8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Help With Windows 98 PC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help With Windows 98 PC
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a Dell with Windows 98 on it. How can I transfer some of the pictures and things from the old pc to the new pc? The external flash drives and hard drives in stores today won't work with such an old operating system.

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 12:20 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

Take a look at this link:

How to transfer files from an old PC to a new PC.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you email them to yourself? that is what i did if you can still get on the internet. doesnt it have any usb ports?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be able to use a flash drive if you re-format it to FAT32 as older windows systems only mostly used this format. Most modern flash drives and external hard drives are usually formatted to NTSF.Give it a go, you never know. [Wink]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 11:23 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the hard drive controller and connectors in the new computer, you might be able to just move the old drive to the new computer long enough to migrate the files. If you don't mind doing that sort of surgery!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2011 03:49 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this is how we’re going to lose our digital family memories. More reason to stay with film. At least if you ignore it for a decade or two it's still there for future generations. I hope you didn't lose anything too important Brad. I finally just started backing everything up with an online service but I still feel it's vulnerable.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2011 06:58 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it's a PC with Windows 98, the hard-drives are either IDE or SATA. For a few coins you can get an "IDE/SATA to USB"-adapter like this one to connect your old drives to the new PC's USB-port.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, the only reason that digital memories will be lost to future generations is because they haven't been backed up, or better, archived to a long-term storage solution (e.g, archival quality DVD-ROMs at least two copies apiece).

But we all know this is not how most people do it... impermanence is now a prized cultural value, methinks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC