8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fra Diavolo Value? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fra Diavolo Value?
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 05:20 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the value of a MINT Super Eight sound print of Laurel & Hardy In Fra Diavolo"? This is from the original MGM negatives.
Thank's!
--Tom Pennock

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 05:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be realistic Tom, it all depends on How much a person is willing to pay for it.

Original value (purchase price from original film company) really doesn't count. Take Blackhawk features. A classic Laurel and hardy of "Son's of the Desert" was well over 100.00 dollars, (someone can no doubt state the actual price on this forum).

You will rarely get that.

UNLESS!!!

There were very few prints of a specific title. For instance, I just bought a print of "Close Encounters" scope. I paid 400.00 dollars for it, and that's a lot of money for me. I could actually make even more on it conceivably, depending on who wants it. (I'm not selling, so don't ask, BUT Kevin Faulkner IS!! Let the feeding frenzy begin for the Faulkner print! Unless he already has a buyer.)

Close Encounters was a very low number of prints, (between potentially 15 to 30, but I don't know for sure), and that stands as long as all those prints still exist.

Your print of that particular feature isn't all that common of a print. There are other factors. Which film company released thew print? Blackhawk prints tend to be of better quality than other film compnaies prints. If Blackhawk and, lets say, Walton films both released feature prints of this, which film companies prints are better?

but the biggest factor really is DEMAND!!!

A good example of that are the Derann Disney features. Some still can get a lot of money. I've seen Pinnochio go for close to what it originally sold for. On the other hand, i bought an early Derann print of Snow White, (completel with the two bonus trailers with it), for only 150.00.). From what I've seen, quite a few Derann Disney's really don't get as much as other prints. This is no reflection upon Derann, of course, as these Disney prints are just about as good as Super 8mm can come!

Having said all that, I would say around 100.00, as I don't hear that one come up all that often. Perhaps more ...

depending on demand!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi:

This title was a very limited edition by Red Fox Films. It was co-released with "Bonnie Scotland". From the original negatives. It's RARE and it is 16mm quality. I have been offered this title in 16mm so I don't need two prints. Anyone know how limited this Super Eight print is? I think it was only one of around 50 or less print's struck.

Best, Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you have a print that could sell for well more. yes, as a general rule, Red Fox prints tend to tech a great price!

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason Disney`s seem to go for less than you think is that they sold so well often in the 100`s and the feature collector market is rapidly contracting as there are fewer hard core collectors now.
A lot of people now seem to go for the interesting short stuff and looks like they are the sellers at CHC and Derann as well now.
You know I have never yet seen one of Deranns disney features projected but some of the disney 200 footers are amazing for the period they were produced.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of Fra and it took me years to get my hands on one....and I really do mean years.
I eventually found a copy through Paul Foster and it cost me about £150 ($300).
It is superb in quality and one that will NEVER leave my collection and yes it's the Red Fox job.

Osi, Close Encounters was 19 prints total.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev:
Thank's for posting. Ironically $300.00 is indeed what I paid for my print. I am going for a MINT 16mm reduction but will wait before I sell off the Super Eight Red Fox print. I want to make sure the 16mm reduction is good. The seller said it's a print down from pristine 35mm pre-print and the picture and sound are superb. But it's best not to get in a hurry and sell off the Super Eight print until the print's are both compared.
Best, Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very wise Tom!

For all you know, that Red Fox print may end up being better than the 16MM print. Did Red Fox do 16Mm prints? If so, it might be from the same negative.

I understand why people sell super 8mm over 16MM, usually to build dollars for expanding thier 16MM. From what I've heard, however, most people who sell thier Super 8's regret it later.

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2007 01:44 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Red Fox Films did not strike 16mm prints. These two S8 prints (Diavolo & Bonnie Scotland)came in to being around the time home video was coming in. Red Fox aimed for good quality control on these two. I have never watched these titles in 16mm in syndication or otherwise as of yet. Yes, it's best to compare prints. It could very well be possible that more care was indeed taken with the Super Eight features on these titles quality control wise. Especially Fra Diavolo. I remember the ad for these two in Classic Images magazine year's back.
Best, Tom

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 01, 2007 02:00 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom - When you come to sell your DIAVOLO, think of me - RED FOX manufactured a first-rate release of both this and SCOTLAND, boxes were keen too - PM me, I have a short-want list you might be able to help me with - Shorty

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 04:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Fra Diavolo is one of the nicest black and white prints I have seen. It's got a really nice graduation through out the whole film. The blacks are not clagged up and the highlights arent burnt out. The film is very clean looking too.
My copy is on Black and White Kodak stock and is polyester based.
Definitely a print to look out for.

How many people have ever watched Fra Diavolo I wonder. When I mention this title to other people the chances are they have never heard of it. I have to say that for me it's one of their funniest operetta's and the long wait for a super 8 print was really worth it.

Also known as "Bogus Bandits" and "The Devils Brother"

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong, but isnt Fra Diavlo in public domain? Public domain titles are usually cheaper than licensed titles.

James.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that may be the case with DVD/VHS etc but not on film where there were so few copies released.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 08:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a shame no-one releases the lads now as a 400 short for say £40-45 would still sell really well I think.
Kodak did do a super fine grain archive 16mm poly B+W film stock as well so probably would have been available to the labs.
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I didn't bother to get this title. I know that there are funny moments to it, but I HATE OPERA, in any and all forms! (hisssssss ...)

I did like portions of "Babes in Toyland", but i disliked the musical numbers so much, I cut out all of that and made it a 800ft. version with laurel and Hardy's comedy bits, and even though a good portion of the story was gone, it is still wonderfully good, (just love that "dunking" scene)

It would even work well as a 400ft, with just the boys going off to work and then dealing with a most annoying toy solgier.

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 01:37 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev:

I have to agree that the Super Eight print of "Fra Diavolo" has superb density and is fantastic. It must rank as the best black and white print in Super Eight. I have that 16mm reduction lined up but not sure how the quality will be or compare. I hate to let my Super Eight print go. Any guess as to how many print's in Super Eight of "Fra Diavolo" are out there? At one time many year's ago I was told fifty.

Best, Tom

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the price on FRA DIAVOLO in Super 8 is a bit less than you would think. I purchased my copy about 10 years ago. I think I paid around $200 USD. I recall seeing it and BONNIE SCOTLAND each going for less than that on Ebay within the last year or so. My theory is that once it came out on DVD, the demand for a Super 8 copy dropped. They were both out-of-print on VHS for a few years.

I don't own the DVD, and will never sell my Super 8 copy unless I, too, get my hands on a 16mm original or print-down. But honestly, the Super 8 print is so good there is almost no reason to get it in 16mm, since I don't project films in an auditorium, just in my small basement. I only upgrade my Super 8 L&H films to 16mm when I am dissatisfied with the quality of the smaller gauge.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it folks, but I saw a "Fra Dialvo" (eh, I got that wrong) for 49.95 on 16mm, (american ebay) yesterday.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 11:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of the day what's it is worth to the collector to want to have a print in his collection. With the small number of prints that were run on super 8 it will be a difficult print to get your hands on.

It took me about 5 years to find a copy and wow what a brilliant copy it is too.

Kev.

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi:

I believe the 16mm print on e-bay America was a DUPE of "Fra Diavolo". This seller also sold a 16mm DUPE of "Sons Of The Desert" too.

Probably the best I could do price wise for the Super Eight print is what I paid for it from author Scott Allen Nollen. He used it to research his L&H book in 1989. I paid $300.00 for it. Like Kev say's it is indeed special and limited and rare.

--Tom

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 08, 2007 04:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, having seen you put this up on eBay I take it your 16mm print is a cracker.

Perhaps you could do a review of the 16mm print.

Kev.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 08, 2007 05:36 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev your copy was maybe £119 or likely £129 as I just missed it at the time but it was below £130 which was`nt bad from a dealer. Not that its that relevant.
I still haven`t seen the film in any way or form, is it on dvd I wonder.
Best Mark.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2007 11:34 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev & Mark:

To be honest I am taking a chance on the 16mm reduction print. I have not received it yet from the seller. I was assured by the seller that it is indeed mint. I had to do this by borrowing money from my Dad to get the 16mm copy. The ONLY way I could buy it was to sell off the Super Eight print first. I have a really bad feeling this was a very bad idea. I really can't imagine the 16mm print being any better picture wise than the Red Fox Super Eight print. I wish I could have both print's but I can't. So it's a major gamble for me to buy the 16mm reduction blindly. I hope for the best!!!

Mark: Turner Classic Movies does indeed have this title and "Bonnie Scotland" out on DVD here in the States. I have a copy but never got around to watching it yet. It certainly would not have the hues and density of an actual film print.

Best,

--Tom

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 08, 2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Tom, thanks for the info re Bonnie Scotland, shame you have to take the gamble but at least it will be on film and should be nice, sounds it, Have to be on DVD for me FD too and some kind luck to see it for me thanks to this thread and the chap.
Best Mark.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to consider changing the auction title. I routinely search in film for 8mm, Super 8, and Laurel, (among others) but it never showed up in my searches. I just found it now when I searched on Diavolo.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC