8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1600ft Supaspool container/Boxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1600ft Supaspool container/Boxes
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two of these spools at present but have only recently put a movie on one so i have'nt up until now tried fitting one into a 1200ft card box, unfortunatly there a wee bit too big, does anyone have either a box or plastic can that these will fit into? [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told these fit into the 1200' 16mm cans. Not so?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 07, 2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought that to, these are blue reels. i.ll upload an image tomorrow, ive tried fitting them into the elmo 1200 box and also the derann 1200ft white boxes, its weird because theydo fit perfectly onto the elmo st 1200 hd. [Confused]

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2013 04:23 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They fit in the Grasso black plastic 1200 cans.
I have two in those cans. (one in each)

And no, I have none to spare.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 03:29 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The Supaspools should be the same size Tom as the 1200'.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 04:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not fit the two spools into one 1600' 16mm can?

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 09, 2013 07:39 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is a puzzler, although the spools i have are menat to be 1600ft spools they arnt the official supaspools i thinks,
Here are a couple of pics, i have two, one for the film which is a 4 x 400 and fits perfectly as it should but doesnt fit into any 1200ft card boxes, however the weird thing is the other reel which should be identicle does fit in the box but is shy of around 20-30ft in size to hold the film.

Here is the film all snug on the spool and as you can see is a tiny bit too big for the box,,
 -

Here is my other spool which is sat on top, you can make out the outer rim size difference,

-

-

The markings on the spool are
TAYLOREEL COMPANY
155,Murry Street
Rochester
NY 14606.
Its odd to see two reels the same but one made slightly too small, after all, the point is to be able to fit 1600 ft of film and also to fit in the 1200 standard size box. [Confused]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 10, 2013 02:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago Tony Churcher in the UK produced some spools which he called SupaSpools. They had the same overall size of an Elmo 1200' spool but because they had a small centre it was said they would hold 1600' of film.

Tony was a regular visitor to the Tadleigh Film Convention and I bought a couple of spools from him. However, they were very heavy, even without any film, I'm not sure of the metal used but they were actually bolted together.

I tried them on my Elmo ST1200 but they failed to take up the whole full spool, it just slowed down and then stopped. I complained to Tony who said that perhaps a belt needed renewing.

I finally sold them, and then at Ealing bought a few of the proper Elmo 1200' alloy spools and they are still performing well to this day.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 10, 2013 04:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have quite a few of Tony's spools Maurice, and find them invaluable for remounting "epics", leaving in the original intermission, and especially for 'scope features, leaving minimum reel changes.I'll check, but I think they're the same diameter as
Elmo.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 10, 2013 06:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony said that the spools were the same size.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 11, 2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was offering the thing that Tom is looking now a couple weeks ago:

Black Plastic Can for Supaspool 1600'

However my things have been shipped to Indonesia. So Tom, if you are interested to buy, you need to wait for around 40 days from now.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC