8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B&H 2580A Video of Issue I'm Having

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H 2580A Video of Issue I'm Having
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aE8oxVdoAFc.

What's causing the bottom loop to keep growing outward like that? Yes, the main worm gear has a little crack, but the unit still plays great other than this loop issue.

[ August 13, 2017, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 14, 2017 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

The Bell & Howell Slot Loader differs from the auto-thread model inasmuch as the sprockets are not in line. There is an extra gear called the Lower Sprocket Drive Gear.

If, as you say, the main worm gear has a little crack in it there may be a problem for it to drive the smaller gear. Thus, the sprocket is not turning as it should which results in the claw feeding the film out into a large loop.

Once a main worm develops a crack it will get bigger and bigger. The only answer is to now nip it in the bud and have it replaced. At the same time the engineer can examine the other gear which I referred to.

--------------------
Maurice

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2017 01:40 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the part you need
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Bell-Howell-lower-sprocket-gear-assembly-16mm-slot-load-projectors-015533-/351632398587

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. Just wondering if it truly is worth the expense to fix both the main worm gear AND the lower sprocket gear. This kind of overhaul will probably cost as much as simply buying a refurbished projector. Six of one - half dozen of the other. There are resources like Richard Patchett to whom this kind of work is a stroll in the park, but it's got to be very labor-intensive. His website clearly indicates that gear replacements are no easy task.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 28, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get a completely reliable non scratching machine at the end of the expenditure which you can enjoy for many many years to come, then to me, it's a worthwhile exercise.

Just because another machine is cheap, doesn't make it any the better than one with an original damaged worm gear.

You may as well spend the money and finish up with one decent expensive reliable machine rather than own two or three cheap shoddy performing ones with or prone to faults and that are completely unreliable.

That's my own personal take on these things anyhow, despite seeing countless examples of the exact opposite philosophy here and elsewhere.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Once again Brad
I Have theses on my web site (NEW)
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 29, 2017 02:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Andrew.
Have the projector overhauled with new worm, small gear, and anything else that is needed. You will then have a superb projector for many years to come.
My 1680G (Bell & Howell Slot Loader) had this problem with threading and the small gear was found to be at fault.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC