8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your box art

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your box art
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem to many that box art is a very important part of our hobby. I guess with the expense and years it takes to get the titles we want it should seem fit to look after our films and present them whenever possible in good box. I myself have always tried to do something when i can & and over the years we have more or less scanned all our film boxes into the PC and have either completley re-newed them or made our own from scratch, prefebly the size of the box itself rather than a sticky label in the middle of a white box, ours are always completley covered in sticky backed plastic which gives them the strength and extra protection from moisture. Some of us have chatted briefly on another thread so for those who may be interested i thought i'd open this new one dedicated to our box art. Share and share alike,
To kick off,here is a baby 200ft reel for ad reel 6 heres one i did earlier, BTW, the measurment allows for the fold over along the tab.
 -

HAS ANYONE SPOTTED THE DELIBERATE MISTAKE ON THIS ONE?????
Suffice to say it has been rectified for use as my box.

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 01:52 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pills is spelled wrong?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope [Big Grin] ,Holsten pils lager in the UK is spelt that way, [Wink]

Anything else? its not in the spelling,

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2012 06:07 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Woodbines didn't have a filter tip.
being a non-smoker I may be wrong though

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Donald Pleasence is spelt with an " E " and not an A. Sorry Tom.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2012 06:31 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice work Tom!

I'll try to get some pix up next week, on some of my "creativity" [Wink] .

James.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2012 02:59 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be advert reel number 6. Easy spot Tom! Try something harder next time.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 27, 2012 06:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JOHNNY, 10/10 well done [Big Grin] [Wink] (oops, & spell mistake, Darn, yes the ads on the box are for ad reel 6 and not number 4.
Just a bit of fun,

Well, whilst awaiting more art work, this is one i did for the 3 x 400ft Star Trek T M P, all the blue was repainted in order for me to use our own English only text plus an approx run time, we know its not quite an hour long but to sit down with a stop watch is not something i want to do,although over the next full showing of all our films over 400ft long we are going to change running times on the covers to correspond more acuratly. (John, i'll find a better challange for you, i'm bound to have one somewhere on here)

-

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 27, 2012 08:09 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're a credit to the hobby Tom, those boxes are very well
done and as professional as could be.There's no comparison
between yours and some of the labels the distributors gave us.
Well done that man.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 27, 2012 01:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh, quite a long time can go into these, all i usually need is an original in order to make the alterations although its often easier and better to start again,
For example, when i purchased the 400ft version of Dracula prince of Darkness i did restore the lable of the box, shown here,

-

I found this overall result a little bit bargin basement looking so a quick scan of a photo and some added text gave this better result and its the full 400ft box size.

-

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2012 10:42 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the box cover with a real picture of Mr. Lee on it. It definitely adds more dimension. Isn't the still you chose actually from "Scars Of Dracula" and not "Prince Of Darkness"? I do think you did a great job in creating it, though. Well Done!

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe its just me, but I like the first one alot. (:

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 28, 2012 02:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, thats correct it was a still from Scars of Dracula, i did try to get a good still of the end ice seqeunce near the end but thought this still was a good representation of Dracula himself.
The real photo images idea for me came from the columbia 400ft cut down series, they seem to go thruogh a stage of doing this and we have some good originals form The big mouth with Jerry Lewis, Guns of Navarone and 40guns to Apache pass. This then pushed me in that sort of direction as with these examples,

-

My gripe with this one is the lack of "Super 8 400ft b/w sound"
which we can add as and when.
 -

This item was purchased as the original release of 2 x 400ft, ive joined them onto 1 x 800ft spool and i made this particular label to cover the entire size of the 800ft box, now covered with the sticky plastic it looks good and also has the protective strength, and wipes clean very easily.
So far,(& i've got boxes covered going back well over 10 years)the backed plastic doesnt turn yellow like cellotape does so they look as good now as they always did.

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 12:30 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this is the appropriate topic for what I have in mind to post:

Collecting Standard 8mm monster digests, I find a lot of films in fine condition that come in aged, dilapidated boxes.

My solution? Use Tuscan boxes outfitted with custom printouts of the original artwork. To my eye, these look like "Custom Limited Editions" of the original digests.

-

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 01:24 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - Those look awesome!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 10:34 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, David, those box covers are a credit, and you both should be
very proud, myself, the film is the thing, but nice to know you
folks go that extra yard, well done!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 11:01 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at all this box art is better than the pages in Playboy Magazine! it's all about the box art!

PatD

PS I can't wait for the centerfold box art! [Eek!]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 11:10 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, we've seen your box art, and it's superb, now there are certain people on this forum that require your skills in box making,
I'll drop one name, "Darth" Vidar, from the land of ice & snow,
would love a heap of these bloody things, what's the chance?
I used to be involved in "Time & Motion " studies, so a few hours
marking out. a few hours cutting, and a few glueing. A "nice little earner" as Del Boy would say of "Fools & Horses" fame. Pat your
name could be up in lights. "Pat's the man, For a box, not a can". Seriously Pat, there is a market out there for your skills,
"Carpe Deum" my friend.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom this is my youtube video posted last year on:

Making your own art work for super 8mm film

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2013 06:22 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Professional looking job Winbert. When I get a 16mm feature I printout a poster(or Posters), have them laminated, then stick them on the sides of the box. I think it adds something.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 04:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like your boxes Tom [Cool] Well done. Some of my own films have re made artwork and look pretty smart when printed onto glossy paper as well.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 08:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert is missing his vocation in life.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 12:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert is missing his vocation in life.
[Wink]

That was the work when I just started doing this art work making. Later I have more professional look ones. I will post step by step video should I have a time.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC