8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Titanic ...fans (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Titanic ...fans
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 12, 2012 03:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I desribed the man as a hack director and also a plagiarist
and I stand by that.If that man had maligned a member of my
family in such a way,then turned up at my home to try and
justify himself,then I'm afraid my hands and feet would have put
an end to his discussion,cos' thats what I do.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 12, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Lee the above should read Adrian.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 12, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh - I acknowledge that you're perfectly entitled to your view but with regard to describing Mr Cameron as a "hack" director, I felt I should express my disagreement. I won't go into details why, though, as I don't think there's much chance that either of us are likely to change our minds!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2012 07:16 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the Kino DVD of the German Titanic from 1943, a very good film and I would recomed the DVD as it also has on it a 1912 newsreel with the Titanic sinking, and also a promo film from the White Star Line in the early 1920s about Titanic's sister Olympic.

Also last night I watched the 1st episode of the new Titanic miniseries, looks good.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 14, 2012 02:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks, its the evening of the 14th April, in a few hours time it will be 100 years since "Titanic" came to grief hitting an iceberg, soon I will thread up the projector and run "A Night To Remember" to mark it.

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 14, 2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic fans may find this of interest:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/04/16/120416fa_fact_mendelsohn

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 14, 2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Edit: Michael...you must have changed the link...I was commenting on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxj1mou03M&feature=g-hist&context=G2a75243AHT4m3-gAAAA [Big Grin]

[ April 14, 2012, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 14, 2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting and well written article.

Graham.

PS.If you watch the dvd you will notice the part has beem removed from the film, where the dead child is handed to Kenneth More on the upturned lifeboat. cant think why that scene was removed?, as its there complete on the Super8 print.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I read a review of the new Criterion blu-ray of ANTR. Apparently, the scene has been put back in.

I do not have it myself but as soon as I do I will confirm. The transfer is supposed to be excellent.

In the meantime, if I get back from the hospital before 11, I may watch some the new miniseries tonight. ABC is running 3 parts from 8 to 11.

Also, in other ships on blu-ray news, 20th Century Fox has finally released "The Poseidon Adventure" as a Wal-Mart exclusive. It has all of the extras from the DVD. I hve only watched some of it as there are sound problems with my disc. Will have to replace it this week.

Chris

[ April 16, 2012, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 15, 2012 03:17 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice - the you tube link was earlier in the thread. I posted a new link to the New Yorker piece.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 15, 2012 03:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris

That would be great and glad you mentioned it. I will keep an eye out for that one, hopefully they will release it out here.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 15, 2012 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Night To Remember - Blu Ray

-

Well this month is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking. James Cameron is rolling out his epic movie again, this time in 3D, and Criterion have just released a Blu Ray edition of, what most people regard as the definitive Titanic movie, the Rank Organizations classic A night To Remember. Starring Kenneth More in what is probably his best film, ANTR is really more of a documentary film than any of the other dramatized versions. It has none of the superfluous romance story of Cameron’s film. ANTR was made on a shoestring at Pinewood studios compared with Cameron’s $200 million plus epic, but despite this it is by far the better film of the two. In fact if you compare them you can see that Cameron copied ANTR almost shot for shot in some places.
The new Criterion Blu ray has been mastered at 2K resolution from the original 35mm camera negative, which was restored by ITV studios. It is presented in its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio. And it is a brilliant restoration job, the best I have ever seen this film, with deep contrast and razor sharp images showing amazing details I have never seen before. The mono sound track is excellent, very clean with all hiss and noise removed.
Extras include a 24 page booklet about the Titanic and a 1 hour documentary on the making of the film, an interview with one of the survivors, commentary, and a 50 minute BBC documentary about iceberg's.
Very highly recommended.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 02:33 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be buying that Paul! I see also Fox has re-released the 53 Titanic on Blue-Ray so i will be getting that as well!

Pat

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 02:56 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barbara Stanwyck/Clifton Webb film is on blu-ray? Awesome! I hope it has all the extras from the DVD. I watched the "Beyond Titanic" documentary last night. It covers all of the films made about Titanic up to the Cameron film. It also talks about how the Titanic inspired Irwin Allen to make "The Poseidon Adventure". The DVD has some newsreels and two commentaries.

Also, I watched my 400' S8 digests of this film and ANTR two nights ago. I think both are edited very well. "Night" looks good but "TITANIC" is a bit washed out. Anyone else notice this or is it just my print?

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 16, 2012 03:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s been nice reading all the Titanic posts on here and elsewhere over recent days, along with the mass on television coverage and radio broadcasts taking place. Perhaps the highlight for me was the gorgeously crafted ‘Titanic A commemoration in film and music’ which was from Belfast. The programme included some thoughtfully presented music, words and clips which made for a superb programme and we sat here silently enjoying it. Its not very often you see such a high quality content live broadcast these days but they certainly pulled it off very well indeed.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 04:12 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris
My 400ft TITANIC is washed out as well also has some scratches that are in the master that was used which is a shame, got it on 16mm as a feature though and it is great!
Yea I hope the blue-ray has the special features on it like the dvd, One of the best things on it is the audio commentary with Robert Wagner giving some interesting insights, as well as several others who worked on the film. there is a website that shows all the models etc from the Titanic films and is very interesting to see the 1953 Titanic model is still with us after becoming the Queen Mary in Gentalmen Prefer Blondes and the Goliath in Goliath Awaits then being restored back into the Titanic again.
http://www.jimusnr.com/Model1953page.html

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 16, 2012 01:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to do it. I pulled out my 400ft reel from Cameron's "Titannic" (it's the reel where the ship actually hits the iceberg) ...

By the way, we (wife and I) also watched a documentary on PBS about the Titannic sinking. It was quite interesting, in that it has a lot more onfo about the behind the scenes stuff, how the brave souls kept the boilers going for as long as possible, ect. It was quite good. It has a great number of dramatizations, but based upon the factual accounts.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 16, 2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did'nt Blackhawk put out a short reel of actual Titanic footage, including shots of the staterooms and Captain Smith on the deck?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 08:42 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Yes, there is a Blackhawk release of Titanic.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 17, 2012 02:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup and the only problem with it was the ship shown was the Olympic. The film was produced by a quick thinking film maker in 1912 for a paying public that was more than keen to see footage on screen. The old Blackhawk release is however rather interesting and quite nice to watch out of curiosity alone even though it’s not the actual Titanic. We will be projecting this film at the film fair this weekend by the way.

Here is the newsreel http://youtu.be/93bf8ITtiVI

Incidentally the chap who posted the above clip is the UK leading expert on RAISE THE TITANIC and well worth watching all his clips.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC