8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Outland

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outland
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2011 03:51 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been a while since I last watched it, I still remember watching it at the movies when it came out around 1982.
Tonight I ran the DVD through the video projector, even though the movie is now 30 years old [Eek!] it made me think that in todays world of CGI etc, that you still cant beat a good cast of actors that many of those films had back then. With Sean Connery and James B Sikking remember him from "Hill Street Blues" and with outstanding music by Jerry Goldsmith, directed by Peter Hyams it still comes across really well and hasn't aged a bit [Smile]

I understand Warner Bros are making a remake of it. [Roll Eyes]
 -

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2011 02:35 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the question. These remakes just flop every time. Have they not learnt yet. The original as you say has no CGI and yet we have a great film. No need for a remake, just have some brains to script a film from a new screenplay. It's just pure lazynesss these producers have to regenerate films from classics hoping some one willl want to see a remake. Waste of time.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 25, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, whats the point of remaking it? Maybe a sequel with the continuing adventures of the "space cop".

By the way, that film could be in the "Alien" or :Bladerunner" world. It holds up quite well today. I have the widescreen laserdisc of it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 07:28 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's virtually a remake of "High Noon" which was a significantly superior movie.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 02:48 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was noted in the original review of the film. A great film at the time, very injoyable to view. A picture of it's time and not in 3D to promote it.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 05:04 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like this film myself and it is one of three Sean Connery films that I have 16mm prints of. It is a lovely print on low fade stock however it is a tv version so it is not in the correct aspect ratio and it is edited so as to not offend my delicate sensibilities [Big Grin] .

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC