.

-

Joseph Morrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2012 02:40 PM      Profile for Joseph Morrison   Email Joseph Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens is now out with someone for testing.....

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2012 07:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's REALLY small. Its barrel isn't long enough to be a prime lens + scope, but the combination doesn't make sense to me (not seen that many scope lenses, I guess).

Please post what you learn! Maybe we can all learn something!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 08, 2012 09:06 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't look like it will work with my Elmo ST1200. matter of fact, it doesn't look like it will work with anything! Which is probably why it hasn't sold yet. Even at the that low price. [Wink]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 09, 2012 12:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's an actual 2x lens, it will work with any small diameter lens, on any projector, providing you can build a lens holder.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 15, 2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joseph,the lens you have looks very much like the original
cinemascope lens that was sold with the FUJI single 8 P1 & P2
Cine Cameras back in the early '70s and was used on the camera and for projection.The lens and camera received much praise at
the time from "Mr Widescreen" himself,Tony Shapps who ran the
"Widescreen Centre" in the UK for many years.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 16, 2012 07:53 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming back on this subject I seem to remember it was called
the "HYPERGONAR" Cinemascope and was just for 8mm as if
used with 16mm I think there would be to much "cut off" but
for the 8mm gauge the lens was excellent and gave very good
results.I can't recall anyone having any problems with this little
lens which is very well thought of even now.I have a similar lens in my collection but compression on that is 1.5 and gives me
2x1 screen size and pin sharp image.This lens I suppose would
be similar to the KIPTAGON-ISCOMORPHOT 'scope set up that was available some years ago.

Joseph Morrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Joseph Morrison   Email Joseph Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the additional info Hugh, that helps to know. Makes sense too...there was a guy here in the Pittsburgh area who was a big promoter of the Widescreen stuff, so its possible he brought the lens to this region.....

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, do you know where and what lens holder would go well with this lens? Coming to Pasquale's point, do you think it will work with an ST-1200?

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 02:05 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should work with ANY projector providing you have the proper mounting holder for it.

Jon

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 19, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this case, the proper mounting could be duct tape?? [Confused]

Just kidding [Roll Eyes]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 10:11 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would be surprised Pat as to what you can use to hold a scope lens in front of your flat one.

People become very creative so they can watch wide screen movies -
A stand and clamp comes to mind, so would a couple of wooden blocks, a milk crate...

...and the list goes on. [Big Grin]

Jon

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 06:17 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
In reply to Akshays question I was fortunate that my late Father
was a very skilled Fitter & Turner and manufactured various
fittings for me to use in cine like a fitting to take the very small
'scope lens like Joe's that was sleeved to fit over the Eumig lens
but fit inside the Elmo's.There was a place over here in the UK
that made these things but I'm sure they've gone now.Surely
camera shops carry stocks of "stepping rings" etc.At a push you
can manufacture sleeves yourself using plastic tubing from your
local plumbing or hardware shop.or just make a stand.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All pretty helpful guys. Thanks!

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2012 02:07 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lens arrived today. All that talk of him not working with an ST-1200 and the requirement of a lens holder seems futile in hindsight. He went straight into the ST-1200, like he was made for her.

Does anyone have a nice little short on scope for immediate sale? For now all I can see is,

-

Jason Bognacki
Junior

- posted March 07, 2012 11:52 AM      Profile for Jason Bognacki   Email Jason Bognacki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your PM Akshay just sent you a message.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 10, 2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A match made in heaven. I wish him all the happiness [Wink]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay, I'm not sure about an ELMO 1.1, as I don't have one at the moment, but that scope lense will definitely not fit into an ELMO 1.0 lense. Just so you know [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 10, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He went straight into the ST-1200, like he was made for her.
Akhshay, how did you put inside the original lens holder...

and I saw a sort of ring outside the cope lens, what is that...

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, the scope lens just slips into the 1.3 lens frame (if it's okay to call it that). Worked okay with my Lawrence of Arabia trailer, but is a bit loose. If I ever find a scope feature, I can hold it in place with cotton. Very fortunate for me, and am grateful to Joseph Morrison.

Winbert, you mention a ring but the lens is just one piece as the picture shows. All fits in nicely.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 10, 2012 09:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you don't use the original 1.3 Elmo lens in this set up instead The light straight to the scope lens? Pls confirm

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC