8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » before i make my first splice...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: before i make my first splice...
Jeffrey Ouellette
Junior

- posted April 07, 2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Ouellette   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Ouellette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have any professional equipment, but I was wondering what the best way to deal with the many little lengths of film that will enviably be floating around. I've seen some pictures it looks like they hang up the lengths, but the three ways I can think of doing it seem wrong. I've though of using a paperclip, but of course this would damage the film. I've thought of using tape but I'm worried about leaving adhesive stuck to it. And I've thought about just hanging them over a pole, but again it seems bad to make any sort of contact with anything but the edge of the film.

Also it seems like the most effective way of doing actually editing the film would be to make all the cuts I need first then assemble them from the beginning, or is it easier to just make cuts and then splices one at a time?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one splice at a time...the less splices the better

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jeffrey Ouellette
Junior

- posted April 07, 2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Ouellette   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Ouellette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I just realised that this is the wrong forum. Oops.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 07, 2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffrey (I moved your post),

Ah...the old days of film editing! Joe is correct. One cut/splice at a time is best, but if you've shot out of sequence or are pulling from multiple sources that may be tough. Film editors would use hooks on a line over a bin. The hooks would fit into the sprocket holes to hold up the section of film. Of course, this is easier in 16mm & 35mm. For Super 8mm, you coud use clothespins or plastic clips to hold the film, like the happy fellow from the cover of a pamphlet from the folks at Guillotine.

-

Here's some helpful info from the same pamphlet:

-
 -
 -

Good luck!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you could help yourself by getting some kind of film cleaner, either a quick dry kind or a slow like filmrenew, because no matter how careful you are you will get dust,etc on the film when you are piecing it all together...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jeffrey Ouellette
Junior

- posted April 07, 2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Ouellette   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Ouellette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a bunch. Lots of useful information there.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC