8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound Problem on ST1200 HD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound Problem on ST1200 HD
Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2004 06:55 AM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can Mr.Elmo or other Elmo gru's answer this werid problem for me.Last time that I used this projector,about three months ago it worked perfectly.When I went to use it all that I got from the sound was a loud hum.So I took the film out and pushed the record button for 30 seconds and trie it.Now it works perfectly.

Any answers.Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 14, 2004 07:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a guru, but I've noticed on my ST-800 that sometimes after it's been idle for a while it produces very little audio signal, to the point where the hum is much more audible than the sound. I've found that tapping the record key a few times restores things to normal. This is actually part of the pre-show ritual these days.

(I have a feeling that an oxide is building up which this breaks)

When I first got the projector I had a similar problem that was solved by inserting a plug into the headphone jack and then pulling it out. I'm guessing this one was also oxidation related. It has not recurred since then.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 15, 2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, Steves explanation is spot on. Most people use their machines for mainly playback so the record/playback switches remain in one position. An oxide coating tends to build up on the exposed terminals within the switch bank and this results in bad continuity. The switches if used regularly are self cleaning so what you are doing does help to sort the problem.
I put my GS into record several times on each use just to keep the switch contacts clean.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve and Kevin.From now on I will do that every time I use one of my machines.I have a GS also.Thanks again.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC