8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Erwin Geeraerts
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2010 05:04 AM      Profile for Erwin Geeraerts   Author's Homepage   Email Erwin Geeraerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an episode of the series Hercule Poirot. There is a screening of a movie with a 28mm Pathé Kok projector.

--------------------
CINEGRAPHICA

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2010 12:12 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the beautiful Wim Wenders film "Paris, Texas", the family memories are shown on a Super-8 machine (brand unknown.)
Dean Stockwell sits next to the backside of it, and when the film runs out, he does some sort of pantomime as if turning a knob on the back (!) of the projector....Hollywood..

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opening scene of 'EVITA'.... a cinema in Buenos Aires. A shot of the booth and the 1930/1940's system being shut down to make that announcement.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Memories of Me" with Billy Crystal. He is looking at some old home movies on super 8.

I have an airline optical sound print of this film.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remembered another one....a key scene in that wonderful Hammer film, The Quatermass Experiment (Creeping Unknown in the U.S.) Quatermass and others watch a film of what happened to the ill fated crew of the Q-1, the first space ship Quatermass sends into space. You get to see part of the film lab where the film is processed...only about a hundred foot reel of 16mm. Don't know what projector it was.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 04, 2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent work, lads!

Another one is the William Castle film "The Tingler" which has a great scene in a movie theater.

Here's what we have so far:

8mm
Absence of Malice
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Bachelor Party
Blast from the Past
Blow Out
Capricorn One
China Syndrome, The
Chinese Ring, The (Charlie Chan)
Cider House Rules, The
Cinema Paradiso
Columbo (TV Episode) "Forgotten Lady "
Criminal Minds (TV Episode)
CSI (TV Episode)
Death Ship
Desperately Seeking Susan
Dodgeball
Dressed to Kill
Enter the Dragon
Evita
Freaks and Geeks (TV Episode)
Get Carter (1971)
Goodbye, Dragon Inn
Gremlins
Hercule Poirot (TV Episode)
Hooper
How I Met Your Mother (TV Episode)
Italian Job, The
JFK
LA Confidential
Lost (TV Episode)
Lost Highway
Manhunter
MASH (TV Episode)
Memories of Me
Monty Python's Flying Circus (TV Episode)
Mr. Bill (TV Segments)
Omega Man, The
Paris, Texas
Peeping Tom
Performance
Quatermass Experiment, The (Creeping Unknown)
Rebecca
Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine, the (Twilight Zone TV Episode)
Slumdog Millionaire
Smallest Show on Earth, The
Starman
Sunset Boulevard
Tingler, The
Up on the Roof
Waterboy, The
World's Fastest Indian, The

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2010 09:40 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a silent 16mm projector in use in THE ADDAMS FAMILY movie with Gomez and Uncle Fester are watching some old childhood films.
There is a black Eiki in the background in the theatre scene in the new version of THE LONGEST YARD.

a Bell and Howell 606 makes an appearence in the mini-series HAVEN, in the White House the president is viewing some war footage with the projector sitting on his desk.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2010 09:01 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a projector in one of the recent Swedish Wallander films. It's a Eumig, not shure witch model. Wallander is sitting at a desk running the projector at the wall some 2 meters away, and the picture fills the wall from flor to ceiling. Ah, the wonders of makebelief in movies.

In a episode of the Austrian tv series "Kommissar Rex" one of the caracters are watching a film on a GS1200. It's almost ten years since I saw this, but I remember he watched the film frame by frame, so I guess it must be a Elmo, unless there is another projector with this capacity.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2010 04:29 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing a 16mm projector in St Ives

--------------------
D Aveline

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2010 06:06 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered that in one of the Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn films, I don't recall the title right now, they are looking at some home movies on 16MM.

And in 1993-94 they made six movies here in Sweden based on the novels by Maj Sjöwall/Per Wahlöö about the policeman Martin Beck. In the first of these, Roseanna, they are watching footage of a murder victim on a Elmo (atleast I think it was an Elmo, it's around 12-13 years since I saw these films). And in the following five films you can se the projector sitting on top of a bookshelf in Martin Becks office.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2010 06:15 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A forgotten movie from the 80's, "The Boy Who Could Fly". The family watches home movies on an ELMO, if I remember correctly. In fact, thats the ONLY thing I remember about that whole movie!

A more recent movie is "Butterfly Effect". In the last scene, Ashton K. uses a projector and home movies to "transport" him back in time.

James.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 14, 2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just caught a bit of "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice". There's a B&H 16mm projector in the living room, with a film threaded up.

Doug

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2010 07:59 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking some football training films were being shown in "Heaven Can Wait", 1978-Paramount, Warren Beatty. I'm recalling them being 16.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2010 08:31 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost forgot this one.....in the great 1936 or so William Powell/Jean Arthur mystery, The EX MRS. BRADFORD, Powell has cameras placed at various points of a race track...and later in his apartment , he screens the edited film ...35mm...from a booth ..with a screen that comes down on the opposite wall... The film helps him tag the killer. His movie set up is really nice.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2010 11:55 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the movie "College Confidential" (Universal, 1960) Steve Allen (as a college professor) uses a 16mm Bolex S221 optical/magnetic projector to show a film. This projector was made in 1960 and was a new model then. The film was made the same year Bolex introduced this model. I used one of these units for about three years for a film society. The projector was built like a tank. Best of it's kind.

Also in the 1972 ABC "made for television" movie "That Certain Summer" Hal Holbrook uses a Kodak Super 8mm Instamatic movie projector to watch childhood movies of his son who was actor Scott Jacoby in the film.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did anyone mention the end of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, where they're watching the film?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 22, 2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "Love and Bullets" (available as a Walton digest), Charles Bronson gets to hang out with a 16mm friend.

-

Doug

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 16, 2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Terry-Thomas can be found operating a hand cranked projector to screen a risque 16mm film.

-

-

That film got Terry's blood flowing only for the good doctor to come along and drain every last drop!

Doug

--------------------

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2010 06:52 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the sequel to Godzilla, Gigantis The Fire Monster(or Gojira no Gyakushu-Godzilla's Counterattack [Wink] ) we see Dr. Yamane from the first film screen a 16mm film of Godzilla's rampage on Tokyo to the officials gathered in Osaka awaiting its impending arrival in their fair city.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2010 08:54 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Full Moon in Blue Water" Little film directed by Peter Masterson starring Gene Hackman and Terri Garr. Main character in the story is depressed with the recent passing of his wife; he spends his time watching home movies of his late wife on Super 8.

This film was made in my home county of Galveston Texas.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an "X-Files" episode called "Sunshine Days" where in one scene a psychiatrist is showing detectives old Super 8 Sound home movies on an Elmo.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Clash by Night" 1952 has scenes in the projection box where Robert Ryan works.
"Ruby" 1977 is set in a drive in theatre.
"The Blob" has scenes in a projection box.as
does"Terror" 1978.
"Dillinger is dead" has several scenes of the hero watching 16mm home movies.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2010 11:06 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a B&H 16 machine in Quiz Show.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2010 12:50 AM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one to add I've not seen this film in a long time,omen3 where the family are sat watching a film on their big screen and they even have their own projection room too.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2010 06:03 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
""On the Beat"
Norman Wisdom classic has a long sequence in a preview theatre where the hero has to watch 16mm movies on a "Peeping Tom" style B&H projectore.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC