8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 22)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 13, 2018 04:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's better with pictures but sadly I haven't. A projector appears twice in the film : "The Blackkklansman".

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 13, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's better with pictures but sadly I haven't. A projector appears twice in the film : "The Blackkklansman".

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 17, 2018 12:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of the original Star Trek series. Don't know how I missed the projector (Movieola) in this first season episode before now [Smile] .

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 17, 2018 02:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too sure if this ones already been on here but here is the Elmo used in the excellent John Carpenter sci fi film, Starman.
Not the best of pictures but the only one i could find,
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 17, 2018 08:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tom...already posted. Bill Brandenstein has put together a Master List of movies and TV shows already mentioned. Great job Bill!!!

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001619

[ December 18, 2018, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2018 08:20 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice...what is the title of the Star Trek episode? I am a fan too but I don't remember seeing that either.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 17, 2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this one:

Kirk and Co. has a little unintended time travel and winds up in the skies of 1960s Earth. They have an encounter with a US Air Force fighter and wind up beaming the pilot aboard after they destroy his plane. They also beam into an Air Force film lab to eliminate photographic evidence of the Enterprise's presence. Eventually they realize keeping the pilot will disrupt history and have to figure our a way to let him go. (More time travel!)

Title: "Tomorrow Is Yesterday"

Spock says "Poor photography..." (Everyone's a critic!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2018 06:28 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. In keeping with the thread about VHS tapes I have the original series complete on VHS so I'm going to pull this one out and watch it. I do have one original Star Trek episode on 16mm but I can't remember the name of it. I may watch that one too [Smile]

Edit- Dagger of the Mind is the 16mm episode I have.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2018 07:15 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to post this earlier but can no longer find a 'free' clip, but....
in the animated 'Tales from the far side' from Gary Larson, there is a segment where a dog watches a home movie of his dog wife who, he is filming her showing off playing around a bear trap, which ends with her getting her tail caught in the trap and captured by the hunter'...you have to understand 'far side' humour.
Anyways, it is a fantastic super 8 clip that lasts almost 2 or 3 minutes...I'll try to post it if i find the clip...

Here is a screengrab:
screengrab of far side super 8 machine

Also,

There is another scene where the 'bugs' are watching an in-flight movie...super 8...of a popular horror film. Can you guess the film? watch from 1:24 - 2:35 hilarious!!
more super 8- in flight movie

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2018 02:56 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’d rather watch the vhs versions as suppose to the computer generated crap nowadays.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 11, 2019 11:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is from a 1992 Simpsons episode titled "Bart the Lover". The class is watching a black and white educational film titled "A World Without Zinc". (-A real Eye Opener!)

(I can't tell what kind of projector it is... [Wink] )

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 09:08 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this episode of Hazel a 16mm projector is shown-  -

--------------------
jim schrader

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 11:31 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that the film 1966 film Modesty Blaise has
a 16mm Bell and Howell 644 projector (or something like it)
in it .

The actress Monica Vitti turns it off. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 24, 2019 01:03 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Cinema of our time' produced by yours truly full of 35mm projectors and one 70mm showing Batman filmed 30 years ago. Proud that Derann distributed my efforts as well as good old Perrys.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 24, 2019 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

How is it possible that this thread has gotten this far without a mention of Lee's Cinema in Miniature?

-it is downright "projectorful"!

Many films have their moment on screen at CineSea, and we appreciate them all, but this is the only one I remember ever drawing applause.

(I guess it found its perfect audience...)

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 24, 2019 02:41 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you it means a great deal to know. 8mm is such a passion I just love it so much.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2019 05:11 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently in the UK there is a fascinating programme showing on TV called "Back In Time For School" in which a group of youngsters experience school life in various decades. In episode 3, the 1950's, a 16mm projector is introduced as an aid to teaching.
Unfortunately, I didn't get the make or get screen shots.

What I cannot understand is the way the film was loaded onto the machine. The full spool was loaded on the back and the take up spool on the front. I am trying to work out how the film would run through the mechanism as it would somehow need to loop back after the film gate to the take up spool without cutting in front of the projected picture. Can anybody enlighten me, please?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2019 01:19 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an episode of bewitched from 1967 Darin is using a Bolex with sound attachments boy what they went through just to get sound.
 -
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 06, 2019 01:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's Great Jim...a good find! All that gear just to have sound movies. It's hard to imagine that people actually had the patience to setup something like that...then again Samantha was a witch...she probably just wiggled her nose [Smile] [Wink]

I also saw a Bolex 18-5 in last weeks Fox's not-so-Live presentation of the musical Rent. If you are familiar with Rent you'll know the character Mark is taking 8mm film through out the play. Towards the end when he is playing the developed film back you see his little Bolex sitting on the table.

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2019 01:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have to give credit where credit is due!

-If they'd just wheeled in a silent machine most people would never have known the difference!

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2019 02:05 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, it may have been an early Kalart Victor projector. They had the take up reel in the front. Not uncommon for them to be used in schools. The were very kind to film.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2019 02:31 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, it may have been an early Kalart Victor projector. They had the take up reel in the front. Not uncommon for them to be used in schools. The were very kind to film
EDIT: I have no idea how this double post happened. Admin, delete if possible.

[ February 10, 2019, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2019 08:57 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's Major Nelson and Jeannie watching movies in her bottle from I dream of Jeannie 1970
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2019 01:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been watching my Blu-ray set of Department S and found this (I think silent 16mm) in "The Pied Piper of Hambledon".
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 04, 2019 02:58 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched a 2015 movie called The Age of Adaline . Where a women born in 1908 never ages past her 20's due to a mysterious near death accident. Cast Blake Lively (as Adaline), Michiel Huisman, Harrison Ford, Ellen Bursteyn, and Kathy Baker.

Adaline as time goes by likes to watch films from her past.

-

[ September 04, 2019, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC