8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Bullitt " A Classic car chase "

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bullitt " A Classic car chase "
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 04, 2006 07:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best car chases ever put on film , [Smile] well after watching it lately my wife yvonne pointed out something that completely spoiled it, [Frown] when she said did I notice that during the chase they passed the same green volkswagon a number of times so now when I watch the film I am watching for that green volkswagon. I have done a count but wont say at this point so if anyone out there wants to check it out and reply and see if we come to the same conclusion could be interesting ? [Roll Eyes]
Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 06, 2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say if you look at the epic car chase in the Seven-Ups, one of the cars loses five hubcaps during the chase.

I actually have a 400 footer which is basically just the chase. I'll have to check it out!

Having lived with the local roads for years we New Yorkers always get a chuckle out of the chasing cars tangling with buses and trucks on the Taconic Parkway. Our Parkways are cars only and always have been!

The scene where someone opens a car door in the path of the big Pontiac and it's ripped off the car was said to be unscripted. It happened accidentally and they decided to keep it in the movie.

I guess it's hard to put mayhem up on the screen and completely avoid it behind the scenes too!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 21, 2011 07:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....Four times.... [Big Grin]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 21, 2011 07:29 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham is right...4 times. And I think it is the BEST chase scene ever filmed without using any CGI. In those days everything was done for real. Including passing the same VW 4 times. [Confused] I remember seeing a behind the scenes of the filming of that famous scene. It was incredible. [Eek!]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 22, 2011 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FRENCH CONNECTION still has a lollapalooza of a chase too

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2011 12:45 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some scenes that are under cranked so the action moves faster. I'll watch it again for the VW. I saw it at the theater when WB matched it with Bonnie & Clyde. What a great double-bill.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2011 01:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty ...

Now there is one possessed cop ...

I have that full feature, "The French Connection" and your right, a truly great car chase. It's a wonder that no one was hurt during it.

Fortunately, my copy of the feature as held up well and it's one of those neat features that goes from full frame to letterbox on and off throughout the film.

Funny thing, I bought it because it stars Roy Scheider, as far as I'm concerned, but Gene Hackman is of course darn good. I believe it really made him a star, as he had been in films for about ten years as of that time. The first time I saw him was in "Hawaii"

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahhhhh...I love a good car chase. [Smile] Let's not forget, besides the green VW, they passed the same white LeMans a few times too in the chase.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 23, 2011 04:52 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it parked behind the green VW [Confused] [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 23, 2011 07:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drat [Smile] I will never be able to watch the car chase again.. that green VW was bad enough but not another one. [Roll Eyes] My wife totally spoiled it the first time round by pointing it out, and every time since I keep watching for that VW....oh! there it is again. Its like you have been reading a good book when someone spoils it by telling you the end before you have finished it. [Frown] [Wink]

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, there are a LOT of bloopers in the chase sequence. That is what makes it so enjoyable for us. [Cool]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here in Britain. Have watched these productions of old where they film and you know the locations do not match the area. Bullit is a classic film and a film of it's time. I really like the chase but never, noticed all the above statments.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2011 09:28 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actor you see driving the Dodge Charger in the chase in Bullet is the actual stunt driver driving the car. He did the stunt driving for The Seven Ups and others. Pretty good wheel man.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 28, 2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-You should see what my wife does with a minivan!

(..or is is that "to a minivan.")

I made a connection the other day. My son plays this serious mayhem driving game on Nintendo DS. I pulled out my "Seven-Ups" cutdown and projected it for him.

-this morning he asked to see it again!

I figure it's basically senseless violence and destructive driving: everything the game offers him.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2011 07:58 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rarely has their been a more sinister car in a chase than that 1968 Dodge Charger.......they still look mean.

Another classic chase scene featuring a Dodge Charger is the one in Dirty Mary Crazy Larry; very well captured in the Super 8 digest.

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2011 08:14 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One my favorites of car chases from the blues brothers, Mall car chase is one the of best scenes from the movie. I remember the bluesmobile crashes into the mall and cops countinue chase inside of the mall. The Bluesmobile crashed through Toys R Us did crack me up. People starting screaming and running around randomly. After the chase, the cop blames the blues brothers for breaking his watch. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 30, 2011 05:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan
The car chase through the streets in Chicago in the Blues Brothers was filmed at normal speed... they were really motoring [Eek!]

The Blues Brothers must be in the Guiness Book of records for the biggest pile up of cars ever recorded in film history...brilliant stuff. [Smile]

Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 03:12 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it again tonight [Roll Eyes] DVD on the VP....its still good [Cool]

Has anyone watched the blu-ray version? is the quality much better than the special edition DVD?

Graham. [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 04:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A handful of great car chases spring to mind with Tom Courtney
sitting his driving test at the time, in pursuit of villains, and passing it in "Otley", the chase at the beginning of "Violent City" with Charles Bronson, Giuliano Gemma, helping wreck Hamburg while avoiding the Mafia in "A Man To Respect", and Jean Paul Belmondo being
hunted by Omar Shariff in "The Burglars". The reason these car
chases are standout to me is that there were no computers
involved, just the skills of the stunt drivers.
A point to look out for in "Bullit" is where he goes up the gears
16 times!

[ February 16, 2013, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a doubt "Bullitt" put the 1968 Ford Mustang on the map as one of the most sought after cars around to this day.

I was lucky enough as a apprentice mechanic to work on the Mustang as many american navy servicemen used them at the Holy Loch submarine base way back in the 1960s.

I always wanted to own a Mustang but never did [Frown] One of the things with Bullitt unlike other car chases, was that it was done in the streets of San Francisco. The shots taken at speed from the inside car perspective were amazing, you really feel as a passenger you are flying downhill.

I still go...WOW..a 60s Mustang when I see one at a car show.
 -
thats what I call a... [Cool] ...car [Smile]

Graham

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC