8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay's double edged sword ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay's double edged sword ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 23, 2007 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaah, the double edged sword of ebay.

I saw two auctions for Laurel and hardy's "Bohemian Girl". Both appear to be Blackhawk prints, (and i have found that most collectors of Blackhawk tend to keep thier prints in good condition), except that one auction has been bid up a lot and is at the mid thirty dollar margin, while the other has no bids ans starts at 99.00!

A perfect example of what to do when using ebay.

Before placing ANYTHING of ANY value on ebay, check to see if 1. the very same item is already on ebay, 2. What the price is at, and 3. Are there bids on it already?

The sad thing about us collectors, is that we are quite frankly, laregely un-realistic. I'm betting that the person with a 99.00 starting bid is a rabid collector like most of us
who would like to at least get most of what they paid for it, but we rarely get that, unless it is a very rare print.

That, and there are those people that have no idea of the reel value of the film that they are placing on ebay, either that or there are people getting thier daddies collections and since they hold no personal value for that person, they start the film at a rediculously low price.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $125 for BOHEMIAN GIRL 12 years ago!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC