8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WTB: Top Hat & Summer Holidays (Full movie)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB: Top Hat & Summer Holidays (Full movie)
Calvin Ow Yong
Junior

- posted May 26, 2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Calvin Ow Yong   Email Calvin Ow Yong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Do you know where I could get my hands on these 2 full movies?

1) Top Hat (Fred Astire) 5 x 400' or 2 x 800'
2) Summer Holidays - Cliff Richard

Actually, could someone tell me what is the difference between the 5 x 400' and 2 x 800' Top Hat full movie? I did a search here and it seems the 5 x 400' is regraded?

Thanks for any advise!

Calvin

--------------------
calvin

|  IP: Logged

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 08:46 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Private message sent.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 01:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calvin,

None of the company has ever released film on 800' spools.

Back to the old days, full feature was usually spooled on 400' reels, until 1980s where 600' reels were later often used.

So of if is said to be 2 x 800', this must be someone have re spooled film onto bigger reels.

We cannot say what is the different between 5 x 400' vs. 2 x 800' until we see them. Because some movies were released on different versions, i.e the same title at the same time was available on 4 x 400' and 5 x 400' for the sake selling it cheaper price for the first one with a little editing.

The tricky things is while 4 x 400' will definetely fit onto 2 x 800', however, it is not impossible that 5 x 400' can also fit to the same reels. The difference is that the later will be very full until the edge of the reel.

So, once again, you need to project the film first to know which version is on 2 x 800'.

Btw you are from Singapore, I am in Indonesia, we are very close. How big is the super 8mm film collector scene in Singapore?

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Even some Derann features released on 4x 600ft spools can,in some cases, just about fit on 2 x 800ft spools due to the extremely thin polyester stock used.

It really does vary from film to film what titles can fit on what spools.

Derann had a habit of releasing some films with only around 300ft on some 600ft spools if it fit in with the original breaks from the negatives.

[ May 26, 2015, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Calvin Ow Yong
Junior

- posted May 27, 2015 12:11 AM      Profile for Calvin Ow Yong   Email Calvin Ow Yong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

Thanks for your reply with all the helpful information. I guess the 2 x 800' advantage then is that you don't have to keep changing the film. It's convenient. But it looks like it will be a safer bet to get hold of the 5 x 400' for the full movie experience. And I am not sure if the stock reel that comes with my Eumig 810D (which I bought off Ebay last month), can support the 2 x 800' anyways. But in the end what's important for me is quality and condition of the film.

I tried googling for 8mm film owners here in Singapore but I think there isn't a community for it. I think I may be the only one here in Singapore interested to start a collection! How is the 8mm community there in Indonesia?

I have grown to like the old films especially the Frank Astaire ones. I think I might start a post later to see who will be interested to sell their Frank Astaire full movies.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information.

--------------------
calvin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 04:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Calvin and in my experience, I don't know of any of the 5x 400ft films that I own that wouldnt fit onto 2x 800ft spools.

So you would always still need to ask the seller for clarification as to what version you are potentially purchasing before you would know for certain.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 x 400ft of 'Summer Holiday' went for around £25-£30 last week on E-bay,description stated loss of sound on one reel for about 90 secs if I recall correctly...

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 06:51 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!Calvin,welcome to this great fórum,i do have the to hat in 5x400ft witch i mounted in 2x800ft.this is release version it runs in 82 minutes,there,s also the 4x400ft version,but if you find a print in 2x800ft,you better ask if it,s the 5x400ft or not,-
it,s seems you asked iftheeumig 800 take 800ft spool,no it,s only take 600ft,i hope this can help

regards:
luis caramelo

Calvin Ow Yong
Junior

- posted May 28, 2015 12:02 PM      Profile for Calvin Ow Yong   Email Calvin Ow Yong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve@ I did found a SUMMER HOLIDAY 4x400FT for £49.99 here: http://www.theoldfilmcompany.com/Page2_7.htm

But it was graded as D - Purple/Pink Tint/Fade

Luis@ thanks for the information! Happy to have found a 8mm community here.

--------------------
calvin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC