8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Forgotten Age of Bootlace Cinema!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forgotten Age of Bootlace Cinema!
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 07:30 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/feature/hcc+retro+blu+ ray+and+videotape+there+was+forgotten+age+bootlace+cinema+11+10+09

Actually not so forgotten Mr Holliss! [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 07:37 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent contribution Ricky!

Makes one love the hobby - or is it a way of life - even more.

Thanks.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 08:01 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike so many articles about home film, this piece is actually both rather balanced and quite affectionate towards 8mm. The only thing that could have made it better is if it had made note of us... [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 08:33 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice read.

I wonder how many movie buffs or Home Cinema aficionados are actually aware that the "true" home cinema film formats of 8mm and 16mm are still very much in use.

We're used to daily discussion of film formats as it's our hobby but I'm guessing the vast majority of the general public have absolutely no idea that real film is still actually available and used.

There might be a lot more enthusiasm for the hobby of film collecting out there than we think.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good article but disappointing that there's no mention of the 1980s revival and no mention of all the great releases of the 80s/90s (except one sentence mentioning the Disney deal, and no acknowledgement that 8mm collecting continues today, rather than it being a "very long time ago". I've tried sending a comment to set the record straight and other members might also like to do so.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 09:36 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too enjoyed the article and illustrations very much (thanks Ricky!).

I was very surprised that there was no mention of the "Star Wars" digests, which really made super 8 history here in the U.S., putting movie projectors in many peoples homes for the first time back in the 70's.

Still a very enjoyable read.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Left a post myself. I noticed that this looks like a UK article, as there is an emphasis on British releases, (no problem there), as the person obviously has no knowledge of the countless american Super 8 companies.

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 03:38 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home Cinema Choice is a British publication.

When was the last US release on Super 8? Let's hope Osi can change that date when his missing reel turns up.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 23, 2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article...did anyone look at some of those home cinemas..they were very nice, didn't see any rattly 80+year old Ernemann projectors though [Frown] [Smile] kidding aside his comments did not surprise me about film as most people think it died of years ago, for film projection and collecting to survive into the future you have to get young people involved. It was interesting recently that I tried to give away boxes of old DVDs for free to both my son and our young side kick projectionist at work who both own Eumig projectors, they showed zero interest in those DVDs but did ask did I have any more "Tom and Jerry" Super8 cartoons, [Smile] at the cinema where I work the people I show around always say "thought it was all video these days" and go into the...wow..factor when they see those 35mm projectors running and even sometimes I think...wow....in amazment [Roll Eyes] just after they get us through another lot of busy school holidays [Smile]

One thing for certain there aint no....wow factor...with video projecting [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC