8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » This Is War?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This Is War?
Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2015 09:34 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THIS IS WAR?
Castle Films
The Marx Brothers
200' reel
B/W, sound

A great excerpt from arguably the Brothers best film, DUCK SOUP. A lot is packed into about 8 minutes, focusing on the climax of the film. Plenty of great Groucho lines and general crazyness. This is one of the 3 original Castle releases of Marx films -- the others being THE INCREDIBLE JEWEL ROBBERY and THE PIGSKIN CAPER. (Castle later released 2 excerpts from MONKEY BUSINESS before becoming Universal 8, when we were treated to longer extracts.)

The print: As usual, Castle had access to superior pre-print material. Beware, however, that sometimes Castle printed things a bit dark; I have 2 copies of this one: the better one, printed nicely, I used to enhance the later 400 foot release. The one I left intact is dark, but not bad on a projector with a 150 watt lamp. BTW, the cover art on the box is off-the-charts beautiful -- one of Castle's best.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 06:12 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this is a pretty awesome digest. It's true that there is different footage in the 200 footer than in the 400. I have both on 16mm. How much splicing did you have to do in order to marry the prints?

--------------------
Paul Suchy

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 11:56 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post box art please

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How much splicing did you have to do in order to marry the prints?
It's been about 20 years, but when I watch it it jumps back and forth many times. I'd estimate between 5 and 10 splices. It's obvious that the Castle part is superior quality.

box art from eBay listing

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 01:25 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Joseph. I'll have to give the Universal 8 a watch again.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC