8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projections (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projections
Steve Wainright
Junior

- posted May 26, 2004 08:30 AM      Profile for Steve Wainright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many collectors here in the UK have the new mag "Projections" and what we think of it, myself its good, just the right balance of 8mm and DVD and lets be honest DVD projection is here to stay.
Big thanks to Barry Littlechild for doing a great job.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2004 10:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Wilton subscribes and has given it the thumbs up. I'll take a peek next time I'm round there.

Come on Steve, what are you into then? Put a new thread up with all your home setup details, your favourite films et al.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD here to stay???

No, there be some other format out in five years. No better, just different enough to keep the 'con' in 'consumer'.

--------------------
Tim

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 26, 2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the top of this page it says "8mm forum" not DVD. 8mm is for collectors of the nostalgic past and for people who like the look and sound of fim. Of course DVD has replaced films , film projectors, and vcrs, but it can't replace the lure of the past until it to is in the past. I don't think anyone here thinks 8mm is competing against state of the arts technology. Okay, I've said it. Now back to my dark room to kill small animals and put them on th BBQ. [Eek!] [Razz]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve

I haven't heard about this mag', where can I find out more?

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 26, 2004 03:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i agree this is a film forum i'll just have my say, first off the projections mag is excellent, a good balance between the two and Barry has done a good job in taking it on as it is often a thankless job,(as one of theletters within it states). I like the whole film thing, the showing and the feel of the film in the fingers, it is a hobby and a very rewarding one, nothing can replace the reel thing. As for DVD, it is a good thing mainly,in my opinion, for those who want to collect movies the easy way,you can hardly call a library of discs a film collection, like Tim said, as with many electronic mediums they change so often, all those VCR's are going to be a thing of the past with DVD recorders and with so many formats!!! Super 8 has been around for decades and the projectors will play films from around the world, none of this region code, nonsense. No doubt there is already something to take the place of DVD somewhere in the background, i do use it but mostley to get things which will never appear on 8 or 16. They dont often mention the 200-400 quid a dvd projector bulb will cost you when they sell them do they? Anyway thays that, PROJECTIONS is an excellent little mag packed with lots of goodies. I sometimes think we all get a little bit under the coller with DVD, we can live with it the same way we have with video, it does have its good side. Did anyone think there was a little too much dvd on sale at the BFCC? If it is to make an appearence perhaps a seperate part should be reserved. [Wink]

Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom:

An observation from across the pond. I've been going to and help putting on nostalgia conventions since the early 70's. When we put on a convention, the dealers were notified in advance that the newest item that could be offered for sale would be 25 year old. Anything newer than that and they would be required to take it off of the table. This keeps the nostalgia in the convention. We found that if you allow the newer items in, they will eventually take over and kill the type of convention you are putting on.

It would be my observation that maybe you could allow one or two dealers to sell DVD's only and appease the public that wants the old movies on DVD.

I've seen many annual conventions go down the tube because they allowed too many "non-convention" items to be put up for sale.

Hope this wasn't too far off the thread. Just a sore spot that got pushed on.

Now back to some good movies,

Dick Lee

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2004 02:53 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,
I wouldn't worry to much about dvd's, they come they go and although some of our forum friends like to play with video projection, there is no passion out there for it. I have talked to members who own video projectors and they hardly ever bring the subject up unless asked and then the reply is (Oh it's under the table in a box somewhere) While caressing there 8mm/16mm projectors.
soon dvd will be replaced by none mechanical means of storing and playback, for instance flash cards that are used in digital cameras, within the next 15-20 years will be able to hold hugh amount of data. and how could any one get romantic about a piece of card
Film collecting will continue, comparisons of quality between dvd and film is ridiculous, who cares, i don't, i just want to get the old girl out, put a reel of film on and enjoy something that the rest of my neighbours haven't got.

So how do i get a copy of projections?

Chris. [Smile]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 27, 2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
e mail sent to you Chris with details. [Wink]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2004 04:25 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Could you email me too with details of projections, or post on here?

Thanks

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 29, 2004 04:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, Could you let me have the details too.

Thanks, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 29, 2004 06:03 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Boy's
E mails on the way.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2004 02:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I had a peek at three issues of Projections when I visited Keith on Friday. I always thought Silver Screen Magazine was a waste of time and Projections appears to be just the same magazine under a different name.

I have to give credit to the people for having a go but isn't a project like that worth doing with some style?

I suppose it doesn't help when Barry Littlechild writes under his regular pseudonym and says 8mm projection at the BFCC is "crap". Perhaps he finds it funny. I just think his knocking, snipes and criticism harm the hobby.

What is needed is something to fill the hole left by "Ace Magazine". Perhaps "Projections" will develop. But the printing and paper has to improve markedly before it has a chance of filling Ace's shoes.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

I agree that ACE has left a gap, I think that any regular publicatiion that is going to [a] do well and [b] bring more interest into this hobby needs to embrace super 8 film making as well, that is where the growth and interest is at the moment and film collecting can only benifit from more exposure to that younger group of largely 'newbies' who are amongst the many people who would love to collect films if they only new the hobby exisited!

Mike.

--------------------

Steve Wainright
Junior

- posted June 02, 2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Steve Wainright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

I think the saying goes if you can do better then do it, why not have a go and publish a magazine to fill the gap left by "Ace" instead of whinging.
And another thing at least Barry Littlechild pays to get into the BFCC so it does give him the right to express his feelings, you have'nt even paid the £5 subs for the magazine so it really does not give you any rights to complain and criticise.

Come on John show us how good you think you really are and bring out a magazine to replace "Ace"

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2004 02:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I wasn't whinging and I can't understand why you feel so offended. You're not Barry under yet another pseudonym are you?

If Barry has the right to criticize why is it only the BFCC his snipes are aimed at? If it was up to me I'd have barred him from all BFCC's some time ago but that Wilton's just too nice and won't let me do it. He has a definite grudge against us for unknown reasons. Personlly I think it's just a simple case of jealousy.

And as for me thinking I can do better I didn't say that. But now that you mention it perhaps you didn't know that we reached 20,000 readers last year. I set up the web site simply to promote the hobby and nothing else. For that reason alone I think it's far more worthwhile than Projections.

Sorry Steve, the magazine's just not very good (yet). I did say there is the potential to improve but having felt obliged to support Silver Screen Magazine in it's early days I don't feel I want a modern reproduction of it coming through my door as I never liked that publication either. That may change but currently it doesn't jump out at me as a great new source to promote the film collecting hobby.

--------------------

Steve Wainright
Junior

- posted June 02, 2004 02:58 AM      Profile for Steve Wainright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

I can tell you im not Barry littlechild, I have only seen him at Blackpool convention and not to speak to.

This is such a small hobby I dont know why their is so much sniping and back stabbing, what does get me is all the self appraisal and how wonderful we all are, lets not forget if it was not for us ordinary collectors YOU would not have a BFCC.

Please lets just give one and other a bit of praise now and then for their efforts, I could say how amateurish the web site is and lacks no professionalism and is just dull and boring but I wont.

Im sorry if i got on my soapbox but it just makes my so annoyed how some of the 8mm fraternity is with reagards to the electronic media and change, the heady days of 8mm are long gone as much as i dont want to admit it buts its true, its the wind of change.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2004 04:45 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would put it another way, if it wasn't for us you would not have a BFCC.

I was pulling your leg about you being another Barry Littlechild pseudonym. As far as I know he only uses the "Rex" one.

Sorry, the new magazine is not particularly good. If you think it is then I'm not going to take any notice of what you have to say about our web site. Although I appreciate "lacks no professionalism" means it is professional. Others have looked at it and think it is the best overall source of information and pictures for the Super 8 film collecting hobby available. I don't think it's the best site in history but I haven't seen anything else like it for our hobby - which is why it exists.

Also interesting that your first post on here was specifically about the magazine. DVD projection may be here to stay but some of us were video projecting before DVD was even available. There is nothing new in it and however good it has become it is not a hobby in the sense of film projection. It's just a pastime similar to television. This is an 8mm forum. If I want to read about video projection I go to the home theatre forum. And that is a really boring forum which indicates the lack of involvement with that pastime.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 02, 2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Wow boy's time out, [Wink]
I must say on this subject that altough i have not yey met barry i dont think anyone has a right to take the P*** or slag off either the BFCC of forum/8mm/cine collectors. Barry, if you do read the forum perhaps come on and explain. I do see John's point as at the convention i asked if Barry was there so i could just politley introduce myself but when i heard he slagged off the BFCC and forum users it put me off, this is a unique hobby and i think we should all be very pleased and thankfull especially to the likes of Derann and classic home cinema for keeping it going, i wonder what dickheads reading this are a bit peeved as they said it would be dead and buried by the year 2000.
well you were wrong [Big Grin] . Anyway, round two, ding ding!!!!! [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2004 01:52 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It occured to me last night why Barry decided to take on Silver Screen Magazine (albeit under a new name); it's because he'll be able to carry on taking the p*** and casting aspertions which otherwise he cannot do. I suppose he could have a go in Film for the Collector but I don't think Derann would put up with it.

The last snipe in issue 1 of Projections was the last straw for me. I've had enough of the bloke. However, I still hope the magazine develops and does fill the shoes of Ace. Based on the issues so far this doesn't look at all likely but it's not impossible.

I wish I was able to just attend the convention and enjoy myself. As it is I have to ship loads of my equipment and films along and be stressed all day long just for the benefit of the hobby. Steve's posts answer some questions I've had about people's attitude towards the BFCC - some seem to think I'm in it for the money. What a laugh, each one costs me quite a bit but I've never minded as I've been in it to showcase Super 8 film collecting and do my bit to prolong a hobby I've been into since the age of 3. No other reason. Where else can you see 8mm on the scale we put on at the BFCC. Doing some of our shows is far from easy as I know many of you understand.

GRRRRRRRRR.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you send me details of subscribing to Projections at rko471@ntlworld.com. Your unofficial Publicity Manager has
made me curious. Nice to have an independent super 8 magazine again.
[Wink]

Mike

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 03, 2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think John and Keith deserve a standing ovation from all film collectors for the superb job they do at the BFCC, in Super 8 Review, the Filmtek videos, and on the BFCC web site. These two gentlemen are leading the way in all aspects of Super 8 film collecting. Anyone who has the audacity to criticize their efforts is very small in my book.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy o Boy

Did I wish I had seen this one live instead of going on holiday for a week!!

Not read the article or met "BL" but should be fun ! Perhaps we can all arrange to meet him at the next BFCC (lol).....

I like DVD projection (oops) but as JC says it is a means to an end and super 8/ 16 / 35 is king. Not worth getting het up about really.

Ahhhh, shame its not Xmas

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 19, 2004 04:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, looks like I have come in on the end of this one too. I would just like to add a small point and Duncan if you are reading this can I just point out that you have a circulation allready for FFTC so why dont you really go for it (now that Ace is no longer with us) and make FFTC "The Magazine" for us collectors. More reviews, more techie bits and maybe some reprints of articles form earlier mags such as Moview Maker etc. I'm sure if you made the FFTC mag more exciting for us collectors you would be able to increase the subscription to help and increase your circulation. [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, FFTC has become rather bland and stale in its contents and is no longer cutting it. If you have from issue 1 you would understand what I mean. The old issues you read and reread. The new ones half a hour and you are done. [Frown]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC