8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Does this look suspicious.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this look suspicious.
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been keeping an eye on ebay lately. A few GS1200 have sold cheaper then usual. I missed out.
I now see this one. Item number: 3859174883

Do you see those wires hanging out. He says he does not have a power cord to test the unit. I wish ebay offered some way of warning potential buyers.

Would you take the risk if you could get this under $600

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link in case it makes it easier for others to check it out; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3859174883

Those wires suggest the back panel has been taken off and put back on without much thought as they have been allowed to get trapped. Not a good sign.

If the seller can't give any assurance that it is working, even basically running you could be taking a big risk so only really worth paying what it would be worth as a parts machine.

Of course, it might be totally spanky and lovely you'll get a real gem. I guess you pays your money and takes your chances...

If I was looking, I would probably pay up to about £400 for a GS 1200 that is unseen and untested, but even then that's a big risk.

Sorry, not much help [Frown] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike
I wanted to hear from someone else that they were seeing wires as well. Did not know if my eyes were playing tricks on me and it was a scratched photo or something.
Taking a risk on with him saying he cannot test the projector is scary enough but seeing those wires is a double red flag.
Im going to pass.

Its really strange how the timing on ebay must have something to do with a sale. For a while the GS1200s were selling sky high. Could not figure it out. Now they are going cheap again.

Thanks!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 16, 2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
Those wires come from the speakers. Just as Mike said, someone obviously removed the back cover and didn't put it back correctly.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC