8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 824 Gates and Sprockets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 824 Gates and Sprockets
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2017 02:01 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if the gates and sprockets on the Eumig 824D the same as on the Eumig 810D? Are they interchangeable?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 02:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
No, regrettably they are not.
The sprockets are fitted with standard 8 teeth, over these a thin round ring with Super 8 teeth fits over the sprocket for the gauge change.
Also, one part of the gate is the same for each gauge, only one half is interchangeable.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2017 03:15 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer:)

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 05:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed unfortunate that many Eumig dual-gauge projectors are sold without the necessary parts for the change of gauge.
Here are details of the model 824 for gauge changing, although not just for the 824 model.
Out of the box, new, the Eumig 824 is ready to show Super 8 films. By removing the side cover the gate for standard 8 is revealed. In a separate plastic envelope is a small panel approximately three inches square, on the panel are pins for fixing the two Super sprocket teeth rings and the spool adapter.
The back of the panel has an adhesive backing and Eumig suggest that it is stuck by the new owner onto some part of the projector !!!
So, to change for showing standard 8:-

1) Pull off the two sets of Super 8 sprocket teeth and affix them onto the little panel. The standard 8 sprocket teeth are now revealed, they are permanently in place.

2) Pull off the feed spool adapter and affix to the little panel.

3) Turn the rear inching knob until the small dot is at 12 o'clock. This is a very important action as it pulls back the claw to give clearance for the gate removal. Many owners are unaware of this and the result is a broken off claw as the gate is withdrawn.

4) Pull out the two parts of the gate. Separate. Remove the standard 8 gate from the side cover and add to the other half of the gate (just removed) and slide the two back into position.

5) Place the Super 8 gate in the storage position.

6) Slide the sound track switch to position 2.

Remember that you will need a Super 8 take-up spool for both gauges, the spindle is fixed for Super 8.
If a projector is purchased without all the necessary parts I suggest that it is returned to the seller for a refund.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2017 09:42 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually good new Maurice. The seller of the projector I'm looking at said it only hadthe Super 8 sprocket and gate. So if the Std. 8 sprocket and gate are permanently fixed. Then there's a good chance it WILL play std. 8 films and that's what I want it for.

I've gone ahead a purchased the projector with finger's crossed [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 10:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly, just like the film cutter, Eumig did not know where to mount the sprocket holder so they left it up to the owner of the projector! Mine is stuck to the top of the speaker cover.
Janice, when you get your projector, if you find that the top loop is continually being lost, it may be due to a cracked plastic holder, causing slippage on the top sprocket shaft. I have seen this problem on a couple of my Eumig's so it may be a fairly common problem. Anyway the solution is really easy - just bond the black plastic sprocket holder to the shaft.
My 824 does a great job with both reg 8 sound and super 8 sound. What a clever and beautiful design! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 10:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not good news, Janice, the standard 8 gate is not permanently fixed.
The gate comprises three items and uses 1 & 3 for Super 8, and 2 & 3 for standard 8:-
1) Super 8 gate
2) standard 8 gate
3) Gate backing piece.
Therefore, although it will obviously have standard 8 sprockets once the Super 8 are taken off, it may not have a standard 8 gate (item 2) in the side cover.
The gate assembly is not like some earlier models which had two gates for Super 8, and two gates for standard 8.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2017 10:34 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy [Frown] Thats not good news. Well...I already bought it...so I'll just have to see what arrives. Hopefully the gate IS there or else I may be left fishing for another one [Frown]

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 10:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us hope that the owner has never used it for standard 8 AND also has never taken off the side cover.
This is where the gate which is not in current use should live.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 07:13 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig 712D had the alternative gates and sprockets stored in a seperate plastic case so take care when bidding for one of them. I was lucky when I picked one up cheaply a few months ago.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC