8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Finally, a great 3D film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally, a great 3D film
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 18, 2011 12:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally I have seen a 3D movie of significance, where the 3D technology really contributes immensely to the impact of the film. I am talking about Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams, which is actually a documentary film about the Chauvet-Pont- d'Arc cave in southern France, where a team of scientists discovered the magically pristine cavern in 1994, and within it a series of magnificent rock drawings that have been carbon dated to be at least 32,000 years old.
I have been so totally jaded by the endless runs of CGI animated 3D mediocrities that I had basically written off the whole 3D thing, both at the cinema and at home. But this film has turned me around. It uses the 3D technology in such a lovely quiet way which gives the film so much more involvement and interest than could possibly be acheived in 2D. It is an awesome film, which suprisingly ( being a documentary film) is playing at first run theaters such as the Regal chain here in the USA.
One thing I noticed though was the uneven screen illumination. I was sitting on the left side of the theater and I noticed right away that the right side of the screen was quite dim. Bad projector bulb?
No, when I took a break and walked across the theater to the right exit, the right hand side was now bright and the left side was dim! Obviously, the cinemas have installed highly directional screens to boost the brightness of 3D movies, which are dimmed 50% by the 3D glasses. Fine for the people in the middle but a bummer for everybody else. NOT a good idea!
The movie was great but my first cinema experience in over a year reminded me of what I dislike about today's cinema experience. First we had to sit through about 15 minutes of commercials for anything from Coke to auto insurance agency's. Then there was about 20 minutes of the usual modern hyperactive and deafening trailers. It all made me long for the 1950's cinema when we would have someone playing the organ in a beautifully lit proscenium setting, followed by just a couple of trailers and a Pathe Pic.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of Werner, I think of a great director of years gone by. So, is this a brand new Herzog film I hadn't heard about?

I have always been fond of "Aguirre: Wrath of God" (that last long lingering shot of the broken up raft, with Klaus walking amongst the mocking monkees was always quite wonderful!).

That and his lesser well known ut interesting, "The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser" (based upon a true story, mind you!)

... and I've alway thought Wernors "Dracula" film was thee cool ultimate creepy vampire film. Herzog has this way of lingering, sometimes for minutes on end on just one shot to make a point, and I always loved that very long shot of the ship, unmanned, slowing creeping into port and, upon stopping right where it should, rats come pouring off of it. Absolutely great! (and didn't Klaus make a wonderful vampire?!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember double features with a cartoon many eons ago. I still haven't seen anything better than It Came From Outer Space with double 35mm projection. The problem with today's 3D is digital projection's lack of light hitting the screen.

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2011 03:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest poll here in the USA has shown most people prefer the see the latest "Pirates of the Carribean" film in 2D over 3D. Apparently, people have grown weary of the 3D effect........... this is exactly what happened in the 50's when 3D in B&W was introduced.

[ June 19, 2011, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Dafnides ]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2011 04:29 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you was going to say Green Lantern lol [Smile]

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2011 03:08 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,

I think the problem is that Hollywood has released too many 2D to 3D conversions and the public can see the difference and the layered effect this produces, hence logo's like 'TRU 3D'. Hollywood are not doing the system any justice by doing so!

Best.
Rick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC