8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS 1200'S Calm down everyone!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS 1200'S Calm down everyone!
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having never been fortunate enough to own one of these yet,(i will one day) i cant really say too much but i read with interest some of the comments on this subject.It is like everything in life, the best things do cost a little more money and the fact is when they come up on the list they sell, and sell quick, Looking at the the old ST1200HD it is obviouse that Elmo went to great lenghts to ensure thier machines were of excellent quality. I do like the comparison with concorde because that is a machine that never looked dated in all its years and the GS is very much the same as far as design is concerened. I'm often surprised that dealers do still get away with charging as much as 1400 quid for them but again this is simply supply and demand, if people pay it they will charge it, if i had a spare grand or so tomorrow i'd be making a purchase myself,Just imagine how good the next generation Elmo's (and other machines) would be if they went on for another 5-10 years, Eumig were always nice machines and my brother still likes them with his sonmatic 822 and his 810D but for me they just wern't heavy duty enough, he had both the last efforts from eumig, the 840 with its stereo sound and futuristic looking bulgy side panel with red LED counter but unfortunatley they suffered with the same old problem, weak heads, and poor drive system that use to make the machine run slow almost to a standstill, My trusty ST1200HD is an excellent workhorse and has been so relible i wouldn't want any other make, perhaps they should have used the frase,reliabilty comes as standard! [Wink] Anyway one day a GS for me!!!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

I do hope that the horse play on the other thread does not now transfer over to this one!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony:When do you expect your website on the Elmo to come on line,all I can get is 'page under construction' ?

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 01:33 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at my watch Tony swinging, you are feeling sleepy.
You are feeling happy carefree thoughts from your youth.
You wish to divest yourself of all worldly goods and sell your HD to Mark, rather cheaply too.
When I count to three and snap my fingers you will wake up, rush to the phone and beg mark to buy it from you.
1, 2, 3, snap.

Heres hoping.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

Glad you started that other little thread over there. Looks like we are going for a new world record.

GS owners are so tempermental!! [Wink] not like their projectors.

I didn't even start on the ST series. Now there is a clapped out machine.

Reminds me of the days when all you had to do was mention video.

Did you get fixed up with a projector yet?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike no not yet, still wondering what to go for thats worth the cash.
The 180 was a bit high really finally.
Looking for a nice quiet machine with optical sound for a fiddle on really, something fairly good and affordable.

I have to say I agree with you RE the GS`s, they are nice but a bit of a gamble if your not handy like kev etc I think a fair price would be £500 at dealers for a nice one and say £200-250 privately.That way you`d have a bit in reserve for the repairs. Shame they were cheaper and more widespread from the start.
I`m not talking about what they go for but what would be realistic.
I really fancy a nice bauer, 600 or the like( still not an elmo though) but the motorbike has just cost me over £500 and rising steadily. It was only worth 1K before it went in for the bits and will be worth that once it comes out!!!!!! seem to have gone down a one way street with it and too late to turn back.
I still think that £ for £ the best machine just about ever and nice to use and reliable are the elmo 600`s but you never know maybe one day I`ll see a GS in the local add paper for £50 and a pile of films to go with it. It does happen!!!!
Best Mark.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try Buckingham. He has a Bauer 610 for £395.00

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

Sad to say that I am advertising Kevin Faulkner's handywork here. I just don't have the time or the ability to create one just now because I am constantly repairing my ST, GS and SC etc etc. [Wink] The rest of the time I am rolling around the floor from Mr Newell's postings [Big Grin]

Mark, thanks mate, I have just given up smoking, this hypno lark really does work after all. Also just placed an ad in the local paper.........

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony tell me you don`t smoke, please !!!!!
If I have been of service all for the good.
That 610 sounds quite good for Bucks, still a bit beyond me really. Were you tempted Mike.
Last time I had a bauer it was lovely once I realised it needed a firm acetate leader on my kodak polys or it misthreaded a bit and touched a bit here and there. Much like some elmo`s do.
Only let it go as I got Elmo envy but even a beloved elmo 600 sounded like a bag of spanners out for a riotous picnic compared to the bauer.And boy did I miss it.
I do wonnder if prices of films and projectors are going to hold up or fall a little. I think features are already slipping a bit.
I don`t suppose it will mater to dealers as for instance if they buy a film for £50 and sell for £100 they can then buy for £30 and sell for £80 or so but privately there has been a bit of downward movement.
Realistucally if prices do drop more new people may come in to the hobby pardoxically.
Best Mark.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prices will drop we will be homeless and filmless for Christmas!!

PP

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC