8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Watching Films at Grandma's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Watching Films at Grandma's
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 18, 2015 03:07 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My grand kids stayed with me all last week. One of their requests was to watch a movie on my patio. They like the movie FEDS... so Grandma made it happen. The only problem is that it doesn't get dark until a half hour after their normal bedtime. The 8 and 9 year olds didn't have a problem staying awake, but the 4 year old didn't make it through the 3rd reel [Smile]

If you look carefully in the top photo, you'll see my son's cat, Buster, looking out the sliding door.

-

The next night they wanted to watch Laurel & Hardy. We watched 3 L&H sound shorts and a couple Woody Woodpecker cartoons. It's great to see young kids laughing at these old films. The 4 yr. old's attention was focused more on his Ipad until the cartoons came on... then he was glued to the projection screen [Smile]

- [Roll Eyes]

[ July 18, 2015, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2015 05:24 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,

Nice to see their happy faces,
lucky Grandchildren.

--------------------
James Wilson

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 18, 2015 08:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, Janice. I'm surprised the little boy has an Ipad at the age of four, I guess this will happen also here in a near future. Children, despite what one can think like cine projections. I noticed it also, to my great (good) surprise some year ago. If you can find a movie camera and shoot them, you will see how they will be happy to see themselves on the screen :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 18, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son has been around this stuff his whole life, but only the last few years has come to understand that not everybody is even aware it exists these days.

A couple of years ago he had a couple of friends over to play X-Box, then they decided to go out in the yard (Good! -get some fresh air for a change!).

As they were passing through the house I heard:

"What are those?"

"They are movie projectors."

-So good for you, Janice! You're showing your grandsons a whole world they may never had even known about otherwise. Besides that, there should be something special about visiting your grandparents: something to anticipate when they know they'll be headed to your house.

Your "something" is pretty cool!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 18, 2015 02:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You have the perfect Garden Janice for these outdoor screenings of yours. This is something I would love to emulate but sadly our gardens in many instances are just not long enough to facilitate this here.

Looks terrific fun with a very appreciative audience that even includes Buster the cat! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Who needs Ipads for anything other than posting on the forum?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2015 03:54 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, Here! Film is basic, film is hands-on and simply fun. It's flawed, it's grainy and it's often bulky and clumsy, but it's all part of what makes it FUN!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2015 07:57 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Janice, my grandkids enjoy the "weird" film thing too [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2015 04:48 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your grandchildren will always have fond memories and years from now, they'll be saying, "Remember when Grandma used to show us real movies?". My nieces tell me they remember my movie showings from when they were very young. One question: with all the projector repairs and troubleshooting you do, how do you manage the time to keep such a beautiful and immaculate yard?

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 20, 2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grand kids are back home now. It's sure quiet around here. I hope they remember these evenings watching real film. I'm sure they will. When they stay with me they call it "Camp Grandma's."

@Paul...I'm glad the yard looked good in the pic, but it really isn't that impressive. I have a mow & blow gardener that takes care of my lawns. I keep it simple...not a lot of flowers... mostly green. April to September I have a veggie garden, but between the drought and some pesky squirrels this year my crops are very sparse.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC