8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » picture sharpness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: picture sharpness
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi every one.
Can anyone tell me what to do to get the best picture sharpness, I have an Elmo st-1200HD with an f1.3 lens, but I am not altogether happy with the picture sharpness, I just can't seem to get it right.
is there anyone who could tell me what the best lens is to get, I hear a lot about the superior light output from the f1.1 and f1.0 but will they give me the crystal sharpness I am after.
Chris.

Thanks Mal,
I ran a modern Derann print and got reasonably good focus and definition, [Razz] I then ran a 25 year old Walton print a couldn’t get the same result. [Frown]
I think this proves your point Mal.
Well still might go for the f1.0 when the bank manager lets me, “Her indoors that is”
Thanks to Alan and Tony and anyone else who replies to this post, what a great site. [Big Grin]

[ December 10, 2003, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Chris Quinn ]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris
The f/1.1 or 1.0 will increase your light output and those lenses give a sharper across the frame image. Print sharpness will vary depending on the original master material and prints from the 1970's/80's will not look as good as the best of modern prints. A better quality lens will help, but if the definition isn't there in the first place, you should see an improvement but don't expect 'crystal clear' images. Good hunting, Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 09, 2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know about the Elmo ST1200 series. I use to own one but I could never get the focus sharp from side to side. I am pretty sure that there was an adjustment that could have been made but I just ended up selling it!
The sharpest print I have seen was with my Elmo GS1200 Xenon with a 1.0 lens and the optical print of "Spaceball". It was sharp from corner to corner and it never waivered. One of the worst prints? The 400 ft cut down of "Enter the Dragon". I kept trying to focus it and then finally realized it wasn't the machine!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2003 02:15 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I have 2 ST1200's and use 2 lenses, an elmo 1.0, a schneider 1.1. I also have the original 1.3 lenses. I will take a look at the 1.3's but as far as I can recall the picture was not bad at all from the 1.3 but as has been said the source material does make it.
The 1.0 I have heard said is hard to focus but I have not had much difficulty myself but then again I am very shortsighted. The schneider has the best contrast I find for black and white films and I find myself using it all the time.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 10, 2003 10:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
I have found that the difference between the f1.0 lens and the f1.3 lens is like day and night. The f1.0 gives a much whiter picture with razor sharp images. The correction and field flatness of the f1.0 lens is vastly better than the f1.3, plus I believe the f1.0 lens uses glass components whereas the f1.3 uses plastic optical elements. You can certainly feel it in the weight of the lens, the f1.0 is so much heavier than the f1.3. The f1.0 lens is so superior that you will never go back to the 1.3 lens again.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 10, 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
To Alan and anyone else interested there is a screw at the bottom of the lens holder where it closes shut. In fact it acts as the lens stop position. This screw adjusts the side to side sharpness which becomes even more critical with the f1.1 and more so with the 1.0 lens due to the lower depth of focus. You are best to use fairly new non striped film to do this adjustment as variations in stripe thicknes etc will have an effect on this adjustment. A nice grainy film is what is required here and then check for the "Boiling Effect" from side to side. Adjust this screw for best overall focus. This adjustment is on ALL Elmo machines.
Hope that helps, Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC