8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Vinegar Syndrome reels and cans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vinegar Syndrome reels and cans
Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 07:33 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had to throw a short away that was more twisted than my wife is!!! My question is, did vinegar syndrome affect the reels and cans or can I go on using them?

--------------------
Dave

|  IP: Logged

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dave, i wash them in soap and water, and let them air till the smell has gone.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 08:56 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have the same problem wit a feature and in sure if reels and cans are any good

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 21, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I would just chuck em big time.

Or you could use for some polyester films, but even so !!!

Best Mark.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2016 08:50 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Divided opinions. This vinegar business is not something I'd really come across until quite recently. Perhaps I've just been lucky!!

--------------------
Dave

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 23, 2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I`m a handle the small loss and get them out of the house person myself.

I certainly would never put acetate on them.

I`ve had some nasty vinegar before and just threw the lot films and all and was happy to shut the out door bin lid and it be gone.

Best Mark.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2016 01:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Have you been watching Lady and the Tramp?
'He no speaka the english so good' [Big Grin]

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2016 06:01 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film reels and cans are metal, then I say don't worry and reuse after cleaning. Plastic reels and cans I say pitch them, but I say that anyway... [Smile]

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2016 11:30 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid metal reels and cans that are rusted. Otherwise metal reels and cans are perfectly safe for film. Reels and cans that are made of quality plastic are safe too.

VS is a result of several factors:
Poor storage, the film is kept in hot areas with high humidity.
Storing films next to VS films, will cause the healthy films to get VS.
Film is tightly sealed in a box or reel, that does not permit the film to breathe,
The Fixing stage of the film is improperly processed.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2016 03:40 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vinegar Syndrome starts from within the film itself almost always (maybe only) due to improper developing technique of the film. This has been pin pointed down to the fixer stage of development. Cans do not cause VS, neither does a high humidity environment and I doubt a properly processed film can catch VS like a disease from a VS film. But the precautions to take once a film has VS can supposedly extend its life somewhat. I am not sure even that can be proven. I had a 16mm print that had started to show it had VS. I took all the precautions and I have a cool dry basement with regulated low humidity. I purposely surrounded the VS film with films without VS I figured I could sacrifice in the name of scientific experiment. Within two years the VS print had become completely destroyed by VS so twisted and shrunken to make projection impossible. The smell was terrible. The surrounding films showed no sign of getting VS. I continue to monitor them for VS so my experiment is ongoing. I have films that have been on metal reels inside metal cans for 80 years with no signs of VS. They also are still pliable and able to be projected. I believe there are way more films meeting a shortened life span not because they are in metal cans, but because they are not. Dried curled shrunken films full of perf damage are death to prints just as surely as VS. Just my two cents, your experiences and thoughts may be different.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2016 10:04 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too just bin any prints that smell of or get VS.
I keep the plastic spools and cans though.
I just give them a good wash and airing and re-use.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC