8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » John Wayne Films on Super 8mm? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: John Wayne Films on Super 8mm?
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2008 02:11 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's time to get offa yer hoss and drink yer milk, pilgrim."

I am trying to compile a list of all available John Wayne FEATURE films that are, or have been, available on Super 8mm. Listed below are titles that I already have in my collection and it only consists of FULL FEATURES and "MINI" features. -

Circus World - Derann
The Conqueror - Universal 8
Jet Pilot - Universal 8
Rio Grande - Powell Films
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - Mountain Films
Fort Apache - Mountain Films
Stagecoach - Ivy Films
Wake of the Red Witch - Derann
True Grit - Marketing Films (With "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" 400ft added, to "complete the story")
The Quiet Man - Powell Films
Sands of Iwo Jima - Powell Films
Brannigan - ??????

I know that prints of the following have been available -

Flying Leathernecks (must be colour - not B/W) - Mountain Films
Flying Tigers - ????
Aleghenny Uprising - ????
Rio Bravo - CHC

If anyone knows of any other titles that are "available" then I would be grateful of your input? Also, if anyone knows who released the Super 8 print of "Brannigan", please advise?

Considering the Duke's prolific film career, it is amazing how few films of his actually made it to Super 8.

Cheers, lads. [Wink]

[ December 02, 2008, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, Older (haha) bro ...

I can verify the existence of "Flying Tigers" as I have the feature print of it. Kind of scratched up (well worn) but still a great print. Definitely above average for a B/W classic print.
Great contrast, film grain, ect. (though there is a short couple of seconds where the mag stripe is missing.)

I will have a look see and see if the leader says what film company released it on Super 8.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my dear "Brother", I am well aware of your "possesion" of the "Flying Tigers" print - there is no need to gloat.

Just remember, when you visit the lawyers, to ensure my little "Forumatic Nephew's" future, that you "ear-mark" the print for your "Elder Overseas Relative"?

Many thanks, young-un. [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, write me, in the off chance that you might have a feature you would wish to trade for this feature, (that is "Flying Tigers")

It is a great "Wayne feature", but I'm more partial to "Wayne Westerns" than "Wayne War" films.

Not kidding Keith.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 01:32 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,

Did you know just before Universal 8 went under they made some test prints of "Hellfighters" F/L, Derek Simmonds told me that when he went to the States to complete a deal for existing U8 titles he saw these prints, none split, just as they had come from the labs, but he couldn't get his hands on them due to legal restraints, but it makes you think if any did sneek out of U8 before they went under.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 01:54 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Barry, I did know that. Derek told me that it was something to do with "monies owed" to the company, at the time. It would be a nice thought that "someone" managed to "spirit away" a few prints but I.ve never seen a full length print of "Hellfighters" on Super 8.

[ December 02, 2008, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 02:04 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And also:

THE LUCKY TEXAN. (Full Feature)
SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1200ft edited by Film office for frensh version).
STAGECOATCH( Full feature edited by Film Office for frensh version).

I think that "Aleghenny Uprising" was edited in 4x400ft.

"CIRCUS WORLD" was also edited in 4x400ft by UFA (German).

Regards,

JC.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith,
I will get the full feature of "Rio Bravo" on Super 8 with german sound next year.
Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 09:47 AM      Profile for peter booth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith,
Brannigan is on Deranns latest list@£85.And you are right,there is'nt a great deal of his films available on Super 8mm,
Regards,Peter.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, It's not on their list anymore. It is sitting on my shelf along with my other Wayne possesions. [Big Grin]

Your a lucky man Michael. I have been waiting for "Rio Bravo" to appear on a used list, for sometime. C.H.C. released it over here, but it appears to be eluding me a the moment. [Roll Eyes]

Still my "signature" below, taken from "The Searchers", says it all. [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 02, 2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, did you see my post earlier? Unless you already have "Flying Tigers", send me an e-mail, if you'd like to trade for it.

By the way "Stagecoach" was released an an optical sound super 8 feature. Very nice print, and it's in sepia tone!

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the offer Osi. An E-mail has been sent.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 02, 2008 11:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had the dream of finding my two favorite John Wayne films of the 70's on optical sound Super 8, those being ...

Big Jake ...

" You can call me father, you can call me Jake, you can call me a dirty son of a bitch ...

But you call me DADDY again and I'll finish this fight! "

and, "The Shootist" ...

(looking up into the camera, tired and in pain, close up)

" You just take care of ole dollar. "

and the most haunting but perhaps true statement of John's Wayne's own health at the time of making the Shootist ...

" I'm a dying man, afraid of the dark. "

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 12:16 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I've seen both of these titles available on 16mm over the past year. At times it has tempted me to "up-guage". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 02:38 PM      Profile for peter booth         Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,
Why am I not surprised,
Peter.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 04:32 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thunderbird: ANGEL AND THE BADMAN
BLUE STEEL
DESERT TRAIL
MAN FROM UTAH
SAGEBRUSH TRAIL
THE STAR PACKER
WEST OF THE DIVIDE (also Niles)
WINGS OF THE WASTELAND
HURRICANE EXPRESS (serial .feature version only)
Niles THE LUCKY TEXAN
THE LONG VOYAGE HOME (b'hawk?)
ALEGHENNY UPRISING.

And I am sure I am missing several more.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Panayotis, for that list of titles.

I always suspected that a lot of Wayne's earlier films had been available on Super 8mm over the years. They don't appear very often though. This probably reinforces his popularity amongst the collecting fraternity - collectors who have decent prints of them, tend to hang on to them.

The search goes on......

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add THE WAR WAGON ,plus a production reel on CAHILL,U S MARSHALL the title of which escapes me right now.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 02:13 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis - Was the War Wagon avaialble as a feature length release? I know there are quite a lot od "short" materials available, as production shorts or digests, but I am only interested in Feature length prints.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 03, 2008 02:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith ...

Some "Tigers" are "Flying" your way tommorow!

By the way, I sent you another e-mail, concerning the damnable "Paypal bite"!

Hope you enjoy this rarity!

Just to comment further, I wouldn't be surprised if there are, lurking about in warehouses or in private collections, John Wayne optical sound Super 8 feature prints, at least his 1970's films, as mnay films released from the late 60's through 1990's ended up on optical sound super 8.

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 05:05 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Osi. Like I said, "It is "flying" to a good home".

Chalk up another Wayne film to the collection. Now if I could just find that elusive print of "The Alamo" or "The Searchers".

Everyone has their "Holy Grail".

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 03, 2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, like Monty Python, even those lads had thier Holy Grail!

Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni!

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALEGHENNY UPRISING was released by Blackhawk. (Never saw a print, though.)

My copy of STAGECOACH is from Hollywood Film Exchange. It is pretty good, but I wonder how it compares with the Ivy version.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too sure, but I beleive I've seen a F/L print of "Tall in the Saddle" advertised in the U.S. many years ago, I know it was available for 8mm as Mountain brought out a 2x400' version here in the U.K., may be worth looking out for.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 05, 2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where the master material came from for "Stagecoach" as a optical sound Super 8 feature. It is curious, as the first almost thirty seconds are black (sepia) and then the main titles come on. Perhaps they had to get rid of the original studio logo, but then, what company brought out this film, if not the original studio, on Super 8 optical, as, usually, the studio's themselves produced their own prints on optical sound.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC