8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm Scope Trailers: Valued?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm Scope Trailers: Valued?
Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
Today we went fleamarketing and found a bunch of 35mm cinescope trailers. I have no idea who or if anyone may be interested so i wanted to get some info.
The films are NOT on reels, and i don't know how long they are. each wound bundle of film looks about 5-6" circular worth of film, about the size of a 400' super 8 reel, but in 35mm.
Here were some of the titles i remember:
*Scorpion King
*Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
*Some trailer about PT cruisers.

Some of these look newer due to the titles, like pt cruisers are newer aren't they? Maybe these ones are only 10-15 years old or so?
Any info is welcome.
a)Should i go get these or forget about them?
b)Any value and if so, approx how much?
c)If they might be of value, any features or film media type I should out for?
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 03:11 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a search on eBay. There are usually a lot out there and recent. They are worth something but not a huge amount I guess because not that many enthusiasts run 35mm. People also cut them up and sell as 'film cells' which is a bit barbaric but there it is.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 03:26 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steven,
Your right! Just had a look. Many of them come with a small spool looking thing as well. It looks like some titles in the 80's seem to fetch more. I probably should have grabbed the Scorpion King and Charlie Chocolate factory ones since they would at least get back what they were asking. I may go back again once i become more educated...They may still be there. I can't see any value in the car advert ones, but i am not in the know on these at all...
Thanx,
Matt
EDIT: Found this auction. Looks like they are pretty much valueless other than to a collector who wants that particular trailer. Great to know! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-and- Chocolate-Factory-2005-35mm-Trailer-FLAT-Collectible-film-cells-1min-/262034432626?hash=item3d02782272

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 06:12 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, but 16mm or Super 8 copies of the same films are worth a lot more, of course.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 02:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "spool thing" is a standard 35mm core. The trailers will probably run 3-4 minutes. As they are 'scope they wold not be really suitable for "film cells".
You could try them on eBay but as a personal thought I am not sure if it wold be worth the trouble and the cost.

--------------------
Maurice

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you Maurice. That info is also helpful.

I agree that these are not really worth it. Igt is one of those things where you see them and then think 'Hey, I wonder if others may be into these' and then find out that hardly anyone really is into them.
The fact that 8,16 etc... is more user-friendly as well. I mean, who really wants/needs such massive film anyway:)
If someone goes this far, they may as well go to IMAX [Smile]
I think the idea of using the cells for art projects is probably where most of these may end up.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 01:13 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, the 'scope cells are not really any good as they have side squeezed frames. These expand to twice their width when projected in a cinema with an anamorphic lens which doubles the screen width image whilst retaining the original height.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC