8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wedding on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wedding on Super 8?
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2004 03:32 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two years, I got a friend to film my wedding using my Super 8 gear. Was wondering whether anyone else in RECENT times, has had their special day recorded using film? Now, my sister in law has requested that her wedding be filmed on Super 8!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough my neice, who gets married in May next year, has asked me to film her wedding on super 8. I haven't yet agreed to it because I'm thinking that there will be a lot of pressure to get it right and I won't enjoy the experience.

Maybe I'm just being selfish [Roll Eyes] ?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People like the sometimes unsteady look of it and like imperfections too. Tell her it's only for fun or something like that, and she'll be ok. She'll be ok. Showed my wedding film tonight. As usual, someone left saying "must get our cine projector down from the loft"

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2004 05:16 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot some footage of the daughter of a friend last year. Got some great shots of the official photographers who were having problems. Why do 'official' photographers always get flustered when they are being filmed?

I found some great KII wedding pics on R8 from the '50s. One sequence was general panning around the guests when the camera pointed towards a couple of women taliking, with their kids generally fooling around. One of the women noticed the camera, and grabbed her kids and made them stand still for the photo!

On serious note, concentrate on the outside stuff. You can get good shots on K40 inside in a room with plenty of windows, but you have to be lucky. If you use an imposing camera with a big lens hood, people stay out of your way.

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to have a friend film my wedding 12 years ago, but was between operable cameras and this was pre E-bay.

When my sister got married in 1976, the photographer's assistant did a very professional looking 150 footer. It's still wonderful to watch.

Note: Very close friends of the family have one 50 footer of their wedding. (the only film they own) I've been invited to their 50th anniversary party, and asked to bring a projector. The same thing happened at their 25th anniversary.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2004 03:18 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the weddings i have been to lately have at least 5 video cameras flying all over the place, by the evening the kids take over because the parents are more interested in the free booze.
You can imagine the quality of these home movies, so i wouldn't worry to much Mike, you are easily going to have the best footage as film is more precious due to cost and of course you tend to plan your shots better ending up in a more coherent film.
But then I’m sure you know that. Go for it!

Chris. [Smile]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2004 04:05 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As coincidence would have it, I have a friend coming round this morning with her parents 50ft standard 8 film of their wedding. It was taken in Worthing in the 50s' and we are hoping to take some stills off it for her parents.

I've seen this film already as I projected it for her parents about a year ago, they hadn't seen it for many, many years and they were amazed as I was at the fantastic quality of the images, the colours are still fantastic after nearly 50 years.

I wonder how a video would fare after that length of time?

If I can work out how to do it I'll try and post an image from it on here, never had any success doing that before though...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2004 06:23 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early 70"s, I worked for a photographers in the West Country and did a few Wedding films,mostly on standard 8.
In fact,the most stunning result I ever achieved was shot on a little Bolex B8 camera with a single prime lens and shown on an M8 projector,also with a prime lens.
I forget how much we charged for this service,but I seem to remember having a lot of fun doing them!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC