8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Jerry Lewis Features are available on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Jerry Lewis Features are available on Super 8
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The topic heading pretty much says it all. What Jerry Lewis features are available on Super 8?

I would include his films with Dean Martin.

I wouldn't be surprised if his last feature, (of his own) "Hardly Working", is probably on optical sound Super 8
somewhere.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 16, 2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Full Length Features:

Don't Give Up the Ship
The Sad Sack
Visit to a Small Planet

"Pardners" was released on Standard 8.

Columbia 400' Digests:

The Big Mouth
Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River
Three on a Couch

Ken Films 200' Silent:

Sailor Beware
Scared Stiff
Which Way to the Front

Wasn't "Cracking Up" (aka "Smorgasbord") his last starring (and directing) feature?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2008 08:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

You got me on that Doug. I didn't even remember that one. The reason though is obvious. It was given a test screening and it did poorly, so it was shelved, only to see the light of day on VHS I believe. I bet it did well in France. They love everything Jerry does, (that's not a slam, they really do love Jerry, right Jean?

I don't even think I saw it. I did see "Hardly Working"
(A title he came up with referring to his career state at the time.) It at least had a few good laugh's but nowhere near his great works of the past (late 50's early 60's)

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can add three more titles to Jerry Lewis on the home screen.An extract from THE BELLBOY was released in France (by Film Office ?) AT WAR WITH THE ARMY full length from Red Fox
THE GEISHA BOY full length from Pinnacle Films
A kinescope segment from THE COLGATE COMEDY HOUR from 1951, from Celebrity Films,with Margaret Dumont and Mike Mazurki,is one of my most treasured possesions.A half hour of pure undiluted and screamingly funny Martin and Lewis live performance,is sheer delight. 8mm forum

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

some German versions:

Besuch auf einem kleinen Planeten
(Jerry der Astronautenschreck)
Visit To A Small Planet (3*120m, b&w, sound):
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent272.htm

Der Bürotrottel
The Errand Boy (1*120m, b&w, sound):
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent349.htm

Jerry Lewis – Jerry der Regimentstrottel
(Der Regimentstrottel)
The Sad Sack (4*120m, b&w, sound)

Eine total, total verrückte Welt
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (2*110m, colour, sound?)

... there could be more...

Jörg

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2008 04:08 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
Here's one for your collection...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jerry-Lewis-Dont-Give-Up-The-Ship-Super8-Feature-Film_W0QQitemZ170252864591QQihZ007QQcategoryZ63821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2008 05:23 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smorgasbord was a big hit here, I saw it on its first day of release and the cinema was full.

Lewis was very popular in Australia and he toured often until he got sick in Darwin a few years ago.

David

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osy,

If you're interested, I have:

Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River; 1x400ft;

for sale.

reagrds,

JC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 20, 2008 04:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean ...

I'm not into Jerry Digests, but thanks, but I was happy to find out where my print of "The Geisha Boy" came from, as it doesn't have any original leader on it.

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 04:38 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw Jerry live here last night in Melbourne. Full house and a great show. He shows clips from some of his films and others with Dean, Frank, etc. He sings That Old Black Magic from The Nutty Professor (don't you wish that was on Super 8!) and many other great routines and gags.

Did you know he was the number one box-office star for 14 years over his career?

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always look forward to seeing his telethon each year. It's almost like a holiday type thing. It's good to see some of the old masters are still about!

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 04:00 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Jerry, one project still on the shelves is "The Day the Clown Cried", his nazi-camp clown comedy (shades of Roberto Benigni's 'Life is Beautiful'.)
The film had a messy history, with claims of ownership and many production problems, and so far has never been officially released.
It's become one of those 'misguided project' cult films that few have ever seen any footage from.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2008 01:49 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thunderbird also issued THE CADDY.I don't know if many prints were sold.I have never seen it in second hand lists.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC