8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why Digital When You Own Film? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why Digital When You Own Film?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 08:29 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do film collectors who avidly buy celluloid and the equipment to show film still buy into the digital projection medium? Is it a greater title assortment or is there some benefit to owning both that I'm not seeing? I would think a movie buff would just choose one or the other, but not both. If anything it's got to be bloody expensive.

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 09:09 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I originally got a digital projector to have a huge screen gaming experience with my kids. Now that I have it, I do show some movies, either DVD or Laser Disk using it that "A" I CAN'T find in film, "B" don't feel like paying the price for the film.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 28, 2009 09:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film collecting has always been a very expensive hobby, adding a video projector into a home cimema set up gives you and others the chance to watch say eg the latest movie on DVD or Blu-ray at a fraction of the cost of buying a feature on film and thats if its even available.

Although buying a VP is still expensive its a lot less than what it was years ago, also I guess the introduction of DVD gave you a quality that video could not, for me the days of buying a new 100-200 pound feature are long gone... only shorts now.

The one thing I dont understand is why people sell of their films and projectors for VP. I think thats a mistake. I look on film and film projection quite different than VP projection and feel both have their use, also I have much on film thats not available on any other format likewise with DVD. I guess it all comes down to choice of what you want to watch, running VP and film can give you that.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2009 09:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a video projector for Christmas. This will put a large variety of material onto my screen that’s been impossible before. For example we'd like to watch the next Winter Olympics on the big screen.

This is a supplement though, and will never replace reel film on a 30 year old projector. There's certainly the tinker factor, and also the fact that there is a lot of good content that I've scrounged together in my film collection over many years that doesn't exist on video either!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 10:06 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have HiDef, but not as projection; I have a 58-inch Panasonic plasma with a Playstation 3 for Blu-Ray playback.

I love films, but they are the ones that are 'bloody expensive'; even in 16mm, getting decent prints (with normal color) is becoming prohibitive for major titles.
I pick and choose carefully. Luckily I love B/W [Wink]

Meanwhile, I am getting new Blu-Rays at good prices, depending on the film and the source:
"Snow White, Diamond Edition" (2 BR discs + 1 DVD): $10 + $3 shipping from one of Amazon's sellers.

"2001": $12.50 with shipping.

"A Bridge Too Far": $10 at CostCo.

Quite a difference when money's not abundant. Still, I keep looking at prints, and when a good one shows up, I do jump into the fray. That fever won't go away [Big Grin]

Re: projection. I do think that, space permitting, when the time comes where the big Panny is wearing out (I hope in more than 5 years) I will look at a projector instead of a dedicated set, as most likely I won't be able to get a plasma replacement set then.
By then, the contrast ratios and general improvement of the projectors should be quite amazing (resembling the 16000-lumen monsters we currently see on the corporate video jobs.)

Still, firing up the 16mm Xenon and running "The Last Laugh" or "On the Waterfront" is, for lack of a better phrase, just a much more 'organic' experience, much like when I listen to music transferred from my turntable to my reel-to-reel. All analogue, all in its original domain.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year, I got a video projector and an 80" screen. The projector is the excellent Panasonic AX200 which, though 720p, actually rivals 1080p projectors in terms of picture quality. I have been enjoying my huge DVD and Blu-Ray collection more than ever. Old movies in particular as I can now get an idea of how they played in their original theatrical run.

So, why did I spend $1,100 for a Super 8mm projector and an additional $60 on a 40" portable screen? Easy. Film has an unique look and feel to it than digital video. There ARE Blu-Rays out there that come damn close to looking and feeling like film, but they are rare.

Going film is a dream I've had for many years. I am enjoying my new collection immensely. There is a thrill in threading the machine and hearing the sound of the film going through the projector. Not to mention that seeing a movie in as close to it's orignal format as possible.

Expensive, yes. In fact, after my current deals are done I'm going to have to stop and let my accounts build back up. But when they have, I'll jump right back in. [Smile] Hopefully, I'll have enough then to make my first purchase from Derann.

I only plan on a small collection. A few shorts but mostly digests and a select few features. The features will be run as a special treat. I am thrilled to now have a choice of film and video and hope to enjoy both collections for many years to come.

I should explain before anyone asks, that I cannot use the 80" screen for film as the shelf is WAY too narrow to accomadate a projector with reels. I set up the 40" screen in a corner of the room and it works fine. I'll try and take some pictures of my HT soon so everyone can see for themselves.

Tom

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 01:09 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't you want both? I've had both for many years and it's great. I use the DLP projector for more recent films and stuff that I can't get on film easily.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can answer this one pretty easily ...

I buy DVD so that I can watch a film that I would never shell out two or three hundred pounds new, on film, for a mere two or three bucks!

Therefore, all that is in my collection are films that I really want to see on the big screen in they're original format.

I know I've posted them before, but I am so honored to have the films that I so cherished as a child, as film prints in my collection ...

Logans Run
STAR WARS
Close Encounters
Alien
Poltergeist

.... and all in scope! We are fortunately that those that love film, also had the good sense to make great picks for Super 8 feature releases!

DVD/Laserdisc projection has grown by leaps and counds, even since the early 90's when I bought my first of two sharpvision TV's Back then, the line resolution on those big babies weren't so hot, but in lieu of film projection , (I had sold my original Super 8 collection; looking back .... STUPID STUPID STUPID!!), it was the next best thing.

To this day it will be, and only be, the next best thing.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 10:16 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay....Now my next question....Without risking going bankrupt, what do I look for in a good inexpensive digital projector for simply watching movies on either a screen or a big white wall (no gaming - just movies)? Also, which is better with televisions...LCD or Plasma? Again, all just for normal tv viewing and movies.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 10:22 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own both a digital projector and a super 8 projector, and the reason is simple, and that is the selection of media.

Personally, I own several DVD and/or BluRay boxsets like "The Three Stooges collection", and I want to be able to show them on the big screen like I do with my reels, but gathering all 190 shorts on Super8, that would be very time- and money consuming.

That, and new films. I want to be able to enjoy newer films like "Mamma Mia!" (yes, I like ABBA, I'm from Norway) without having to pay hundreds of pounds to have it brought to reels.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting discussion:

It's the exact opposite question people usually ask!

It still implies you have to make a choice when you don't.

Why own a car when you own a bicycle?
Why have a daughter when you have a son?
Why watch TV and read books too?

Why...not?!

Most of the folks that call us "Anoraks" forget that the real difference between us and them is they won't use film, but most of us will use video.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 12:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one, Steve!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2009 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Steve ...

If you were to ask the average person, they would assume that buying a Super 8 print of something easily gotten on DVD, (for a lot less), is settling for subpar, when they could have the glory and splendor of BR or DVD. They don't understand why film is, (and, in my opinion) and always will be, superior to digital.

keeping in mind getting a good print on film because, after all, not all Super 8 prints are equal.

The only advice I can give on digital projectors, is that you can't go wrong with a SHARP brand projection TV. They were one of the firast on the market and they're merchendise is top notch in all categories. I have owned two, (the last one I bought in 1999), and that second one still works as good as whyen I first bought it, and with the parts and labor "insurance" that I bought with it, the LCD panels have all been replaced for free and it works brilliantly.

Are the projectors coming out today as good with parts/labor and overall stability of operation?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you buy a video projector, you need to decide a few things
1) Resolution - do you want a projector that can handle 1080P (Blu Ray) or just standard 480P video. Standard projectors are a lot cheaper. Note that almost any projector out there can display both NTSC and PAL.

2) Technology - LCD, DLP or DLA (LCOS).
DLA (LCOS) is the best, but it's EXPENSIVE. The JVC RS-20 for instance sells at about $6000. I personally don't like LCD.

The key is to find somewhere to look at a projector before you buy it - or have someone who you trust tell you that they like it. Don't just go buy something....

You can get a standard def projector used on ebay dirt cheap -- I had one go bad on me (a Sharp PG-M20x) and bought a replacement for it for $200. It's a terrific projector if all you care about is SD. Another good one is the Infocus X-1. (Both of these are long out of production, but you can get them super cheap used).

For HD projectors - the JVC DLA projectors are stunning, but expensive. I just recently bought an OPTOMA HD806 (DLP) projector which I quite like.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2009 01:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we are going someplace I need to go...

Here's my situation:

Throw: about 20 feet
Screen: 52" by 92" Matte

Will a standard resolution projector put a nice image up on this screen? I really don't ever expect to need to go bigger, since this was the biggest screen that would fit behind the curtains on our living room window.

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running my SD projector on a 9ftx12ft screen and it looked fine. The key is to make sure you have enough brightness for your screen size - in my case, I try to find projectors that have at least 1500 lumens (preferably 2000). If you have a smaller screen you can go with a projector that puts out less light. If you consider the fact that an ELC 250W lamp puts out about 650 lumens in a 3-blade projector, you can use that to judge what you would need.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 01:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Steven on this; the JVC LCOS (or D-ILA as they call it) are stunning. I've owned mine for a few months and it is the best video projector I have owned by quite some margin. And I've owned (or should that be "thrown away money on") quite a few over the years.

One thing to watch out for when you choose is the flexibilty of the lens zoom. Many video projectors are designed for BIG pictures with small throws and and such, if you have a decent throw (which 20ft is) you may struggle to get the image small enough believe it or not! Worth checking out the lens specs. before deciding.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 02:05 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, when you go that big (92x52 inches) anything below 720p is out of the question (720p = 1280x720). I would recommend getting a Full HD projector and a computer with BluRay or a BluRay-player.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one serious flaw with the JVC is the brightness. I had a vendor bring one to my house to demo and while the picture was absolutely stunning, it was just way too dim (the RS-10 has a brightness of 1000 lumens I think) for my screen size.

I really hope they come out with a 2000 lumen version soon...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,

How about this one?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644599-REG/Epson_V11H331020_705HD_Powerlite_Home_Cinema.html

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fair point Steven. My screen is 6ft wide and at that size the whites are retina burning. It has a 3 step aperture and you have to run it mid-way at the very brightest! But, yes 12ft is lot more screen to fill!

Pity they don't make a brighter version as you say, because the inky black levels produced by D-ILA are awesome and bring the look just a little bit closer to REAL film!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2009 03:28 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own the Panasonic AX200U and positively love it. It brought back the spark of wanting to watch movies on the big screen at home. It's been 18 months since I got the machine, and only last week did I watch a movie on TV since getting the Panasonic. I have allergies and was not feeling good this particular night, so I was not up to the task of sitting in the basement for the movie.

But anyways, the vast titles available at such a low price. I don't buy new super 8 features anymore but might in the future to do my part of supporting the hobby.

However, I would suggest that unless you got the buckaroos, a video projector should NOT replace your standard TV. These bulbs in these machines are very expensive to replace. Even though they last a long time, $300.00+ for a bulb when it's due.

Watch TV on TV. Watch movies on the big screen.

And despite the greatness of having a video projector - let me tell you I still would rather run a pair of ST1200HD machines than a DVD player hooked up to a video projector.

Just my two cents on this subject.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2009 03:35 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with you Chip -- I use the DLP projector for everything video -- I haven't used my tv set in years (In fact the TV I have I bought in the mid 90s).

The lamps in the projectors last 2000 hours -- at $300 a lamp, you're talking 15 cents an hour to run it. Big deal. And by the time you actually wear out the lamp, it will probably be time to get a new projector anyway...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Chip on this - don't use your video projector for anything but movies. If you use it all the time to watch TV, the magic goes away. Much better to keep it for that special movie occasion.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 30, 2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only use the video projector for mostly features "something special" not for TV stuff. The Plasma in the house can do that. The projector is a Panasonic PT-AX200E and I run it in the Eco-mode which looks fine with full black masking and a room that can give me total darkness. It may not be top of the range but can achieve very good results with normal DVD.

One last thing [Roll Eyes] and its a comment I made about projectors at work the other day with our part time projectionist who has reached the grand old age of sixteen [Roll Eyes] [Smile] and the owner of the "Eumig 940, I said that video projection is the way of the future... he replied... yes it was but you cant compare...pixels with film....and I thought [Roll Eyes] yes thats right this kid has got it right "good on him" If anyone has any boxes of Super8 film to give away both him and my son want more [Smile]

Graham.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC