8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another Elmo ST1200 question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Elmo ST1200 question
David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2004 12:40 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to say here ST1200, is this the same as ST1200HD?
If not what does the HD signify.
Thanks
David

--------------------
Regards,
David

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2004 04:24 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand to be corrected on this (Kev?) but I think there were three variations of the same machine.
First came the ST1200 (Blue coloured?) then the ST1200D and then the ST1200HD. One difference from the early machines was the introduction of the jockey roller to reduce wow on start up. I have no idea what the D and HD represent.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I too Mal, have never been able to work out what the D or HD stood for. I wonder if it was some German abreviation for High Light output or the like. I havent been able to figure an Enlish word or words which correspond to those letters with any good meaning.

You are quite right the ST1200 was obviously the first 1200 footer from Elmo and then they released the 1200D which had an improved transport mechanism. Both were single track machines with optical or magnetic sound and available with out the optical sound as a cheaper option. The ST1200 HD was an improved update of the D with the addition of twin track sound although they did not offer true stereo sound output.
The D & HD are virtually identical and both share the same parts mechanically but it was the amp etc which changed to allow use of the 2 tracks.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 14, 2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HD is "Heavy Duty",according to Candy who as many of us fondly remember was the brilliant parts girl at Hanimax.The old 1200 with no D OR HD is a completley different machine and has a single belt drive. The only difference in the D and HD is the modification to the second sprocket guide rollers which has two rollers and are spring loaded for sound improvement where as the D doesn't have two rollers after the sound head. [Smile]

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
I think Heavy Duty sound a bit odd, this would make the 1200D 1200 "Duty" I would have thought this would have been made up by the sales men to exsplain the HD. But i don't know Candy and she may well be right, as it is a good name for a heavy and well built machine. Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, I would agree with Chris on that one. Yes Heavy Duty for HD but not Duty for the D. So what did the D stand for? Where does ST, GS and SC come from? I know we had this discussion once on the old forum but I dont remember anyone coming up with a difinitive answer. At least with 16mm we have 16CL (chanel load) and 16AL (auto load) etc which makes sense. Tom, some earlier HD's had the single roller as I had one with this configuration years ago. A mod during the early life of the HD.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2004 03:56 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In MM mag circa late 70s-early 80s this debate about the meaning of HD and D would arise now and then.Never saw anything but speculation! Trev

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC