8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Rising Euro and the Sterling...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rising Euro and the Sterling...
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 29, 2004 08:27 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi USA guys....I have a question for you and for our european counterparts as well.
Since the pound and the Euro are so strong compared to the dollar, have the rest of you yanks been curbing your Derann dollars? I have noticed that unless a title is very, very rare I will pass. With the sterling being what it is all the titles are almost 2x as much as normal!
And then do our european counterparts find you are spending more on Ebay and American goods MORE because of the weak dollar?
I was just bored this morning and was curious! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

We like to think of it as the Dollar being weak!
For us the weakness of sterling euro is an issue from a cine viewpoint
Yes, personally I love the Dollar where it is as I am buying far too much from the US!#

I am bored as well- supposed to be at work!

--------------------
Tony

Carlos Augusto Marconi
Junior

- posted December 29, 2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Carlos Augusto Marconi   Email Carlos Augusto Marconi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan

You not ask for us, in south-america, but here is happening the same, the price of dollar is falling down, last months. Better for the people like me that buy in US, and worst for those that need to sell.

I'm at work too.

Happy new Year to all

--------------------
Marconi

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carlos

Happy New Year!

Better make hay whilst the sun shines on this one- the US always comes back fighting and we all feel poorer!

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2004 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Agree with all the above, I'm at work and bored and buying far to much from the States through Ebay [had three more MGM 400fters arrive this morning], my Pay-Pal account is looking rather bleak at the moment [Frown]

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 29, 2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! I spend my days looking at Ebay too! Everyone comes by my office and says, " bidding?" I say no. Then I secretly bookmark and wait till auctions end to pounce!
Have you seen the print of Pinocchio that the guy wants $300 for? Puleeez!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 30, 2004 02:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how about a 2900 euros (that's 1900 GBP or 3900 USD) print of Empire Strikes Back ? Have a look here...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ups!!???
If any one want, I have also a 16mm LPP print of Empire, I sell it for the half of this price.
And you can get Star Wars (fuji scope) and Return of the Jedi LPP scope too.
(But they are all german duped).

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2005 04:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you can get Star Wars ('Scope) on Kodak pre-stripe if you're lucky enough to find one. Keith Wilton has the only semi-decent print of Star Wars I've seen and that's because it's from the first run when Derann first put it out on Kodak pre-stripe stock.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 03, 2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting info John, as mines also on Kodak Pre-stripe. I have a copy of Empire also on Kodak but Jedi alas is on Agfa but not a bad print.

Kev. 666 The sign of the devil. Made it Tony!

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 03, 2005 06:47 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost had Star Wars prestripe through Derann...but some thieves broke into my car and smashed the window....Grrr!!! [Frown]
Kev, I have less than half the posts you have..sadly I feel half the man!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 04, 2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
No not at all Alan. I feel like half the man at the moment as I had my CBR nicked just before xmas. Nothings sacred.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 04, 2005 10:47 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev and Alan, I feel like half man half way, a dollar short a day late with one foot in the projection booth. I must say, it's almost like being there. I think I'll take Chip's advise and put on Oz with Pink Floyd. If this post doesn't make sense then I've succeeded. [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Razz]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, are those Elmo horns I see appearing?
Alan, we all feel half the man as the great Mr Elmo....

Back on topic-how do you tell Kodak pre-stripe? I assume some edge markings? Can anyone take a close up shot and post it?

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC