8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Super 8mm Metal 600' cans/reel wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8mm Metal 600' cans/reel wanted
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 14, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 metal cans (2) and reels - Best, Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Metal?
I would be careful using metal cans if the super 8 has mag striping, I have seen hundreds of reels of mag breakdown inside metal cans over the years.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 14, 2009 05:27 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some 40 years of working with film, I've maintained many sound prints in metal cans with no change in performance. Metal cans are sturdy and work fine for me, let me know if you have any and thanks [Smile]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must have the magic touch [Smile]
Unfortunately I have lots of 400's but no 600's....I have some plastic 600 reels and these plastic sort of box types that have a flap that opens....How often do you watch your films Shorty?

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, more on the breakdown of mag stripe please... film source, age, storage condition...

Thank you!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 15, 2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I'll "air" out my collection twice yearly, even for just inspecting the need for extra re-winding loose on their respective reels, and will watch certain films eventually seeing them all and making notes, sort of a book idea I'm working on; "Notes Of A Film Collector" type of thing - Again, mag stripe has had no effect detrimentally on screening and maintenance while encased in metal cans - Presently, I have 26 such shorts in metal cans and run as fine as if they were in plastic (which I don't recommend at all), the majority are in light cardboard, and no matter what oxides are released, still never have I had to replace or repair a print for that reason in all these years - Shorty

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good info..... I am guessing the most helpful part is that you are opening the cans on a regular basis...I have seen a number of collections come in to the archive I work at and the difference for both vinegar syndrome prints and broken down mag is tight metal cans that never allow any "breathing" Even the plastic cans being used nowadays have vents for such.... The brown goldberg brothers cans (mostly 16mm)I call death traps, because 9 times out of 10 if a collection has been sitting in a "non-active" environment for some time these goldberg cans will be both really hard to open and filled with either vinegar film or flaking/powdery mag that can sometimes smell very similar to vinegar. I have seen this enough to feel comfortable saying this..
I have even seen collections where they were stored in decent/active methods for most of the films' life and only the last 5-10 years in less desirable conditions, and it is the metal ones where I find the problems...I recently came across 10 copies of a trailer that were sent out together in a box in 1972, the box sat in some guys' closet for the past 37 years until we picked it up. Same environmental variances..8 of them were in 2 x 2000 metal cans and were completely vinegar, 2 were in a lab box and were still as beautiful as the day they were printed....It is cases like this why I have made my statements about metal cans..
For those of us that are using our collections, via inspecting, projecting, etc I do not think there is much to worry about beyond simple concerns (ie: don't place the nitrate on the stovetop, or the safety in the back of the car) because the film is regularly being exercised, but when the day comes that the collection may become a second, third or even less priority is when the type of storage container will play the factor.

I think your book sounds like a great read because it is from people such as yourself that we can learn the little hints that we may not have any other chance to know... I'm looking forward to it....And don't get me wrong I am not trying to pass myself off as a know it all, far from it...I'm constantly asking the oldtimers for advice on everything...I just feel like I have been lucky to have had certain experiences working at the archive acquisitions department and picking up film from peoples houses, backyards, storage spaces, schools, libraries, studios, garages, attics, etc, etc, etc that I have recognized similarities and trends over time.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC