8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » David Ballew's Super 8 Feature Sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Ballew's Super 8 Feature Sale
David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 10:44 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everyone, I have one Standard 8 feature and three Super 8 features for sale, cheap:

THE GOLD RUSH (Charlie Chaplin). Niles print in original box. Super 8 silent. Four x 400' reels. Appears to be in very good to excellent condition, but I've never screened it. $30, shipping included.

RADIO RANCH (Gene Autry). Niles print in original box. Super 8 sound. Four x 400' Pliomagic reels. Very good to excellent condition, but I do recall the image lacking contrast-- probably that way since Day One. $30, shipping included. ON HOLD PENDING REMITTANCE

SUGARLAND EXPRESS (Directed by Steven Spielberg). Unknown print in boxes of unknown origin. Super 8 sound. Three x 600' reels. Some blue left in the leader, but I expect the rest of the thing has faded quite a bit, so keep that in mind if you make an offer. $10 firm-- basically, it's yours for the cost of a shipping box and postage. Play and experiment till your heart's content. ON HOLD PENDING REMITTANCE

THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1927). Unknown print in vented plastic boxes, on new white reels. Standard 8 sound. [EDIT: Given that this is a film from the silent era, I expect the magnetic soundtrack is music only.] Four x 400 foot reels. Inspected and found to be in fine condition, but I never got around to watching it. $30, shipping included. ON HOLD PENDING REMITTANCE

Thanks for your attention, everybody!

[ July 16, 2012, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: David M. Ballew ]

|  IP: Logged

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 11:51 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi will you hold sugarland express?

[ July 15, 2012, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Austin Holcomb ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 15, 2012 07:20 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, the Sugarland Express reel has 3 600' which max will be 90 minutes while the originally running time is 110 minutes. I suspect this is an airline print with optical sound as they always to reduce the running time to 90 minutes.

Unless you can say otherwise after checking

Thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2012 07:49 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you a PM.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 15, 2012 08:46 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That isn't necessarily true Winbert,I had the feature Ben Hur on
opt and still have King of Kings both in excess of 90 mins not
to mention numerous others such as Pale Rider,Shout at the Devil
The Yellow Rolls Royce,Get Carter,Death On The Nile,The Big Sleep
etc,all these films are in excess of 90 mins.The film Sugarland
Express will more or less be in the running time of 111 mins
as the 600' spool holds more film running time due to being a
thinner stock and the abscence of stripe,thus giving more space.Therefore the film on the 600' spool could be 35mins
per spool.

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it magnetic or optical sound I can only play magnetic .

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 15, 2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

Please see on the leader of your optical prints are saying "Airline Prints" or not. if it is not, than it is just optical print but not necessarily for Airline uses.

The reason of Airline prints always edited because obviously it would be shown to all ages thus all nudity and violence will be deleted, spool capacity as well as flight duration.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 15, 2012 07:18 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,the prints sold by Derann,years ago like Pale Rider
and Sudden Impact were ex airline and were the full films,minus
a gruesome scene or two,and they are over the 100 minute mark.
Derek had bought 20 copies of each film,and sold them for
£169.99.The films were 4x600'

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2012 04:26 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everyone.

I have PM'd Austin, Winbert, and Zechariah.

I should have been more careful to make clear that my print of "Sugarland Express" is magnetic sound. I have no idea of the provenance of this particular print. The (probably homemade) boxes for it look as though they've been through the wars. The actual film stock looks clean enough-- relatively few splices, no obvious sprocket damage. But I am very concerned that the color has faded, which explains my rock-bottom price.

Thanks again for your interest, everyone.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
I sent you a PM

[ July 17, 2012, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Roger Shunk ]

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2012 12:30 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David please check your email
Thank you

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC