8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Putting features onto larger reels question.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Putting features onto larger reels question..
Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 07:00 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. Sounds like fun to build a movie only for screening, like a real cinema. Another question: What diameter are the Beaulieu 2300' reels? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 28, 2017 07:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are around 15 inch diameter I'd say Daniel from memory.

I place them on big reels for a season as you may call it. That may last as long as 12 months sometimes depending on how often I'd like to view them.
At the end, they often go back onto 2x 1200ft spools in their library boxes or 4 x 600ft, 3x 800ft boxes etc etc.

Only films that came to me to begin with on these very large reels, stay that way, as some of the original leads and tails may no longer be present.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this thread. With the qty of S8 suppliers getting smaller are these 2300' reels still available?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 04:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not from New now Alan. They do crop up on ebay Europe though from time to time.

In particular the odd ones here in the UK but also ebay Germany,Belgium, Spain and France.

Phil Sheard at CHC may also still have a couple.
I know he did have some not so long ago anyhow.

Incidentally to Daniel, the cans do not make an air tight seal by any means. The lids are just placed onto these cans and would easily slip open and off if they were stacked edge on,which of course is a no no on reels of this size.
So I'd say the films still are very breathable just as they would be in cardboard boxes.

The plastic containers probably offer the most sealed box, though again, many drill one or two holes in these to allow some air circulation.

[ January 29, 2017, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 06:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without sounding daft, is airtight good or bad for cine film in storage? [Confused] [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 06:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad I'd say Tom. I believe film does need to breathe a little ideally.

All I've ever read suggests this anyhow. I've seen even the feature boxes themselves showing signs of mould when they've been stored in damp conditions with poor circulation.
Damp only accelerates this process or certainly constant change in temperature and humidity does.

Just like anything with stagnant air trapped inside it, it soon develops mould.
I suspect film is no different.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 10:46 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider leaving maybe four black frames on either side when making up on bigger spools. Then you can make changes later on like going back to 600ft parts and you are not losing any frames from the images. Otherwise if the join is right on the content every time a change is made the film is being eaten away a bit. You won't notice the black as even 8 frames is only a third of a second. Even two frames either side gives margin for error if you feel you don't want too much black...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats ok then, i do everything i can to ensure good air circulation both in the room and around the films. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 11:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years, ive now developed the knack of joining these without losing any frames, so for me, I just cut and replace the leaders exactly to the actual first frame.

I have received other people's films sent to me that have an odd blank frame in between joins so I know this is a popular method also.

If any film comes to me with its original leaders and tails intact, for some years now, I made a rule to myself never to cut them.
Then I just either change the reels or use two machines nowadays.

Most I have received over the years have had their leads and tails removed some time previously, so joining these poses no issue with the two frame C.I.R. splicer.

I find the "Jackro" tape is very very strong in use, but then equally, quite easily removed also without cutting, with a little due care and patience.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 02:56 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 large spool diameter sizes as follows:-
Beaulieu...38cm
Fumeo......41cm
Fumeo spools have a smaller core than the Beaulieu spools.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC