8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO F-80 REVIEW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO F-80 REVIEW
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2007 11:13 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Impressions

I recently took delivery of an Elmo F-80 Standard 8 silent projector from New Mexico. It's the only one I've ever seen advertised, though I knew it existed from Jurgen Lossau's projector book. There isn't even a picture of it in the book, so all I had to go on was the seller's photos.

Basically it is a later, upgraded, De-Luxe version of the E-80 model. Firstly it is bigger, heavier and chunkier than the E-80. The lamphouse cover is the full width of the machine and contains the lamphouse itself, clutch mechanism, framer actuator and shutter wheel. It has the Elmo zoom lens too, 0.8-1.25. (There is no f number to be seen). The clutch is operated by a mechanical switch rather than a progressive lever, so the clutch is either in or out. There is a switchable pilot lamp on the base of the projector under the threading area, which is handy. The only other major differences are that there is a 2-position switch for the motor and lamp, rather than the two separate switches as on the E-80, and a fast rewind knob which engages a higher ratio gear. It still has the reversing switch, variable speed rheostat, and the room light dimmer facility which is still rated at 100 watts max.

As it was from the USA, it was already set up for 115 volts and had a 750 watt lamp in it too, which looked little used - no blackening of the glass.

(Remember, I run all my projectors on 115-volts wherever possible).

Obviously at this stage, I can't say whether or not I prefer it to the E-80. I'll have to use it quite a bit before I commit myself, as I'm so used to the E-80 and love it. Still, it's what you get used to and feel comfortable with. I'm also still getting used to the Ampro Futurist 8 which is my other silent standard 8mm machine of course.

The F-80 is almost a cross between the E-80 and the Futurist in terms of operating facilities - some plusses and some minuses.

Naturally I shall give it a thorough clean, service, lube etc. etc. and then we'll see.

Update on the F-80

Having had a chance over the last few days to give her a thorough going over, she was now ready to roll!

The only 'downside' was that the rectangular socket panel for the mains input plug and the room light plug, was made of grey plastic which had broken off at the 4 corners where the 4 screw holes were for attaching it to the main body of the projector. Also the mains input connector and the outlet socket themselves were both cracked too.

(I must say that I prefer the E-80 arrangement, where the plug and socket are mounted directly to the metal body of the projector, and not on a separate plastic strip. Still, that’s progress I suppose – but not in my book on this occasion).

The only alteration I have made, therefore, which I think has been for the better anyway, was to fabricate a new panel out of 1/8" black polished fibreglass sheet, and fit a new IEC 3-pin mains input connector, (which means that the projector is now earthed, which it wasn't before), and a new 2-pin American socket outlet for the 115v room/table/Anglepoise lamp.

Having done this, plus giving it a full service, thorough clean and lube, I ran my prized Standard 8 Blackhawk print of "The General" with Buster Keaton and Marion Mack - 3 x really full 400ft reels, lasting 90mins. (As with pretty much all standard 8 machines, 400ft is the largest reel that can be accommodated on this projector. The arms are slightly curved, so it would be difficult to make them longer. The arms on the E-80 are straight, although slightly tapered, so it would be easy to cut and extend these to pretty well as long as you like, though the drive springs would have to be changed, of course. Anyway, I digress)! Absolute perfection! I was particularly impressed with the fast rewind facility - a knob which engages a higher gear ratio in reverse for this very purpose.

As with the E-80, she ran exceedingly quietly in both forward and reverse modes. Freeze frame also worked flawlessly. The pilot lamp was useful, but not something I would necessarily insist upon in a projector, though it was a nice touch.

The Elmo zoom lens was another a nice touch, though with my particular set-up, having previously arranged the correct distance from the screen for the E-80 and the Ampro Futurist 8, (which is the same for both; both having prime lenses), I didn't actually need to rely on a zoom lens. However, it is clearly a very useful facility.

The pressure plate assembly is held in place by quite a strong spring clip, and swings out in the usual way for removal and cleaning. In order to remove the pressure plate, once swung open, it is necessary to lift it before withdrawal. This is a more positive locating mechanism than on the E-80 where a simple straight withdrawal is the only action required after swinging open. When replacing the pressure plate, it is slid back and then pressed downwards when it clips into position with a positive ‘snap’.

The optics are a definite improvement too, particularly with regard to the reflector, which is mounted on a fully adjustable yoke for achieving maximum screen brightness. The condenser lens is slightly larger in diameter than in the E-80, but is quite a bit thicker also. I would have thought that this would have the effect of reducing light transmission, but this is not the case - obviously a better quality lens. However it is NOT large enough to accommodate the spread filaments of a 750-watt lamp at 230v. The handbook states that 500-watts is the brightest lamp suitable at 230v; 750-watts at 115v. Exactly the same as for the E-80!

As with the E-80, there is a voltage adjustment under the baseplate, but the lamp has to be changed when switching from the 100-120v range to the 200-240v range, again, the same as the E-80.

I think I have to say, all-in-all that the F-80 is better than the E-80, but not vastly. It is really an improvement - an upgrade - a later model - a more De-Luxe version.

Yes. I like it - a lot. But I wouldn't cry if I had to do without it - as long as I still had the E-80!

Here are a few pictures

-

-

-

-

Next up – the Ampro Futurist 8 – Standard 8 silent machine – watch this space!

Hope you enjoyed.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 05, 2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes thanks David very nice and interesting item. Makes me wish I has kept my E80 I had 3 odd years ago.
Best wishes Mark.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2007 10:18 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Perhaps you should keep an eye open for one again. They do come up on eBay quite often, which was where I saw mine. I only had to pop over to Hampshire to pick it up from the seller, and paid the princely sum of £10. The F-80 was a bit more expensive at $24 (£12)!! plus shipping. Still worth it I reckon.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed reading the review. It was fun to do. I've already started preparing for the next review which, as I say, will be on the Ampro Futurist 8. Strangely enough, although quite a few of them were made, it is very rare to find one in excellent to mint condition. I was very fortunate with mine, as you will see in the fullness of time.

Best for now,

Kev Faulkner was also impressed with the E-80 from the first article I posted, and has since bought one.

--------------------
Dave.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 09, 2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review David. Its just like reading Movie Maker all over again.

Yes I have the E80 and I have to say it a beautifully manufactured machine. It's quiet and the lamp output isnt too bad even with the 240V 500W lamp.
Very kind on film too.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2007 04:38 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, exactly.

There's a lot of enthusiasm these days about getting the absolute maximum amount of lumens onto the screen, using all the different kinds of low voltage halogen and xenon lamps which are now available - but I sometimes think people forget just how good the old tungsten filament lamps really were - and still are.

If, as you say, the illumination isn't at all bad with the 500-watt lamp in your E-80, just imagine what mine is like with the 750-watt lamp! Obviously not a 50% increase, due to the extra heat, but definitely a 30-40% increase!!! [Eek!]

My 16mm Ampro projectors all have 1,000-watt lamps fitted, and the brilliance is absolutely phenominal. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2007 05:42 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What year was this projector available?

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2007 05:59 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,

The F-80 was 1959. The E-80 for both 8mm & 16mm was 1958, and the E-80 8mm only was 1951.

--------------------
Dave.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2007 12:11 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that. This projector is the one that caused me to be bitten by the cine bug and also developed my passion for Atlas lamps...as the machine I was using had was fitted with the Atlas A1/7. So, it has to be my favourite machine.

Have you ever used/tried the room light socket? Also, have you the service manual for this, if one exists?

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2007 03:30 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,

Cast your mind back to March 21st when I posted a thread on the E-80. On March 24th, you asked about servicing this machine, and I gave quite a lengthy description. I am not aware of a service manual for it, but if you follow my suggestions, you will have her purring like a kitten.

I also remember our correspondence around that time regarding your passion for Atlas lamps.

Yes, I always use the room light socket for an Anglepoise lamp adjacent to the projector stand, whether I'm running the E-80 or the F-80. It's really useful.

Go to it, Simon, and re-vitalise that engineering work of art.

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC