8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Some more on "Grit"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some more on "Grit"
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 08, 2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ...

We rented the film "True Grit" from the Redbox machine last night.

The film certainly wasn't a throwaway. Jeff Bridges was quite good and a paunchy Matt Damon as the Texas Ranger Le Beoff was OK.

However, I really didn't feel aything special about it. OK, I know, I am comparing, even if I don't wish to, with the original, as it's in the back of my mind as I watch ...

... but I got the feeling that even if I had never seen the original, I would think of the "Grit" as a good try, but not too memorable, perhaps one or two views and I'd tune it in if it was on TV, but that's it.

There was another thing that really struck me ... just how much a good score adds to a film.

The Elmer Berstein score for the original "True Grit" has some magnificent set pieces to it, that really enhances the exceitement of the film. As a cdomposer, I listen closely to a score and how it enhances or drags down a film. There were one or two upliftign moments in the score, but it was mostly a case of "minimalism" and it certianly did little to enhance the story.

For instance, in the original, "Mattie Ross" basically had her own theme, as did Rooster. When there was an action scene, the score really rose to the occasion.

In the case of the new "Grit" it just didn't capture my imagination. On a plus side, however, it did stay a little more true to the original story, and that was appreciated. There was one point where I wish that they had "changed the story" (something I sually disapprove of), where they could have had Rooster survive long enough (twenty years later) for Mattie and Rooster to re-unite.

Your opinions, ladies and gentlemen?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This probably applies more to the non-Americans among us, but I and a number of others found great difficulty understanding some of Jeff Bridges' dialogue.
As I posted elsewhere, the last shot of the middle-aged Mattie walking off into the distance reminded me of a cross between Mary Poppins and Nanny McPhee.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new version of 'True Grit' was a disappointment. I thought Jeff Bridges mumbled too much in an attempt to give the impression of a tough no nonsense individual, but in the process threw away and wasted the same lines that John Wayne had made a meal of in the original. The costumes and make up in the new version were more in keeping with old photographs of the period, but a film needs more than cleverly observed scenery, it needs a certain spirit that the original had in abundance. The music in the first version had an uplifting effect and John Wayne himself said that he was born to play that part.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 09, 2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Allan (and the previous post) about some of the mumbling by Jeff. I think Jeff attempted to give a realistic portrayal to Rooster, (perhaps he thought it would be the way the questions would be stated in reality), and I think the Wayne's portrayal had a more "theatric" appeal.

One of the best examples in the film where the film really appeared to drag was when the "new" Rooster was taking the injured Mattie back to get her help. This was place in the original film that both action and music grew to an incredible and emotion charged crescendo. The remake just didn't have that feel.

Another point (which just occured to me), was that in the original, we see Rooster and Mattie growing together as friends. It's a gradual process. I really didn't see that and it almost seems like the Bridge's "Rooster" suddenly seems to care about Mattie at the end.

La Beouff's character just seems to ride off into the sunset in the modern version. What happens to him? We don't know. In the original version, he does get injured in the same way, however, it's a brain injury and is progressive and the scene there, after Mattie is rescued from the pit and strokes his hair, lying next to him, is charged with emotion. We even saw a slight relationship (possibly romantic) between Mattie and Le Beouff. Could they have ended up an item?

All three characters do not seem to have any real connections, emotional or otherwise (in the modern version), and just feel as if they are thrown into this situation together, (which, in fact, they are), but they never grow closer in any realistic way.

OK, i have been balling out this modern version. I must say it wasn't a horrible western, it just doesn't hold a candle to the original.

--------------------

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2011 06:08 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Osi! Dennis Hopper gave one of the most memorable small role performances in the original of the death scene of Moon. The remake had the Moon character say something like "Dude, I'm shot in the leg" as if he wasn't even hurt... Matt Damon was the only improvement as Glen Campbell was no actor.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 10, 2011 06:00 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original was the best. Except for Glen Cambell with that perfect hair as a cowboy. It never got messed all through the film. The Duke was outstanding and Kim Darby was terrific. And the music in the original was terrific and well placed.

That's not to say that Jeff Bridges didn't do a good job, he certainly did. But, not as good as John Wayne. John Wayne was in my opinion the best cowboy ever. The scene when he puts the reins in his teeth is unforgetable. I think some films are best left alone and shouldn't be remade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it [Wink]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's film makers are striving for a more realistic approach as regards the end product. Scenery, costumes, fashion etc., should be as authentic as possible, and where there's blood it is now shown in abundance. This is exactly what I missed years ago, when I saw, for instance Burt Lancaster playing Wyatt Earp without a moustache, and when Kirk Douglas didn't seem to look enough like Doc. Holiday. Now I think we have the realism at the expense of some of the showmanship. Burt's Wyatt Earp, though not tailored and hirsuite to the correct degree, was equal to the part and carried bags of conviction. The music to 'Gunfight at the ok corral' was stirring and conjured up an exciting atmosphere. The new 'True Grit', however, made an exciting story pedestrian. I had to watch some of it again, as I nodded off at the first showing.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 27, 2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest Derann list has a copy of the Marketing 3/400ft version. I once owned a new print long ago and sold it...big mistake. If the colour has held up, then this one should be good. If I remember right it was well edited, sharp image and really nice colour. As mentioned that was years ago so hopefully this copy is fine as the one I had was printed on Polyester stock. If I remember right the film was not filmed in Scope so the transfer to Super8 should be fine with very little loss of sideways picture area. What impressed me with the 8mm version was the wonderfull colours of the location shooting. I wont be after this print for myself as my wife would kill me and as she watches a lot of "CSI" [Eek!] I wont take that chance. [Smile] for any John Wayne fan this is a good one...best of luck.
 -
nice screen shot dvd of the original "True Grit" 1969 John Wayne and Kim Darby great scenery, great actor, and great music by Elmer Bernstein...you cant ask for more from a western [Smile]

Graham.

[ June 27, 2011, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2011 08:41 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lush cinematography by Lucien Ballard deserved more attention except he shot "The Wild Bunch" the same year... great work that aided the story telling without drawing attention to itself. Roger Deakins work was superb and a completely different approach in the remake.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the same cinemaphotographer on two of the greatest westerns, all in one year!

I have always felt that 1969 was truly the greatest year for the Western. Think of it ...

True Grit
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

... and, depending on where the prints were at the time, this one would also make a claim for 1969 ...

"Once Upon a Time in the West"

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 28, 2011 11:02 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 30, 2011 05:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

1969 also saw "Mackenna's Gold" open as a Royal Charity Premiere in London. I always considered it an unusual western but what a cast plus great music by Quincy Jones and the song Old Turky Buzzard sung by Jose Feliciano, I once had the LP a million years ago [Smile]

Graham.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2011 12:15 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was Osi! I remember it kinda caught some critics by surprise since the public seemed just about done with westerns due to the over saturation of them on earlier TV. Only Gunsmoke and Bonanza were able to wheeze their way into the top 20 shows by 1969. The 1960's were a great time for western fans on the big screen.

Ride the High Country, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Hombre, Cat Ballou, The Sons of Katie Elder, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Professionals, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Hang Em High, and the above 5 mentioned films all left an impression on me when I saw them and still like to see them today.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC