8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » More Tom and Jerry Curiosities ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Tom and Jerry Curiosities ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there has been a lot written about the Tom and Jerry films, but I thought i would add a little more info.

I knew I had two copies of "Posse Cat" (one of the better latter day MGM Tom and Jerry's in my opinion), and I also knew that while both were great color, one was pin sharp and the other was dupey and not a great focus to the image.

I finally found both of them yesterday and decided to compare them.

What I found interesting, was that they were BOTH Walton films releases! They has thier differences ...

Good copy (sharp) Stock unknown, no markings, Walton logo, Yellow label/red background

Bad copy (fuzzy) AGFA Blue Walton logo, purple background.

... so, quite intersting. I'm betting that there is someone out there who could even date when these two editions came out (due to the color of the Walton logo), and I'd love to hear from them!).

However, by and large, I have found the Walton prints of the Tom and Jerry cartoons to be second to none, with the DErann prints equaling the Waltons for sharpness and color, (OK, just a slight advantage to the Deranns).

What's funny is that the official MGM Tom and Jerry's were not up to this same standard, as they have by and large faded, due to inferior stocks.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 08, 2016 03:08 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of Walton's TJ1 "Posse Cat" is Agfa and the colour is still very good. The print is clear. It does not have a Walton intro, it just goes straight into the MGM cartoon logo.

It is slightly cut, as were the first ten Tom & Jerrys to be issued by Walton.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2016 03:49 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann reprinted some of the Walton prints but always cut out the Walton logo and replaced it with MGM instead.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that the "Walton" logo, on both films, is right after the iris out of the cartoon, and before the MGM end title card.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 12:18 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is a Walton print in its original box, however, I only looked at the beginning of the film.
I will have to rewind.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 06:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now re-wound.
Action finishes with an iris out to.....
"A Walton Film. The End" contained within the Walton W. This is printed in white on a magenta background.
Then to.....
"A Tom & Jerry cartoon. Made in Hollywood". (MGM original.)
Tail of film is from the original Technicolor print including the production number.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2016 03:23 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Walton were known to sell "seconds", prints they thought were not up to there usual standard at a discount price, although this was usually printed on the bottom of the box, so one of your "Tom & Jerry's" could be one of those.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 10, 2016 07:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, when you say "seconds" prints, does it mean sub-standard? If zo, I think Walton also sold "thirds" prints. I have a Walton that is realy realy bad. It was just pink, soft foocus, main track only and printed on 3M stock.

quote:
this was usually printed on the bottom of the box,
What Walton printed on the bottom?

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2016 01:11 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could also be the difference between acetate and estar base. If the printer was adjusted for acetate the estar print would be soft. I have 2 different prints of Ken Film's Tom & Jerry, one on acetate, faded but sharp, and one estar, colorful & soft.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry ...

I never knew that! What a wonderful bit of info. Yet another case of something I didn't know before. Always a grand time on here. Thanks, dude!!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC