8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Mickey Mcguire Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Mickey Mcguire Films
Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2012 06:41 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anybody had any 8mm films from the Mickey Mcguire series? Hoping to spend about $10 a piece plus shipping (if they were sound I would pay quite a bit more). I just have one, Mickey's Rival. Thanks.

[ April 14, 2012, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Zechariah Sporre ]

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one. I'll look it up. It's a 200ft release by Atlas films! It has it's original box, though the box is only passable, but brightly colored. Please e-mail me at ...

toac2001@hotmail.com.

By the way, though an Atlas release, the picture is actually fairly good, certainly passable (Atlas were never really known for thier quality), and it's not the one you listed on this, so it's one you could use.

... and for those who don't know, "Mickey McQuire" is a very young Mickey Rooney!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I just sent you an email.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 15, 2012 08:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sent ya one back ...

You know, it's a wonder that the silent Mickey Rooney films (as a child star) made it onto super 8. These Atlas films had the cover "Little Rascals" (even picturing the actual "Our Gang", and yet, in little print you have the title, involving Mickey McGuire, and not having anything to do with Our Gang.

... but that is not too surprising, as "Our Gang" and "Little Rascals" sells films, but who in the heck ever heard of "Mickey McGuire"?

Well, happily, we have!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 15, 2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the Mickey McGuire shorts were released on 8mm through Regent Films. They were silent, on 2x200' reels. Chances are Atlas had acquired Regent prints and put them in their Our Gang/Little Rascals boxes.

Here's an ad for what looks like a 200' compilation reel:

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 16, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COOL extra info there, Doug!

--------------------

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 06:07 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing the ad Doug. It sure seems somehow Mickey Rooney has lost out on some fame, Atleast, from what I hear (I wasn't alive back then). Both the Mickey Mcguire series and the Andy Hardy series were pretty popular when they were being released, yet now days few people have ever heard of either one. I sure would like to met him sometime, especially since he is just about the only actor left that started in the silent era.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 17, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... but just think about it ...

he started off on screen in the silent era as a child actor, and is still on the screen today, or at least, as of "A Night at the Museum"

80 years! Can any other actor boast that?!!!

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2012 02:41 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a plethora of Mickey McGuire comedies in the early std 8 days,usually cut to one reel, or even to 50 ft, and mixed up with Our Gang and other kid comedies,all presented as "Our Gang comedies". This needs lots of searching and identification to make out a reasonably correct list. Will anyone at last discover a Regent catalogue and an Atlas one? Blackhawk released two complete silents,and these are the best prints of,MICKEY'S MOVIES and MICKEY THE DETECTIVE. I have also two rarer std 8 sound two reelers: MICKEY'S TOUCHDOWN and MICKEY'S TENT SHOW.I don't know who issued them.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC