8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » EALING REPORTS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EALING REPORTS
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 20, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I`m not doing one as unfortunately not there but can all of you lads who were do and give many run downs of what where, films bought, people seen, films watched etc etc etc.
The more the better.
Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2007 05:23 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great day out was had by all,many thanx to Keith Wilton,John Clancy etc,Many thanx also to Mike Peckham for giving me a lift to and from convention yet again,it was great to meet fellow collectors such as David Pannell etc,picked up loads of cheap 400ft goodies such as PHANTASM (cheers Mike),THE PASSAGE full 200ft Cannes promo in scope,MURDERERS ROW with Dean Martin as Matt Helm,which will go nicely with my 400ft of THE SILENCERS,PERCY PROGRESS & ADVENTURES OF A PLUMBERS MATE!!

And Barry many thanks for the print of TROUBLE IN STORE.

Roll on May 2008!!!

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 03:34 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes another brilliant day, Keith and the gang always put on a good display, with varied programs. The first program of the day had trailers, cartoons, a great "Look at Life" on Holiday Camps, and the last item was the Walton print of the Laurel & Hardy comedy "Busy Bodies", this is over 70 years old now, but it still had us rolling with laughter, you can't beat timing, can you! I missed the Silent film presentation with live piano music, so perhaps someone else can talk about that. We then had the new and current release show, which included Derann's excellent 2 new trailers to "Spider-Man 3" (4 1/2 minutes) and "Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest" and the show ended up in Scope with the new Derann release of "End of Days", lovely print and all action. The last show was a tribute to Elvis on 8mm and featured lovely Viacom prints, with extracts from "King Creole", "G.I. Blues" & "Paradise Hawaiian Style", just brilliant. What with picking up a bargain or two, what a great day out, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, now roll on Blackpool in a month's time, it never stops!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 04:37 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to all who made my first visit to the BFCC such an enjoyable and memorable occasion, particularly Mike Peckham who was kind enought to pick me up and share the ride with Mark Williams.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet as many members as I would have wished, though I was introduced to some; and introduced myself to others. I purchased another railroading film - The Elizabethan Express - on Standard 8 B&W sound, and at long, long last snapped up a pair of superb condition Elmo 16mm rewinds from Rob Koeling.

We didn't stay right till the bitter end, but I must say that I did enjoy all the screenings that I did watch. The silent movied presentation was excellent and, for me, at least, re-created what it must have been like to go to a 'Picture Show' in the '20s and '30s. Congratulations to those who organised it, particularly the pianist who played live on stage adjacent to the screen, on the grand piano.

I was impressed, too, with the definition achievable from Super 8 on a screen 24ft wide. Better than I would have thought possible. I was only slightly disappointed with the lack of illumination in the 'End of Days' presentation, due mainly, I would guess, to the film being shot in very low light levels. I found it difficult to capure every detail of what was going on.

The whole experience has whetted my appetite, so hope to attend more of these 'shindigs'.

Finally a big thank you to Keith, John et al who put so much into organising this event; and I felt priveliged to be photographed with the group holding up this year's banner, and to be associated with such a fine bunch of chaps and chapesses.

Best to all,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 05:11 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,i really enjoyed the day and the film shows were as always very well presented and they always manage to get some very nice and interesting titles together to be shown.Very impressed with the Spiderman 3 trailer on that big screen and the Ferdinand the Bull was a really nice cartoon to have.Have to agree with David on the End Of Days extract which although looked fantastic in scope on that sized screen had too many dark scenes in it which does spoil it.The silent film show again was a great insight to the way it used to be at the cinema and as an Elvis fan enjoyed the final show of the King singing his way through the films,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 05:17 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot add too much to the comments already given above other than to agree with all. As David said, it was great to meet other members and "put faces to names" and have a good old "chin wag" about the hobby we all love. Went to the convention with the thoughts of not spending too much, if any, money (how silly is that?)just to enjoy the occasion and the friendliness of the occasion. [Smile]
Well I certainly did the second of those two statements and boy oh boy, did I also NOT do the first!! [Eek!]
I came home with a copy of "Thunderball" - Scope feature, The Last Command - 4 x 400ft and a UFA version of "El Cid" - 4 x 400ft - redubbed into English - all courtesy of the lads at Derann.
Needless to say I was a "happy, but poor bunny".
What the heck, it's only money [Razz]
Great to meet Mike P (thanks for the discs and mags), David P, John C, Adrian W, Rob K, Barry A, Colin H and all the dealers, the Derann lads, Ian O'Reilly, Phil Sheard etc. My apologies to anyone not mentioned.
Hope to see you all again next May (or at Blackpool). Great Day without a doubt - you must try to attend Mark. It is expensive, but well worth it [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 05:45 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David and Mark,

I would imagine that the "End of Days" extract would look a lot better in a home environment, as a 24ft wide scope image is pushing even John's HTI conversion to the limit. It is a dark sequence from the film, but the collectors normal set up of between 6-8 feet would make the definition and contrast a lot better I would expect. Still it's nice to see something new in scope on 8mm, and with a certificate and some titles, it's been put together really well.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great day, I can't really add much to whats already been said other than to say that it was great to see everyone again, to see the films, to rummage through the film and equipment stalls, to chat to the guys from Derann and soak up that inimitable atmosphere that is only present where there is the constant clatter of cine projectors wherever you go.

I had a great time.

Many thanks to Keith and John and all the Crew that made it all possible once more.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 02:56 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again another great day. Managed to sell off all my films and DVD's that I brought. My wife enjoyed the morning shows very much. and stayed in the cinema while I had a nose round the dealers stands. Met up a 1pm with forum members. It was nice to see Keith A, Mel B, Mike P and meet for the fist time David P. Many Thanks to Keith Wilton John Clancy and all the team that make the day possible. Big Thanks from the wife Rose to Suzie Clancy and the crew for keeping her company in the projection area. She enjoyed the day as well.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 05:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must admit I was thinking about you all having a fun time when I was stuck behind a video camera viewfinder filming blast it over the weekend instead. Great to hear you all had a good time though and even though some of us were unable to come along for whatever reason we can still enjoy the stories folk have to tell.

Yup Barry, End of Days does have low key lighting so not a good choice for a 24ft Super 8 screen presentation perhaps. But I can confirm it looks good on a 10ft screen which is perhaps a little more suited for the amazingly tiny frame. How we get away with it I will never know.

Hats off to Keith, John and the gang for everything they do to further this fascinating hobby and also to all who were able to support the event.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 22, 2007 09:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought John And Keith were pushing it to the limit by having the projector 75 feet away from the screen! Lee is absolutely right, "End of Days" looks very impressive on screens a bit smaller than 24 ft.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 11:15 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw End Of Days film and thought it looked fantastic. Yes it was pushing it but the HTI 2-blade GS1200 managed to cope pretty well and didnt look too dark but this was the one and only time ive seen it projected. Seeing it again at 10 feet wide I might feel different.

I thought the End Of Days film was the highlight of the day even though im not keen on the film as a whole. Its a dark film but Im warming into purchasing it as its non stop action.

One advantage of 'Dark' print films is that any base scratches that unfortunately occur will not show up that much.

Graham S

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got home earlier today after a long weekend stay.
Another great day, met up with Colin, Mike Peckham, David Pannell and Eddie Trott.
No-one has mentioned the brilliant 'After The Fox' presentation about the music of 20th Century Fox with a live commentary by Ken Locke. I really enjoyed this and was worth the entrance fee on its own.
Looking forward to May.
Mal

[ October 23, 2007, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an enjoyable day, didn't spend too much and even made a small profit due to bring and buy sales. I recall when this stall used to be groaning under the weight of 8mm films being offered, whilst they are now a comparative rarity. Good to meet some Forum members I'd never spoken to before and thanks to John for the cider. I also thank the organisers for always making it possible to buy the latest issues of 'Smallformat', and for a good price!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2007 11:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 2 bladed shutter in the HTI machine??? You'll be lucky! I think we'd burn every single frame out as it went through the gate!

I was rather concerned during the 'End of Days' extract that the lamp may be on the way out but thankfully when the Elvis show came on later it was as bright as a nuclear reactor so it's just the usual dense print having come from a print rather than a negative.

Keith and I would like to pass our thanks onto everyone who came in (and paid!!!) but particularly to the chaps who made putting the screen up somewhat easier than it otherwise would be: David Pannell, Mark Williams, Mike Peckham, Robert Tucker and Tim Poole. We had some problems this time and also with putting the sound system out (the amplifier was shorting out on the rear left speaker cable for no reason whatsoever) but had it sorted prior to opening time.

These conventions are far too jam packed. How about we just have two or three shows in the future?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I just guessed that the HTI GS would also have a 2 blade shutter in it. Can the zenons be 2-blade and if they are how do they compare to the HTI conversion.

Graham S

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How about we just have two or three shows in the future?"

If you are inclined to reduce the number, you could possibly get rid of the first show and perhaps incorporate some of the content into other shows. The second show could perhaps start slightly earlier, but I'd suggest leaving a longer 'gap' at the start, giving people more time to walk round the dealers or (with regard to those making longer journeys) arrive.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have done that in the past Adrian, merged the first two shows into one. Not a bad idea to start the first show later - we have already moved it to 11:15 so it's fifteen minutes later than years ago but perhaps 11:30 would be a good idea. I'll speak to 'Unc'.

Xenon GS's with a 2 bladed shutter don't compare to HTI. If you want the brightest picture for such shows as the BFCC there's nothing that can touch HTI... currently. We estimate the BFCC Xenon machine is about 66% of the light output of the HTI. And yes, the Xenon has a two bladed shutter. There are brighter Xenon's around as they all vary slightly but none of them will hold a candle(!!!) to HTI.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 07:13 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, Thanks for that reply,

I knew the HTI was brighter than a Zenon but I didnt realise they were that much brighter. Wow and even with a 3 blade shutter.

I would love to know if the Elmo designers knew about all these GS mods collectors are doing like anti scratch rollers and brighter bulbs.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think I heard somewhere that the GS Xenon is twice as bright as a regular GS halogen, so that makes John's HTI machine over four times as bright as the regular machine! [Cool] Plus of course the light is inherently much whiter, with a higher color temperature. This is why John recommends wearing sun glasses when you attend the BFCC! [Big Grin]
No doubt about it, for people who love to tune up projectors like a fine sports car, the GS is the machine to have! [Wink]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC