8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I am now Film Goddess (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I am now Film Goddess
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 05, 2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that my forum ranking has been changed from "Film God" to "Film Goddess." Thanks Doug! I'm sure that wasn't an easy task, but much appreciated. It's a badge of honor [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Doug, what is the female form for Jedi?

Jedie?

--------------------
Winbert

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2017 03:34 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really understood the point of these "badges of honour" here, but congrats anyhow Janice.

I'm pleased you're happy with your "title".

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get in the spirit of things, Andrew!

-given a little time, I bet the rest of us could come up with a dandy "badge of honour" for you!

Congratulations, Janice! You've been a great contributor to this Forum. You've been a friendly face to new people here and a tremendous help when members have problems.

Personally, I've seen any number of times when I knew Janice understood some question a lot better than I did and I've PMed her for help.

-she's never failed us!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 04:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A special title for a special person.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Janice is without doubt, a tremendous asset to this forum and a fantastic resource to many.
On that point, I completely agree with you there Steve!

Maybe my mantle should simply say "old cynic" [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2017 04:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-old "something" for sure!

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2017 04:59 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Janice, I think your an inspiration to others on here,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Janice [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 05, 2017 05:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

Glad to do it! Now we have to get you to attend CineSea.....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 07:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice - It's a great credit to you, and to the Forum in view of the impressive attention to detail, so compliments to Doug too!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 08:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come, with over 5,000 posts, Steve only rates as a 'Film Guy"?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2017 08:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Film Guy" was a special favor Doug did for me because I had First Commandment issues with the...alternative!

Besides: speaking as the guy who burned his hand with hot soup at the Super-Bowl party. I'm wayyyyy fallible to be walking around with any such title!

What was funny about it, is after quite a bit of effort to make the change, Doug asked "OK, now try it out.", and rarely for me here, I couldn't think of a thing to say!

-had to do a film review just to get another post out of it!

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An undisputed accolade!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 06, 2017 07:28 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Janice, i'd love to go cine-sea, it looks great, unfortunately i struggled to attend a few Ealings. I wish i could turn back time, i would have concentrated on my cine hobby instead of having interests in so many other scilly things.

We are going to Florida in October if that counts [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 06, 2017 07:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder the films are too expensive Tom! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOPVCK745I

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2017 08:03 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Janice! You are certainly a big help here!

I have to admit that this thread had me extremely fearful. Like Steve, I also have been very hesitant to post too much out of fear of actually moving into said status since day one on the forum. I know that this may seem odd to some here, but some of us are extremely reverent in this regard. I never want to be referred to as a god of any sort even in gest, and to hear that the admins are open to changing this title, i must admit it has calmed my nerves a bit today.
At any rate, I hold no grudge with anyone who likes the status, but personally, a persons good character demonstrated over time to become a good reputation is what I am most interested in!
A Master Film Handler is so flattering as a title already to me as I know i will never elevate to that status either...so something to aim for!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2017 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I felt kind of reluctant to comment on it myself: I don't want to seem judgmental here. It's just something that bothered me personally.

-So Matt, when the time comes contact Doug, he knows what to do and he'll take care of it. The nice thing is it's the most exalted status here, so it only needs to be humbled once and it's permanent.

What's sad is there is an old, inactive film forum that I joined something like 1999 or 2000 where nobody has posted in years and it's locked. If you find me there the board-wide "badge of honour" is something like "liar and thief"! (It's wrong, but it's perversely fair! Everybody gets called that!)

-Doesn't make a lot of difference since we didn't use real names anyway.

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2017 08:18 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was tickled pink when I read I was a 'Master Film Handler'. I think 'film nut' might be nearer the truth. I've told my wife not to put flowers on my coffin. A reel of film (one I feel I wasted my money on) would be far more relevant. Well done Janice. I must admit I've often wondered what you were like when I've read your answers to questions I didn't even understand. I always thought Godesses had to be worshipped. Can I just admire you from a distance?

--------------------
Dave

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2017 09:30 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other nice title could be 'Projector Queen', since you have been so instrumental in fixing many issues in relation to them. Or 'Film Projection Queen'.
And after reading Maurice's thread on the lovely British Monarch reaching 65 years of reign, this would be an honourable title indeed [Smile]

[ February 06, 2017, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 06, 2017 11:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice ....

you have always been our "Film Goddess" on here! We love a lady that can not only "talk shop" about super 8, but better on on info as well!

Congratulations!!!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 07, 2017 10:57 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As one of the realm, here on Mount Film-Olympus, I bid you a happy sovereignty - Shorty

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget that Janice is our resident Bond Girl as well!
Janice wears a Gold Plated 50' Super 8mm Reel on a Gold Chain as a Necklace when she decides to wear jewelry!
[Smile]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2017 06:07 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also glad Janice has been awarded such a very appropriate honorary title!

Janice has helped quite a few of us with free pdf projector manuals, and has inspired me to follow her lead and make a cost-effective "Glesser" zoom lens using one from an old B&H and a 3-D printed adapter--works great and was dirt cheap!

She is also truly fearless in venturing into the unknowns of projector repair and that is a great example for the rest of us who might be hesitant to dive in. And finally, she is positive, helpful and patient in her communications on this forum with newer members. You are most appreciated Janice!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC