8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Helpers for buying overseas from forum members

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Helpers for buying overseas from forum members
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2013 07:12 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
Sometimes when I want to buy some films on ebay (or local auction sites) the sellers wont ship to overseas addresses....yes most will if you ask them nicely [Smile] but
wouldn't it be good if there was a type of network that forum members will allow films to be sent to them in their country and then they can post overseas to other forum members? [Smile]
As long as no-one looses money etc for the help.
Any thoughts?

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
What would defeat this idea is PayPal protection policy. Sellers must ship to confirmed address. Also the person lets say in the Uk would have to bid and pay for the item then ship to you.You would have to pay double shipping to them and from them to you. If theres a problem whos responsible? Good idea but I think theres lots of things may happen in process.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 17, 2013 07:49 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently completed a ebay purchase in the exact way. There has to be faith and trust with the forum members. It does cost more for shipping but it was the only way I could get the print. It worked out fine between us but the print was not to my liking so I just resold it on ebay with a more accurate description. However, you have no recourse to original seller because you didn't deal with them directly. Still worth the chance to me to get a print that is hard to find.

Patd

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 17, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This works best among close friends. The last few years before he died I did this with Tim Christian, an honored founding forum member from the UK.

What we did is if Tim sold an item in the US, sometimes he had the buyer pay me, so he had a stash of money here in the US. If I bought something from a UK seller with "UK Only" it would go to his address, he would pay for it and send it to me. I credited his account for this too. When he wanted something in the US with "US Only", I bought it for him and debited his account.

It worked even better when a film was being bought. The in-country guy would project it and let the other one know what he thought of it. I turned back a particularly bad Blackhawk "The Great Train Robbery" for him before it went international and a few weeks later we found him a really nice one. The upside is the in-country guy had a variety of films to watch, if only once!

It was also a lot of fun buying a big lot of films and splitting them up among each other.

There was a time when we figured out that K-40 in the US was roughly 1/2 the price he paid in England. We were hatching this mad scheme to buy him packages of 10 cartridges over here, but Tim became sick and we never pulled it off.

-as I said, this works best among close friends. There has to be a certain sense of trust between the people and the trust needs to be justified as well.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2013 09:17 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a though on buying K-40. In 1990 the last time I was in US I bought some K-40, yes it was cheaper, but in the long run it worked out more expensive. UK was process paid, the US was not.

If you look at some of the other threads, that man Hugh has help of few collectors out.

It could be a good idea for us collectors.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 17, 2013 11:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time roughly 2003 through 2005 when US process-paid Kodachrome 40 was about $13.50 a roll from Kodak in Manhattan. I used a ton of it!

Tim and I checked it out and it was identical in every way to the K-40 process-paid he had right down to the mailer which still said "KODAK PROCESSING NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES", just cheap!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 17, 2013 11:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A French super 8 filmaker reported also that each time he went to the USA he bought a lot of cartridges because there were cheaper. I think that if you buy the filmstock directly from Kodak in the US, it is still cheaper. They seem even to have a cheaper price for students.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 17, 2013 11:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeahhhhh...

When my nephew was in college I thought of buying film through him, but that would be pushing it!

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2013 09:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...yeah those are good points.....

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC