8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 200' MAD MAGICIAN on SUPER 8????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 200' MAD MAGICIAN on SUPER 8????
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2007 09:21 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw something very rare (I think) on Ebay... In a lot of 3-D films, along with the usual 400'-ers of CREATURE FROM BLACK LAGOON and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, was the old 200' silent digest of MAD MAGICIAN on SUPER 8! In all my years of collecting I have only ever seen this on regular 8. Does anyone have one of these on super 8 or is this as rare as I think it is? Just when you think you know everything something new to track down pops up! I didn't bid since the other titles boosted the auction to over $100... but now I'm on a mission to find another one!

|  IP: Logged

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 02:05 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Brian,

for many years I 've the 400 footer of the mad magican in 3D in my collection. When I changed over to longer films I sold this one to a good friend who has this film still in his collection.

I' ven never seen this on a list again.

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Edouard Dubertret
Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 02:30 AM      Profile for Edouard Dubertret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I saw the 400ft version on ebay.com one month ago bought at something like $60. I hesitated to buy it (it was my birtday [Razz] ) but didn't do it because some people say that the 3-D effect of this film isn't really good.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 03:18 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Edouard,

thats right. The film has not so spectacular effects, but the 3D effect itself was good.

Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 01, 2007 08:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

I have the Super 8mm 200 footer of "The Mad Magician" which I bought during my initial foray into collecting (early 70's). The 3-D effects are completely gone due to fade. As for the 400' version, the print is beautiful, the 3-D effect works great, but what a bad choice of scene selection.

Doug

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug - Thanks for the info... yes, that scan confirms there is indeed a super 8 release. I always thought the 200' was only out on regular 8mm. Let me know if you see another one around... even though the effects are gone, it's still something I need for the collection.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, keep an eye on ebay as I am selling off a friends 3D films and equipment under instruction and the Magician 3D 400ft version is in the pile of 3D classics. Orig box etc.
Best wishes.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen, or have a copy of the 200' S8Sound IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE? To sell or trade for - Shorty

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 02:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Doug.I well remeber Bill Davison in his review of that title
stateing the editing on the 3d 400 footer was crap to say the least.It stopped me from buying it ,back then.That's August1978.Andy.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 08:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had 2 copies of the 400' that I found exasperating due to sideways weave in places, so I wondered if there were any good copies around, but there clearly are.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Philippe Cuypers
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Philippe Cuypers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello: douglas meltzer! its about the Mad magician on super 8 sound, please give me a PM a (private message) so I could talk to you about it, I try but I cannot send you a Pm message so please email me at the Pm message or my email address at (seawave1@msn.com) thanks a lot phill!

--------------------
Philippe Cuypers

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 03, 2007 08:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philippe,

You can always just click on the letter icon to send me an e-mail. I've replied to your message.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC