8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elf / Eiki long play unit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elf / Eiki long play unit
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2016 08:12 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This unit is firstly for 16mm but is it right it would also work for Super 8. The point being will it run more slowly and with less torque? How much is the user in control of this?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 14, 2016 08:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any experience of the unit Steven as I only use the Spondon, but given that the Spondon works fine with both types of films and the different torque settings required to run each of them correctly, if this unit is infinitely variable, like the Spondon is, I see no reason why not.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question, I do have this unit myself, but only used it a couple of times and 16mm only. I think there are forum members using this also with Super 8 / 8mm so maybe they can shed some light into this.
However I am on the lookout for the manual of this fine machine but have not been able to find one. You can set the torque in three different positions, but without further explanation I would be hesitant to experiment with super 8...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 14, 2016 03:06 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander
Van Eck have a manual in PDF (English) for €5.50.
http://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=49&type=Longplay Unit UK

--------------------
Maurice

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2016 03:19 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
Maybe i can help
Torque 1 : for ST/M series, RST/NT series, EX-2000 and EX-300SL
Torque 2 : For EX-4000P model
Torque 3 : is provided as an additional torque setting should the projector be stopped and restarted with a full reel
Informations from the manual
For super8 i use the long play unit (girafa) made by julio castells in Barcelona.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Eiki and I use it with Super-8 and Standard-8 in addition to the regular 16mm.
The torque and motor control are very flexible in this unit, and even with a 200-ft 8-mm test reel (which weighs nothing compared to my 6000-ft 16mm films) the long-play unit handles it gently without damage.
I use the "Torque 1" setting only for 8mm as it is plenty. Here is a picture of my setup from some time ago:

-

...there's nothing like being able to sit down and enjoy the whole film (you do keep an eye on it, but still....)

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2016 09:02 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Claus! That has answered that.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC