8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How Did They Subtitle Silent 8mm ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Did They Subtitle Silent 8mm ?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2011 05:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered how subtitles were applied to the old 8mm silent digests.

|  IP: Logged

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2011 04:26 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Probably using method 1 or 2 below...

'In Print' (hard) subtitles can be created in several ways...

1. Use a subtitle negative that is "bi-pack" printed to hold back exposure from the lettered area.

2. Optically printed or output (e.g., laser film recorder) onto the printing negative.

3. Wax-etch or chemical-etch method: The processed print is coated with a thin layer of wax, then the subtitles are embossed into each wax-coated frame. The film is then put into a strong bleach, that bleaches out the film emulsion in the title areas. The wax is then removed using a solvent.

4. Laser subtitles: a powerful laser "writes" the titles onto each frame of a processed print. The print is then rewashed to remove the charred debris from the titles.

The wax-etch and laser subtitling methods usually remove the emulsion, so the subtitles are at a slightly different focus plain than the actual picture image.

Modern cinema subtitles can be 'soft' subtitles i.e. subtitles projected over the film image and therefore the same print can be used for both subtitled and non-subtitled screnings (e.g. DTS CSS - Cinema Subtitling System, Dolby Screentalk).

Rick [Smile]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2011 10:04 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ricky. I imagine laser technology probably wasn't available back in the 60s/70s or, if it was, it probably would not have been too cost-effective when the digests were created. I always suspected they probably etched the sub-titles onto a plate of glass occasionally with a black border at the bottom and then re-filmed the positive print through the glass creating the effect. I can't imagine the vendors would have had the $ to optically print titles directly onto the negatives. I could be wrong.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC