8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Unique 9-5 Splicing - needlework

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unique 9-5 Splicing - needlework
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 10, 2014 02:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a sound 9-5 film in with some unique splicing work. As you can see someone has done some delicate needle work to effect a join and it was almost a sin to remake several of these rather special joins correctly. I have retained one sample for posterity.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 10, 2014 04:41 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came several times across 9,5 films "spliced" with strings !It seems that ninefivers are inventive...

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2014 08:36 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes Lee, I have come acroos this as well in the past together with joins made with various glues, sticky tape i.e. sellotape, parcel tape etc. The very worst was using staples. The latter would have wrecked the projector had I not followed my routine of checking the reel before running it. I should add that although less frequently, this has been found on other film sizes not just 9.5mm. Ken Finch. [Roll Eyes]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 11, 2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These DIY methods are rather comical...but not everyone has a nice 9.5 tape splicer like Lee's [Smile] People want to keep their films in tact and use just about anything they have around the house to do it [Smile]

I haven't had to spice any of my little 9.5 film reels yet. I'm not sure what I'll do when the need arises. I have one of those tiny 9.5 splicers mounted on a wooden block...but don't have a clue to how to use it [Confused]

-

[ May 11, 2014, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 11, 2014 10:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Janice. I have also a wodden splicer that I never used (I have other ones), so I don't know how they did but I think if one day you have to make a splice with it, the easiest way would be to use something like sand paper where you will put the cine glue on. But of course, I would advise you to look for an easier to use 9,5 splicer. Especially as you seem to be enjoying the gauge and you may want more films in the future :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2014 12:19 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice the thing in your picture was really designed for placing these horrible little circular repair patches on the films when the perf holes had been damaged. It was not designed as a proper splicer....The easiest alternative I found in my early days of 9.5 was using a 16mm guillotine to lay the film across and tape and then taking am exacto blade to cutout the perf hole...I got pretty good over time cutting the hole, but finally broke down and bought a CIR splicer...I have since actually collected a number of homemade 9.5 splicers that are pretty inventive...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 12, 2014 01:53 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, when you put your message first, there was no picture. I though you talked about the same (common) model I have but it is different.

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2014 08:20 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I guess 9.5mm splicers are quite rare in the U.S.A. The C.I.R. tape splicer is quite rare here and also very expensive, hence many people have made their own. However cement splicers are very common here as quite a few companies made "universal" models which joined 9.5mm, 8mm and 16mm film. They often turn up on dealers stalls at collectors fairs and on E bay. Ken Finch.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 16, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Ken...I haven't seen any 9.5 splicers. I guess I'll just get creative like the others when the need arises [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC